Hangzhou & Shanghai

Randy W

the last pix is shanghai...i see the pearl tower in the background. which building are you in? the financial building or the jin mao tower? don't get my wrong...i love shanghai...really remind me of nyc. but as you can see the smog in the background, even if you go the top of the tallest building in china on a bright sunny day, you can't see really far. damn pollution. it is really a turn off.

the last pix is shanghai...i see the pearl tower in the background. which building are you in? the financial building or the jin mao tower? don't get my wrong...i love shanghai...really remind me of nyc. but as you can see the smog in the background, even if you go the top of the tallest building in china on a bright sunny day, you can't see really far. damn pollution. it is really a turn off.

Jin Mao Tower - the 88th floor has an observation platform. We could see the area around the tower, including the river. It was still worth the trip.

gallery_1846_630_214053.jpg

gallery_1846_630_56615.jpg

the interior view

gallery_1846_630_388366.jpg

This bicycle was used to climb the 88 floors to the observation deck in under 40 minutes

med_gallery_1846_630_175992.jpg

how much was the observation deck in jin mao tower?

Fairly steep - it was around ¥150, if I remember correctly. The river cruise was also pretty expensive - cost more and with no natural scenery than the Li River cruise in Guilin.

The observation deck definitely brings back memories to me. I lived there from 1998 to July 2002. If I remember right, the expensive restaurant was on the 86th floor. Around the year 2000, I was ordered by a project manager for an electronic product that we were going to produce for Hewlett Packard to take the HP QC manager to dinner there. As I remember I spent well over 1000 RMB before it was over. The project manager said to spend as much as I needed to, so that he would enjoy himself. I also took my wife along. It was one of the best meals we ever had in China while I was living there for the 5 years I working there! We went up to the observation deck to. I just put it on the company charge card and was reembursed for the cost. One day maybe we will get back to China. I just don't know when.

Gale

Fairly steep - it was around ¥150, if I remember correctly. The river cruise was also pretty expensive - cost more and with no natural scenery than the Li River cruise in Guilin.

i went to the financial building next door and it was free. just don't go to the observation deck. one level below is the hotel lounge area where they serve coffee and drinks. just buy a drinks and sit in area with the view.

i went to the financial building next door and it was free. just don't go to the observation deck. one level below is the hotel lounge area where they serve coffee and drinks. just buy a drinks and sit in area with the view.

. . . except there wasn't much of a view. But thanks for the tip.