Need info on going to Beijing to get my divorce cert from America

I've only gone to Guangzhou by plane a couple of times but there is a train station pretty close to the consulate. It shouldn't be a factor in getting to your appointment early.

Have fun with the paperwork and wedding. We had a lot of laughs with both, especially the wedding in the marriage bureau and the whole roundabout way it worked. Neither one of us knew exactly when we were married, we thought it was on the first day there in the Ca-Ca Hotel (where the marriage bureau was located), up in Shenyang, but no, it was officially dated on our marriage books as the date of our second trip to the open sewer pit smell of the Ca-Ca Hotel. We laughed ourselves silly at the whole experience. It was hilarious and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Good luck, I took all this paperwork with me to the consulate in Shenyang to get my single certificate and I swear, the America visa officer never asked me to see a dang thing, just fill out the application and hold up my right hand to swear to it's truthfullness....

Yeah, that's an affidavit all right. Raise your hand and swear to it. It isn't the notary's responsibility to prove it is true, They just sign and say you swore to it. it's up to you that it is truth or face the music later.

We are actually leaving Guangzhou the same day to get back to Wuhan. Our marriage certificate escapade in Wuhan is on 12.12.12 and we are going there the week before to make sure that date is on the books (or they will have my girl's wrath to deal with). That event will be priceless in itself if there are any issues. She may be small but she packs a wallop!

Thanks for the train station and locale info. Leaving Thursday at 8pm, arriving in GUZ at 9am, leaving GUZ at 7pm, arriving in Wuhan at 7am. Yes, we are cheapskates. She booked us a sleeper on the way there and now tells me that it will probably be too short for me to stretch out... she finds this hilarious. I had the last laugh when I booked seats for the way back! She was non-plussed and replied that I will be her sleeper (fine with me!).

If you're six feet tall or larger then you'll just need to prop your head up. I still think it's more comfortable than the seats. I was able to sleep with no problem. The fact that I could reach the foot supports without touching the bunks kinda endeared me to the folk in the lower bunks.

BTW, I was married in the marriage office in Wuhan this past August. I thought the people working there were very nice. They even offered us congratulations in English as well as Chinese when they presented us with our red book.

If you're six feet tall or larger then you'll just need to prop your head up. I still think it's more comfortable than the seats. I was able to sleep with no problem. The fact that I could reach the foot supports without touching the bunks kinda endeared me to the folk in the lower bunks.

I am 6'4" and I had no problem sleeping on Chinese trains. Though my wife always made sure to get me a bottom bunk.

Have her full chinese name and birthdate as well. Sometimes they want to note such things even though this is really only a paper for you. The time it takes them to do this is quite short; the majority of the wait is them serving all the needs that day. That being said, I would pick an appointment day as early as possible, if possible. If I remember: You'll go to the window and be asked what you want, etc... then pay... then they will prepare it (among other requests they have) and then call you to the window to get it.

Have her full chinese name and birthdate as well. Sometimes they want to note such things even though this is really only a paper for you. The time it takes them to do this is quite short; the majority of the wait is them serving all the needs that day. That being said, I would pick an appointment day as early as possible, if possible. If I remember: You'll go to the window and be asked what you want, etc... then pay... then they will prepare it (among other requests they have) and then call you to the window to get it.

All set to go to Shanghai tomorrow. She is coming with me so I can bring her ID card to the desk with me. I don't think they will let her in with me...

Leaving at 7:00, arriving at 13:00, appointment at 15:00, train back at 18:00.

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)

Everything was simple.

At the Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station we got on the #2 subway line (5RMB one way) and exited 9 stops and 15 minutes later at the West Nanjing Road stop. We walked 10 minutes to the Consulate (8th floor),

My girl and I were ushered through the detectors by Chinese-speaking USA officers (I kept saying to them I didn't speak Chinese but they kept talking it and no English) into a room with two people ahead of us.

Five minutes later they asked for my appointment letter, the ability to marry affidavit to be notarised, my passport, and the new rule Chinese ID of my future wife. I had printed the affidavit off their website but it has been revised now with the lines about the wive's name and number. So I quickly filled that out. They congratulated me on my marriage (which has not occurred yet) and told me to take a seat. Three minutes later they called me to the pay window where they congratulated me again and took the money, and told us to take a seat. Four minutes later they called me to the notary window where I raised my hand and swore it was true and that was it.

Stamp, stamp and thank you ma'am.

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)
  • Like 1