Our first new house together - HELP!

Fu Lai

. . .

I would be the last person to imply China had a plumbing code or anyone other than foreigners who gave a caca about the reason for sewer gas, just stating where and why you would use an S-trap as to a P-trap, it's all about space and a short tube of "trapped" water separating the sewer gas from the air in your home, or room.

I agree with closing off a floor drain in a hotel room but fail to understand a cup of water first. If the floor drain led into an underfloor trap in the first place there would be no problem in the first place, otherwise it's just gonna run on down the line with no trap to contain it....just sayin'. :victory:

. . .

The water would be contained in the little floor level thing which is sometimes all that serves as a "trap". That little bit of water can evaporate if the drain hasn't been used in a couple of days.

"Yessir, like I always say, "they just ain't nothin' like walkin' the streets in Chinertucky gazin' upon the worlds most beautiful wimmins.....as they sahsha those sumptious tiny hineys in a fog of the overpowerin' perfume of.........sewer gas. " Tsap, you (continue) to crack me up.

Kim, life is just a dadgum hoot, and Chinertucky is about as funny as funny gits, I reckon. I have had nothing but laughter every time I went to Chinertucky. Some gentleel and sensitive folk may find themselves offended by reeking sewer gas parfume as they stroll in the knofe cutting humidity and smog of a southern Chiner city, orthey may take offense at a nose blown on the sidewalk, or a lunger large enough to have a name and it's own zip code hocked up and spat upon the marble floor of a fancy restaurant.....or some may turn their heads in disgust while riding in their taxi cab and seeing some feller writi' his name in urine of the side of a building in downtown Chinertucky, or better yet seein' 3 guys shaking the dew offa their lillies right theire by their car on a main highway in clear view of God, Budda, and Joseph Smith hisowndernself.

But not me buddy.....I eat that stuff up...Sewer gas, I ain't afraid of no stinkin' sewer gas, why I walk right up to sewer gas, look him or her in the eye and spit in it's face. Come on sewer gas, is that all you've got? Sewer gas ain't shit, I always say. :rotfl:

And men and women blowin' their noses on the sidewalk in huge citys....that ain't snot, I tells ya, it is nothing but down right funny. :rotfl:

And since when did blowing hockers that can talk and wiggle go out of vogue and become offensive, so what if it is done in a restaurant full of people? It is hilarious, says I. Especially when the hocker is so strong as to tackle an unsuspecting passer-by and even pull one of his or her shoes off in the process. I crack up laughing at the humanity of it all.

Same thing with pissing in public....Lord Gawd Billy Bawb...such freedom of expression, not to mention a relief on the burden in yore bladder, to be able to write yore name on a building, new or old, right there in downtown Chinertucky whenever the urge to whip out yore ink pen and start to writin' strikes ya...

I'll admit, even though I am a dadblame America, borned and raised.....I LOVE seeing hockers, pissers, and people blowing huge strings of snot and buggers. I find nothing offensive about it at all. To me it is absolutely some of the most hilarious stuff I have ever seen. And my wife laughs right along with me. :secret: :rotfl:

Shucks, when we wuz in our personal Fushun taxi guys cab and on our way to Shenyang to git hitched in the Caca Hotel I wuz lookin' out the window at the smog and tiny hiney's and what do I spy? Three hombres pissin' beside their car right there 5 feet from the highway. "STOP THE F'ING CAR", I screamed to our gracious and trusty driver..."RIGHT HERE, PRONTO, AMIGO" AS Dizzy Dean used to say on the TV when I wuz young....We "slude" right into second base right there beside them ol' boys, and out I jumped, unfolded my Johnson, and proceeded to make me a golden arch right there along with them ol' boyz. Hell, 2 of them never missed a drop of whiz or stopped their waterin' the roses action as I joined them. Nary a word wuz spoken as we all four shaked our Johnsons 75 times each (anymore than 75 times and yore playin' with it, ya know), stowed our rose waterin' and name writin' equipment away, and pulled up our zippers with satisified sighs of relief.

As natural as if we were soldiers in somebody else's country we farted once or twiced, hitched up our pants, climbed back into our respective cars, and rolled off on our separate ways....me to jump a broom and git hitched with my pardner in laughter, in a very shitty smellin' room in a public office. Won't nuthin' but a thang, man. :victory:

I love Chinertucky....men gits to act like mens, and they ain't no stupid laws to stop them. You can play like you wuz Billy Carter drinkin' cheap beer and pissin' yore name on the side of the nearest buildin' and ain't nobody gonna say nothin', or even look at you twice.

