Green card holders need a visa?

Hi all...my wife, a PRC citizen and a U.S. green card holder, seems to think that as of next July all GC holders will need a special visa to go back to China, even if for a short visit. Has anyone else heard of this, or perhaps it's just a rumor? Thanks in advance.

Anyone applying for a Chinese visa in the U.S. must include evidence of their legal presence in the U.S. - but this would apply only to non-Chinese passport holders.

I don't even see a rumor to that effect - but it's hard to prove a negative. Can you point us to where the rumor was seen?

I'd be VERY surprised if it were true.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Anyone applying for a Chinese visa in the U.S. must include evidence of their legal presence in the U.S. - but this would apply only to non-Chinese passport holders.

I don't even see a rumor to that effect - but it's hard to prove a negative. Can you point us to where the rumor was seen?

I'd be VERY surprised if it were true.

Correct, Chinese passport proves legal to enter China, and Green-card proves legal to leave China and return to the USA. Where would such visa be placed, makes no sense to put a China visa in a China passport.

Anytime I quote something, I tend to post a link to an official source for the information such as a government page, in this case perhaps to the Chinese Consulate page in the USA.

China Embassy USA Site:

1. Visa is required for a foreign citizen to visit China

Foreign citizens must obtain a Chinese visa before entry into China, with the exception of visa-free entry based on relevant agreements or regulations.

http://www.china-emb...eng/visas/zgqz/

A PRC Citizen holding a US Green-card is a Chinese Citizen, not a Foreign Citizen.

Also on the Chinese Embassy site recent notice.

4) Proof of U.S. Residency Status– Third country citizens need to provide the original and a photocopy of proof of U.S. residency, work or study, proof of residency in the consular district (e.g. ID, water or electricity bills or tenancy agreement, etc. ) or a valid U.S. visa.
http://www.china-emb.../eng/visas/adr/

Third Country citizen means other than PRC Citizen, or US Citizen.

My wife went to China 2 weeks ago. She did not need a visa.

The word is that it would start in July, 2013. I haven't seen the rumor anywhere else

Actually my wife told me the same thing last week. She read it in one of the Chinese news papers, I think WorldJournal.

Makes no sense to me that a PRC citizen would need a visa to go to their own country, but this is China so who knows.

I'm going to take a wild-a$$ guess here - I wonder if the rumor centers around Hong Kong celebrities? From this, it does NOT seem to be a visa issue, but rather a loyalty issue.

http://www.worldjournal.com/view/full_news/20031080/article-%E5%85%A5%E7%BE%8E%E5%9C%8B%E7%B1%8D%E6%98%AF%E7%BD%AA%E6%83%A1%E5%97%8E--?instance=hota

A partial English translation from Google

Into the U.S. citizenship is evil?

Los Angeles New Language

September 05, 2012 09:06 AM | 17456 comments | 21 21 | 13 13 Recommended | Email a friend | Print

Celebrity acquire a foreign nationality record into a sensitive topic in China, the latest example of this is the show host Yang Lan. Recently microblogging rumored Yang Lan has become an American citizen, forcing her to categorically clarify "never become an American citizen, had not won a U.S. green card. Oath of loyalty of the country, there is no disloyalty "seems to be necessary for the position of the current situation of China, and Hong Kong to promote national education encounters masses rebound back to settle in Beijing approach to be implemented in July next year, imposes strict limitations on expatriate living conditions, it is inevitable reminiscent.

Chinese people into the U.S. citizenship is a "sin"? Depends on how you want to. Some people think that since the entry of foreign nationality, is no longer one of us, the people from the the broad home country (including both sides of the Taiwan Strait) perspective. So lambasting the "false foreign devil", the number of batches forget one's ancestors, disdain by government policies do not consciously outpouring exclusion of foreign compatriots to belong to the same root.

Actually my wife told me the same thing last week. She read it in one of the Chinese news papers, I think WorldJournal.

Makes no sense to me that a PRC citizen would need a visa to go to their own country, but this is China so who knows.

I'm going to take a wild-a$$ guess here - I wonder if the rumor centers around Hong Kong celebrities? From this, it does NOT seem to be a visa issue, but rather a loyalty issue.

http://www.worldjour...-?instance=hota

A partial English translation from Google

Into the U.S. citizenship is evil?

