Hi all. We have been back in the US and married for about 10 days now. As we are now looking to start working on the AOS, is there something I need to do prior to filing? One thing that comes to mind is do we need to start getting her name added to power bill accounts, phone bills, bank account...etc to show proof that she and I live together?

Appreciate the help

thanks

Don

AOS is a very basic thing, simply applying to adjust status from non-immigrant to immigrant, live together evidence is not an issue at this time, it will be needed two years after getting the conditional green-card.

Here is a guide I used when my wife adjusted status, it was approved without interview.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

A few points.

• If she wants to take your name, is best to file I-485 using married name, because changing name on green-card later can be expensive.
  • I-693 not needed if at time of visa interview when doing medical you also did vaccinations and got a DS-3025 made out a visa medical, and had is sealed in a separate envelope. Send this to USCIS with the I-485 instead of I-693.
  • You have two years to add her to lease, insurance, titles, deeds, etc, this is not part of AOS.

File the I-765 along with the I-485. Will get a doc that allows work while waiting for green card.

No additional cost.

I-765 has a code it is (c )(9 ) based on pending adjustment of status and not based on K-1

Nope, that is only needed in cases where adjusting from some other type of visa like a student on a F1 getting married to a US citizen and then adjusting status that way.

The police record they already have, it was turned in at the POE in that brown envelope.

AOS is a very basic thing, simply applying to adjust status from non-immigrant to immigrant, live together evidence is not an issue at this time, it will be needed two years after getting the conditional green-card.

Here is a guide I used when my wife adjusted status, it was approved without interview.

http://www.visajourn...content/k1k3aos

A few points.

• If she wants to take your name, is best to file I-485 using married name, because changing name on green-card later can be expensive.
  • I-693 not needed if at time of visa interview when doing medical you also did vaccinations and got a DS-3025 made out a visa medical, and had is sealed in a separate envelope. Send this to USCIS with the I-485 instead of I-693.
  • You have two years to add her to lease, insurance, titles, deeds, etc, this is not part of AOS.

Just wanted to add another "VIEW" only with respect to name. Dnoblett is perfectly correct......but our strategy on name was slightly different. We choose to change the name at USC application time and we encountered no issues from an immigration standpoint. FYI - I was able to get her a new passport in 10 days after the naturalization ceremony. All ID card changes were easy - and utilize the same documentation that one would use at the start of the process - i.e. the Certificate of Marriage. There is a small catch 22...in that if it's longer than 3 years since you were married and you go to the Social Security office to change to the married name - they will make you get "some other" type of verification. For us, it was a signed statement from one of her Dr's saying she was a patient - and of course her married name on the letter head. Nothing else with the Government much mattered whether doing it at the start or at USC application time.

Now - that wasn't the case at all financial institutions. SInce we changed her name and she became a USC at the same time - (part of our plan) then I had to update all of our Family Trusts, Living Wills, and Medical Directives. These drove some of the financial institution changes. Some of these I just created new accounts from old accounts with her new name/trust. Some places were more difficult - in that to open an account in a name you don't have to prove much - but to change a name you have to send something that shows the new name. FYI - American Express - seems to be the most stringent, requiring a new "Federal or State ID", and the list they provide of acceptable documents is quite short. Passport seems to work in every instance. As you can infer from our strategy some of plan included estate planning, medical directives ( pre-nup), and other concerns that were not even part of the immigration process but items that were/could've been impacted in the event of one of us passing. FYI.

From what I am reading, my wife does not need to get another physical done since she had one in March right before her interview. She only needs to get her vaccinations. Is this correct? Also, biometrics...that only involves photos and fingerprints. Right?

thanks again all

If did vaccinations overseas and got a DS-3025 in a separate envelope, then simply send this with the I-485, no need to visit a US Civil surgeon and fight with them to just do the vaccination record. SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41344-us-civil-surgeons-and-the-i-693/

Yes NO new medical needed, and if a US Civil Surgeon insists on a full medical find another, I would bring the instructions for the I-485 Highlight and point out where a K-1 only needs Vaccination part of the I-693 done, this is what I did and the doctor did the record for us for $30, my wife had a yellow book from China showing having vaccinations done over there.

As for Biometrics, that will be automatic, you will receive a later to visit a USCIS ASC office to do fingerprints, and photo probably for you in Reno.

She did not get the vaccinations while in GUZ at the time of the medical exam but her son did. So we need to go to a US Civil Surgeon to get the vaccinations for her and send in the DS-3025 for her son?

Correct.