Culture Shock - Chinese American in China - The Reverse Effect

Many Chinese have wanted to come here and start a new life but have you ever wondered about the Chinese that wanted to go back to their roots. Not the ones that came here originally from China but the ones that are ABC (American Born Chinese).

Most ABC runs into a major culture shock when going back to China. The language, clothes, and other habits. Listen to the voices of those who ventured back to their roots to see the walls that they have found going back to heir parents homeland.

When asking my son if he is Chinese or Greek, he will tell you that he’s an American. Great answer but listen to those ABC that use the same answer and get different responses from the Chinese mainlanders.

Many Chinese have wanted to come here and start a new life but have you ever wondered about the Chinese that wanted to go back to their roots. Not the ones that came here originally from China but the ones that are ABC (American Born Chinese).

Most ABC runs into a major culture shock when going back to China. The language, clothes, and other habits. Listen to the voices of those who ventured back to their roots to see the walls that they have found going back to heir parents homeland.

When asking my son if he is Chinese or Greek, he will tell you that he’s an American. Great answer but listen to those ABC that use the same answer and get different responses from the Chinese mainlanders.

Fascinating subject. Here's part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3BEO3Ggxg&playnext=1&list=PLB39A5149F81BDBEF&feature=results_video

• Like 1

The university where we Li and I taught for our last four years in China had a college level program in Chinese language and culture for the children of overseas Chinese. Most of the students were foreign born and from America, Australia, Canada, Malaysia, and especially Thailand. The fascinating thing was watching the native Chinese students interacting with them. Most of my students were English majors and fairly fluent, but they would often lapse into speaking Chinese to the students because they were Chinese. For some of the native students it was hard to wrap their heads around the fact that these foreign born Chinese were more a product of their own culture than Chinese culture.

Guest ExChinaExpat

The best parts of this documentary is that it presented the views of Chinese young people in their own words. What I found most compelling was how all of them had experienced difficult challenges regarding their identities. For example, Kristen Lum, the young Chinese / American girl who was forced to complete paperwork to visit her friend's building in China. This was despite the fact that other foreigners were allowed to pass though without completing the paperwork. She looks Chinese, therefore, she is Chinese and subject to the required behavior of all Chinese. When Diana was asked her name by Chinese people, they wanted to know her real name.

In part two, the long-haired man, Kaiser Hua who had been working for Baidu in Beijing for over 15 years, believes it's possible for Chinese to have a multi-cultural perception of themselves. Is it really possible though, or is he just living in a separate world reserved for elite Chinese people?

So, will Chinese people always be Chinese regardless where they were born and held to a higher standard by Chinese born citizens? Most likely yes. By the same token, is it possible for a foreigner to ever be considered to be a Chinese person? Not likely in this lifetime.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)

So, will Chinese people always be Chinese regardless where they were born and held to a higher standard by Chinese born citizens? Most likely yes. By the same token, is it possible for a foreigner to ever be considered to be a Chinese person? Not likely in this lifetime.

I've said the same thing seems like 100 times especially many years ago. When we go back to China and are treated like royalty do you really think that they love you so much or do you think that they have an alternative motive especially the ones of us that have a little money in the bank. I recently read an article and watched the video of a guy and his Chinese wife and two children about him moving back to the US after 14 years of being in China that he could not take the non acceptance in the country any longer no matter how hard he tried to fit in.

The only one that I can remember that seemed to really fit in and was accepted in China was ole Bill. But then again he did bring in millions of dollars to the Chinese economy. He even had the much sought after Chinese Green Card.

Larry

In stead of going back and adding to my last post I'll just make another one. My wifes family use to treat me the same way until I refused to send money for the following reasons

1. New Mercedes for brother in law.

2. New laptop for brother in law, the best one made.

3. Bring brother in laws 15 year old daughter here to house and educate through college all at my expense.

4. Bring brother in laws 7 year old son here to raise and send to college at my expense.

5. Pay for cancer treatment for a nephew of mother in law that had less than 2% chance of living. $40,000 paid for up front and in full before treatment would be started. Mother in law paid for it and he lived two weeks.

6 $100,000 to pay for brother in law to buy a new apartment for himself and his new wife. He is older than my wife by about 10 years.

7 $10,000 to loan brother in law to start a new business. Mother in law gave it to him and he pissed it away in 3 months.

8. They gave him another $20,000 and he pissed that away in 6 months.

This over the last 13 years.

The parents ask for most of these things or demanded them but I would not concede to any of them. So now my hair is not so fair. Now if mother and father in law need help for medical treatment or to upgrade their standard of living I am willing to do that. In fact I have already done that. But I am considered a Grinch My obligation is to my wife not the entire village. Sure I could have given them the money and what would be left for my wife when I'm gone. I am quite a bit older than she is so I am sure that I will go first.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)
Guest ExChinaExpat

The parents ask for most of these things or demanded them but I would not concede to any of them. So now my hair is not so fair. Now if mother and father in law need help for medical treatment or to upgrade their standard of living I am willing to do that. In fact I have already done that. But I am considered a Grinch My obligation is to my wife not the entire village. Sure I could have given them the money and what would be left for my wife when I'm gone. I am quite a bit older than she is so I am sure that I will go first.

Larry

Totally follow you in this dichotomy. To thine ownself be true when it comes to culture and matter of money and heart. I have grown very rigid in this regard as a matter of survival in China.

• Like 1