So my fiance and I have been working on getting our initial K-1 Visa package ready. My fiance who is in China told me that we need to get letters from our family and friends showing that our relationship is legitimate. Should I get letters from family and friends and should I write the letters and have them sign it, or do they have to write the letters?

Thanks

I see, however I heard it was recommended. I am currently a full-time university student with a part-time job so I wouldn't be able to support her alone. Would it hurt the chances of my fiance and I getting a k-1 visa?

Evidence is evidence. If you can reasonably get the letters together, there is no reason why you shouldn't submit them. You will need to submit an affidavit of support, however, so lining up a joint sponsor would be most important.

I believe that you can never have too much relationship evidentiary support. Include evidence of an ongoing relationship, such as letters between the two of you, phone records, chat records, a few emails, and so forth. Show a progression of various dates to show that there is an established relationship. Include the letters from family and friends if getting them does not cause delay in your filing, but I would consider spending your time and resource first on getting the co-sponsorship paperwork together. You don't need it now, but you will definitely need it at the interview. It is better to do it now than have to deal with it last minute.