America is so tight assed and candy dandified it is downright boring.....I scream into this manicured wilderness.

tsap seui

Shucks, when we wuz in our personal Fushun taxi guys cab and on our way to Shenyang to git hitched in the Caca Hotel I wuz lookin' out the window at the smog and tiny hiney's and what do I spy? Three hombres pissin' beside their car right there 5 feet from the highway. "STOP THE F'ING CAR", I screamed to our gracious and trusty driver..."RIGHT HERE, PRONTO, AMIGO" AS Dizzy Dean used to say on the TV when I wuz young....We "slude" right into second base right there beside them ol' boys, and out I jumped, unfolded my Johnson, and proceeded to make me a golden arch right there along with them ol' boyz. Hell, 2 of them never missed a drop of whiz or stopped their waterin' the roses action as I joined them. Nary a word wuz spoken as we all four shaked our Johnsons 75 times each (anymore than 75 times and yore playin' with it, ya know), stowed our rose waterin' and name writin' equipment away, and pulled up our zippers with satisified sighs of relief.

tsap seui

I was reading your story, and I wanted to add a similar experience that shows the true gentlemen in China.

My wife and I were on a tourism bus, loaded with people.

We stopped at a small shop for a break, and to relieve ourselves, and there just was NO WAY all us people were going to use those 2 restrooms in any reasonable amount of time.

No problem at all in China, the ladies used both restrooms, and the men walked in the back and used the wall.

You just don't see men taking care of there women like that in USA !

:)

• 1 month later...

Well now we have a solid - READY IN DECEMBER 2013 OR MAYBE BEFORE.

So as you remember we have this 150m2:

newhouse

My idea was to have a large general area and 2 bedrooms besides the main one:

idea1

Wife's idea is now having 2 bedrooms and a combined study-office/master bedroom:

idea2

Since we know who will win this we are now pouring over "fixing up" plans and furnishings. I have won the discussion to let me decorate the study-office - woo hoo!!

More to come...

We have heat under our flooring in our Fushun home...hot water pipes. While the ceiling heights in the Chinese homes I've seen, as well as our own home is around 9 feet I'd say you have ample room to run air ducts along with the bridgework it would take to raise the floors, but I've never seen that type of forced air system over there. All the A/C units I've seen are hung on a wall type. As well, I've only seen hot water systems for heat....residentially. Duct runs to single rooms are usually done with 3 1/2 X 10 inch wide ducst, but they arent run that far and they are fed off of 12 by 10 inch main trunk lines (or larger).

There are heat pumps that use electricity and pull heat btu's out of the air. You're down south so they wouldn't eat you out of house and home in the winter, and they work well as A/C units.

I'll bet the Chinese have a heat pump that uses the A/C wall units you most often see in China, and could blow warm air too. I know they have them in Australia and New Zealand

edit rjw - I hope you didn't want all those '+' signs that overran at the bottom - I deleted 'em

We have heat under our flooring in our Fushun home...hot water pipes. While the ceiling heights in the Chinese homes I've seen, as well as our own home is around 9 feet I'd say you have ample room to run air ducts along with the bridgework it would take to raise the floors, but I've never seen that type of forced air system over there. All the A/C units I've seen are hung on a wall type. As well, I've only seen hot water systems for heat....residentially. Duct runs to single rooms are usually done with 3 1/2 X 10 inch wide ducst, but they arent run that far and they are fed off of 12 by 10 inch main trunk lines (or larger).

There are heat pumps that use electricity and pull heat btu's out of the air. You're down south so they wouldn't eat you out of house and home in the winter, and they work well as A/C units.

I'll bet the Chinese have a heat pump that uses the A/C wall units you most often see in China, and could blow warm air too. I know they have them in Australia and New Zealand

edit rjw - I hope you didn't want all those '+' signs that overran at the bottom - I deleted 'em

Yes - those wall units (and also the floor standing ones) are heat pumps with several settings - including cool, heat, and dehumidify. The dehumidify is great for this time of year when it's too cold to run the A/C, and too warm to run the heater.

I hope your wife knows what she's doing with the ductwork there, Fu Lai - I don't think any of us do.

I saw a model home which had what looked like duct work - it was actually a special model regular old wall mount thing hidden inside of what was made to look like a duct enclosure.

My understanding of the floor hot water pipes is that you find those in the North, but not in the south. In my view, that's why using wood tiles (instead of ceramic) is a good idea.

I don't really understand it. In the USA I had both forced air and hot radiator heated houses, and only AC machines in the windows. Here they are offering forced heat/AC or the standalone/wall unit combos. You can see in the picture where they have the machine spots located outside (in between the bedrooms on both sides of the house). The family house I built with my dad had duct work so I kinda like that serving both heat and AC, but this place is a cement house. Being here in central China and in a "furnace" town as they call it, there's cold (snowed last night again) but extra-melting heat weather. I hope she makes the right choice and all I can do is advise. Wood floors are happening, I know that.

we have experience in Wuhan - we own one completed apartment and an unfininished townhouse. My wife's brother and my mother in law have just finished apartments too and we know of good contractors here. I think we need to talk about it. my wife is great about getting things done here - we are here for one more week so let's get together - e-mail me

Marty

• Like 1

Great, we'll meet up.

we have experience in Wuhan - we own one completed apartment and an unfininished townhouse. My wife's brother and my mother in law have just finished apartments too and we know of good contractors here. I think we need to talk about it. my wife is great about getting things done here - we are here for one more week so let's get together - e-mail me

Marty