Los Angeles New Language

September 05, 2012 09:06 AM | 17456 comments | 21 21 | 13 13 Recommended | Email a friend | Print

Celebrity acquire a foreign nationality record into a sensitive topic in China, the latest example of this is the show host Yang Lan. Recently microblogging rumored Yang Lan has become an American citizen, forcing her to categorically clarify "never become an American citizen, had not won a U.S. green card. Oath of loyalty of the country, there is no disloyalty "seems to be necessary for the position of the current situation of China, and Hong Kong to promote national education encounters masses rebound back to settle in Beijing approach to be implemented in July next year, imposes strict limitations on expatriate living conditions, it is inevitable reminiscent.

Chinese people into the U.S. citizenship is a "sin"? Depends on how you want to. Some people think that since the entry of foreign nationality, is no longer one of us, the people from the the broad home country (including both sides of the Taiwan Strait) perspective. So lambasting the "false foreign devil", the number of batches forget one's ancestors, disdain by government policies do not consciously outpouring exclusion of foreign compatriots to belong to the same root.

I didn't even notice that second highlight earlier

Makes no sense, Green Card is not citizenship it is a document that allows permanent long term residency in the US the foreign citizen never gives up their foreign citizenship.

Sounds like news article is confusing green card with naturalization.

I found this quote about the celebrity in question

Yang Lan, a well-known talk-show host and businesswoman nicknamed China’s Oprah Winfrey, was snapped carrying a Marc Jacobs handbag, which attracted criticism both for its extravagance as well as being behind the times (the bag was apparently several seasons old).

. . .

Recently, there are users on microblogs who have questioned the nationality of Yang Lan, a member of the CPPCC National Committee. One web user stated, “A number of committee members hold foreign nationalities and participate in the session on behalf of the Chinese people. This is a wonder of the world!” Yang Lan clarified to the reporter of Southern Metropolis Daily saying, “I am Chinese, I don’t have a green card!” As for why people are questioning her nationality, Yang Lan speculated that it might be because she studied in the United States at one time.

These accusations are nothing new. In 2008, movie star Gong Li gained Singaporean citizenship, which caused an online debate over her past role as a CPPCC member.

The law concerning the election of deputies to the NPC and to local people's congresses stipulates that only Chinese nationals above age 18 are eligible.

Maybe someone whose Chinese spouse reads the weibos can piece it together for us.

Please, somebody with time on their hands google this fer me.....how's that old saw go?

"Round and round we go,

up and down we go..........."

By gum, I'll betcha a person could grow anything he wanted to on the internet. Start a rumor, add a lil' speculation and conjecture, poor in a cupful of urine and two good sized dog turds, and walla....the internet "truth" blossoms into glorious black and white clarity. Why shucks, a feller could blog it, flog it, google it, macro blog it, micro blog it, take it downtown, sell it all around.

tsap seui :rotfl:

I did find this., dated Aug. 31, for those who have naturalized ,as well as the Chinese citizen's foreign spouse (this means us) and children

Chinese-Americans get easier visa path back home

Global Times | 2012-8-31 1:05:03

A consul at the Chinese embassy in Washington said on Wednesday that Chinese-Americans who were born on the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan are now able to extend their visa to China to more than two years, according to the Hong Kong-based China Review News.

The new regulation, initiated in August, also applies to the applicant's spouse and children, as well as the Chinese citizen's foreign spouse and children.

"To obtain an extended visa, family members need to provide an invitation letter, a copy of the ID card of their invitees on the mainland, and documents to prove their relationship to the invitees such as marriage or birth certificates," said Chen Xiongfeng, Consul General of the Chinese embassy in US.

The invitation letter can be handwritten, printed, facsimiled or scanned, and must contain the signature of the invitee, according to the website of the embassy's visa section.

This seems to say that we can now apply for visas for longer than two years, and, to answer 2Mike's question - family members need to provide an invitation letter (at least for the longer visa lengths)

although it's still unclear what an American citizen property holder would apply for. They do mention "such documents as certificate of investment or business licence“

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies everyone...my wife is in China now and returns this weekend. I'll try to get more details from her then, but if anyone finds out anything more specific it would be great to know. I simply can't imagine how this policy would make any sense, but it IS the PRC we're talking about here...