Does anyone find this a little disturbing?

We have DISH Network with the "Great Wall" package. Yesterday or the day before my wife had the TV on CCTV4. It was showing information about the Chinese military including its new aircraft carrier. Then it changed to a CGI presentation showing how China could protect itself from a nuclear attack using a missle defense system. Then it showed the launch of a counter-strike. It showed a missile that launched and its path of travel. I could not make out the land below at that time. Then the top of the missile separates and releases I guess it was about 6 to 10 warheads. The next scene clearly showed the state of Florida below with all these warheads headed directly toward it! Did anyone else see this? Does these seem a little disturbing?

We have DISH Network with the "Great Wall" package. Yesterday or the day before my wife had the TV on CCTV4. It was showing information about the Chinese military including its new aircraft carrier. Then it changed to a CGI presentation showing how China could protect itself from a nuclear attack using a missle defense system. Then it showed the launch of a counter-strike. It showed a missile that launched and its path of travel. I could not make out the land below at that time. Then the top of the missile separates and releases I guess it was about 6 to 10 warheads. The next scene clearly showed the state of Florida below with all these warheads headed directly toward it! Did anyone else see this? Does these seem a little disturbing?

Florida is OK. All the wack jobs and nut cases in that state needs to be taken out. :D Oh, and let's hope they take out Marco Rubio first. :)

Hey, just having some fun at the expense of a very serious post. Makes me wonder if our media's seen this presentation and if they comment on it. And, to answer your question... yes, that would be quite disturbing.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Hey...Florida does have its reputation...hanging chads, etc. Sorry can't help it. I was born in Miami and parents moved us up to around Daytona Beach area. I tried to escape Florida once when I was sworn into the Air Force but that's another non-success story :blahblah1: :eyebrow: . But I can say things with Ying have been incredibly successful! :cheering:

I am actually relieved. Were in Texas, with luck the radiation wont drift this way.

Can't exactly understand why your handle is "Lucky" if you believe you're at or near ground zero of a PLA nuclear missile first strike... Seems unlikely to me, that they would tinker around with Florida (at the very limits of their range) when to prove a point, they could just as easily target Hawaii. (and I'm telling you that, "Lucky" because, as the crow flies, the Pacific NW --- where I live --- is one of the closest points geographically to mainland China, and I'm hopin' theys goin' over look that fact..

China's still working on making aircraft that can land on an aircraft carrier, No doubt our good friends in Russia will sell them some if they want.

But yeah, China's a big nuke power and seem to have all the toys that go with that like MIRVs (multiple independent re-entry vehicles). They can get Texas and Florida in one shot! :victory:

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, the aircraft carrier which China just commissioned was an already built Russian hull which China bought and finished building. If I'm not mistaken, the plans for the Russian aircraft which normally fly off this type of carrier were also included in the sale. Of course, there is a big difference from having a plane which can take off and land on a carrier and being able to do it.

Well, Antyg you make a good point, but in addition, in modern times, aircraft carriers don't survive more than a few hours in a state of war without massive defensive support (carrier groups) --- which can repel all foes---- incoming missiles, subs etc.. ---- simply not going to happen for China in at least 20 years --- maybe 40.

You don't think coast guard cutters and zodiac boats would make an effective defensive screen? :rolleyes:

You're correct. The Chinese Navy has anti-submarine destroyers that are probably adequate but it will probably be in the 15-20 year range before they have enough cruisers with good anti-missile capability. For now, they can project image but projecting power is still in the future.

Well, antryg, Father (inlaw) was a naval officer in the PLA up to the early 1960's --- an interesting footnote is that he was responsible for the building of the military airport and runway on Hainan island which served as the emergency landing site of an American spy plane after it collided with a Chinese Mig (perhaps a decade ago) creating a major cold war like rift in Sino/US relationships. Father knows full well, that PRC is no where near ready to challenge the US navy any time soon..

I hadn't really considered that the Chinese Navy would be measuring itself to the US Navy. The Soviet Union was able to project naval power into a region but I don't believe that even at the height of their naval build-up that they were a serious match as a surface navy to the US. Their submarine fleet was another story.

That being said, I think the Chinese is well on the way to having a serious navy and able to project itself in the region. Considering it takes at least 5 years to build a cruiser and a carrier task force has anywhere from 5 to 20 cruisers to provide missile protection and secondary offensive power; Chinese shipyards are going to be very busy to provide the ships necessary. This doesn't even take into account all of the high-tech electronics and missiles necessary. Of course, you can't man these types of ships with high school drop outs either. There are a lot of specialized skills needed as well.

All of these things are needed even if the US Navy is taken out of consideration. Japan, Iran, India..... the list goes on, all have land and air resources which can launch ship killing missiles. Great Britain learned that lesson from Argentina during the Falkland Island war.

No other Navy in the world has more than two aircraft carriers. The United States has 11. It is one of the few navies that regularly patrols all the oceans of the world. Other navies may have more warships, but many of them are built to operate very close to home and there's little capability to venture to other regions of the world.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/29/us-navy-hollow-force-or-the-best-in-the-world/

The US Navy has patrolled the Pacific Ocean like it is our own private lake for over 50 years. Our dominance of the high seas is second to no one. We patrol with impunity when and where we want to.

It's one thing to have a ship with sailors. It's quite something else to have the know how and discipline of a fighting crew that has sharpened their skills through years of battles tested at sea and the learned lessons of seamanship.