Our first new house together - HELP!

Fu Lai

Funny, I got a blue print today and immediately my girls says... "there's a wall there they don't have on the blueprint." Ugh. So I will get a digital copy of the blueprint tomorrow and then physically go see the place again to match the drawing with reality. In the meantime we have been tamping through all the home furnishing megastores they have here. We came up with a pricing of stuff for our office/library:

1 Desk Y1000
2 Desk chairs Y600
1 Sofa-bed Y1800
1 Comfort chair Y1000
1 Shelving unit Y1000
1 Overhead light Y150
1 Desk light Y100
Total: Y5650

Good luck with the new house Fu Lai. I wish the best for you guys. It's a great feeling owning outright a new home in Chinertucky. One of my happiest moments was getting home the first time to my girlfriend's new home, and walking into the door oohing and awwing at her great job of directing the workers and furnishing the place. Looks like you and the wife are onna roll.

tsap seui

Good luck with the new house Fu Lai. I wish the best for you guys. It's a great feeling owning outright a new home in Chinertucky. One of my happiest moments was getting home the first time to my girlfriend's new home, and walking into the door oohing and awwing at her great job of directing the workers and furnishing the place. Looks like you and the wife are gonna roll.

tsap seui

Thank you suh! :) I may have a little influence over what style we go for in decorative furnishing, in place of not showing my face at the place until the main stuff is done ("if you're white like rice it'll cost twice the price and maybe not be done nice")... LOL!! She kinda takes some pride in "I want our home to be different than the others with your American influence" ... while she is busy picking out her electric mahjong table.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/113920575/Automatic_Mahjong_Table.jpg

She was so happy that I insisted on having a round, turntable dining room table. hahaha Little does she know that comes from me being lazy in not reaching over the table for the dishes or waiting on others to pass them around. I did grow up in a 10 member family house that was a little more than competitive over food dispersal so I am laughing at the thought of the "lazy susan" tug of war we would have had every dinner at such a table!

http://www.lafurniturestore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/D/S/DSC_0683.jpg

we have experience in Wuhan - we own one completed apartment and an unfininished townhouse. My wife's brother and my mother in law have just finished apartments too and we know of good contractors here. I think we need to talk about it. my wife is great about getting things done here - we are here for one more week so let's get together - e-mail me

Marty

Yes sir, I got the blueprint.

Blueprint closeup

Then my girl headed off to a show of 400 contractors all vying to get work. Of course I was ordered to NOT GO. She narrowed it down to eight, interviewed them (read: grilled), then went for a package costing 99999RMB that normally cost a bunch more. She knew this company but thought it was too expensive but they made her a deal she could not pass. Yes, Marty, it is the same one we talked about that day we met.
The link to their deal is here: http://www.jhzs.com.cn/Cases/Cases-430.asp
This is an example:
http://www.jhzs.com.cn/Images/UpFile/2011628161215969.jpg

Anyway, they do everything and we pick the details. Kudos to my lady for pulling the trigger! Word is we will move in this October.

• 4 weeks later...

Now a competing contractor wants us to do their deal. Since we have to wait three months for the air in the house to clear all the way before moving in, this company offers to do all the labor of fixing the apartment for free if we allow them to use it as a model for the three months.

Any insights into this, prior experience in China of this, pitfalls or pro/cons?

TIA

Now a competing contractor wants us to do their deal. Since we have to wait three months for the air in the house to clear all the way before moving in, this company offers to do all the labor of fixing the apartment for free if we allow them to use it as a model for the three months.

Any insights into this, prior experience in China of this, pitfalls or pro/cons?

TIA

Our contractor had their own model home set up that people could look at that they were able to do exactly the way THEY wanted. It's not clear that that would be a good idea even from THEIR point of view, since they would be setting up YOUR home, and would only be able to use it for a VERY limited time. I would figure it as a sales gimmick on their part, and look at the overall offer to see if it really does offer a good value. The model home here was pretty well watched over, so damage may not be an issue.

The offer says they will fix and install the house, the ceilings/floors, the walls, the plumbing and heating, the kitchen and bathroom complete, the electrical and all fixtures, the balconies, the doors, etc. as long as we provide all the materials and put no furniture in it until they are done showing it. Yes, a sales gimmick so they can have a model for three months without the big costs.

Sounds like it could be a good deal. You get to pick everything they install. Now, if they will install it how you want it, then Bob's Yer Uncle.

tsap seui

• 2 weeks later...