The Latest Revenue Stream

A Chinese photo booth (traffic cameras) - these are popping up everywhere. There are 4 (one in each direction) at this intersection, and many around town, Even saw one in the middle of nowhere approaching a small (otherwise dark) town. The lights are on continuously. This is the latest revenue stream for local governments.

gallery_1846_633_58461.jpg

I first saw those cameras in Australia in 1999...they already had it down to a science by the time I saw the first one. It took years before I saw them in the DC/Baltimore metro area. So far, up here in the sticks if they put one up some good ol' boy would blow it away with his 12 guage Mossberg double barrel.

Hey, the coppers gotta make money for the politicos pockets somehow, and who better to pay fer it than city slickers? Eh? :eyebrow:

tsap seui

• Like 1

I remember my auto got booted once and I was shocked. When I went to the cop shop they said I owed 28 tickets. I had no idea. Turns out they were all tickets "earned" from those cameras and the address I had on file was an old one, so I never got the notices.

They have been setting up red light cams in Rochester NY, most of the revenue goes to the cam operator based in Phoenix AZ. A compleat crock, be aware they also zap for rolling right on red.

Fortunately they don't count as point generating violations.

Yes - at least here, the only penalty is a ¥100 fine. The ticket is given to the registered car owner, who then reports who the driver was. After 12 tickets, the driver needs to re-take the driver's exam. My wife did that once. But so far, we've made it through 2012 without any tickets.

I got one of those Red light tickets, came with a photo of my truck with license plate for proof. It cost me $75.

Dan, you are just a dang wildman animal !!!!!!!! :happydance: I tells ya.

tsap seui

Yes - at least here, the only penalty is a ¥100 fine. The ticket is given to the registered car owner, who then reports who the driver was. After 12 tickets, the driver needs to re-take the driver's exam. My wife did that once. But so far, we've made it through 2012 without any tickets.

Well re-taking the driver's exam is a penalty. In my ol' USA town all cam tickets carried the same points as in-person ones. I don't mind the traffic cams at all or the other surveillance cams all around us. It is a natural progression.

Wow!

No cameras here in MN. A few years ago these cameras were installed and the government was sued. After a lot of legal business, it was determined that the cameras were not legal under the Minnesota Constitution!

So currently, no cameras and I don't think there will be any in the near future.

That's how it's done in the great state of Minnesota at least!

We need to deal with the tough winters but not some stupid cameras at least.

A guy on talk radio went to court over a 75 dollar camera fine. Texas law, and I think all laws, have to do with an individual commiting a crime, not your car. There is no evidence who is driving. So he got objection after objection in in court from the city attn, and so the guy finally asked a question of the city attn if he had any proof that it was him driving the car. No. So the judge dismissed the case. So technically you could probably beat these tickets. I may do the same next time.

The man ended his story by admitting he did run the light. But he beat the thing.

A guy on talk radio went to court over a 75 dollar camera fine. Texas law, and I think all laws, have to do with an individual commiting a crime, not your car. There is no evidence who is driving. So he got objection after objection in in court from the city attn, and so the guy finally asked a question of the city attn if he had any proof that it was him driving the car. No. So the judge dismissed the case. So technically you could probably beat these tickets. I may do the same next time.

The man ended his story by admitting he did run the light. But he beat the thing.

In China, the question is "Is this your car, or not?". You tell them who was driving, and pay the fine. More of a "You're either guilty or you're not"-type thing than innocent until proven guilty.

In China, the question is "Is this your car, or not?". You tell them who was driving, and pay the fine. More of a "You're either guilty or you're not"-type thing than innocent until proven guilty.

Well good ol Plano, TX is sure revenue streaming. And yes you go to a private company to pay. I still need to get my name off of her car title, because guess where the bill comes everytime she turns a corner?