Going to China tomorrow

Ting and I are off to China tomorrow. Were driving from Pensacola tonight all the way to Dallas and catching a flight from there to LA then to Korea and then Beijing.

Were a bit nervous because Tin is still waiting for her 10 year card and her 2 year is expired and were traveling on an extension letter.

We have heard horror stories about the exit authority thinking the extension letter is just a receipt or other such nonsense. We could not get immigration to give her a stamp in her passport so keep your fingers crossed. The only other issue right now is trying to get a flight from Beijing to Baotou, apparently because I am a foreigner I must pay full price, no discount... We cant figure out how to buy a ticket on line either.

Will just buy it when we set foot in Beijing. This trip is for our Chinese wedding. We have been married already but here in the USA in the court house...

Wish us luck! Everyone take care!

Hey Bambi....I mean...buddy, have a great time over yonder. Hope you get many red envelopes at the wedding. I'll bet they let your wife go through easily but they may keep you to try and squeeze all them Navy secrets out of you.

Going ot Chinertucky.....boy, what I wouldn't give to have a large bowl of fish eyeball soup and a few cat heads on the side. We've done harvested all the local neighborhood cats around here and fished all the fish out of the mountain streams. Mebbe it's time to head back for us, too.

tsap seui

Hello, Earlier this year I was able to buy a round ticket ticket from NYC to Beijing on line. I used Flychina.com. It was an e-ticket. I thought it was somewhat straight forward. But I don't remember how long it took to have the ticket processed. I checked the site and they had flights leaving to Beijing on the 8th and returning the 24th of March on Air China for $227. Don't know how that price sound to you. For domestic flight I had my Lao Po buy my tickets. I looked on the net to see where Baotou is in China. It looks like it is in Inner Mongolia. Is that near the city of Ordos? Have a great trip. Danb

PS I went back to some of my old email. It was suggested that Ctrip or Qunar be used to for domestic flight. At the time I did not. I just tried Ctrip. They had flights for 1170 RMB. That price is a little lower. But they were using different airports and different airlines on the return flight. I am trying to learn how to cheaper buy Chinese domestic tickets safely. I will have to check Ctrip for trips to Nanning. Hope some of this info helps.

Have fun and congrats on the China wedding...it will be a great time...the Chinese families are always awesome at these weddings, always so accepting, generous and gracious, You'll have a great time. Hopefully she will be fine on the extension letter and maybe it won't even be an issue, worst case senario, submit a change of address to the post office and start palying house in China... jk, you'll be fine. Post pics for us if you have a chance, congrats once more and have the greatest time of you life so far.

Ting and I are off to China tomorrow. Were driving from Pensacola tonight all the way to Dallas and catching a flight from there to LA then to Korea and then Beijing.

Were a bit nervous because Tin is still waiting for her 10 year card and her 2 year is expired and were traveling on an extension letter.

We have heard horror stories about the exit authority thinking the extension letter is just a receipt or other such nonsense. We could not get immigration to give her a stamp in her passport so keep your fingers crossed. The only other issue right now is trying to get a flight from Beijing to Baotou, apparently because I am a foreigner I must pay full price, no discount... We cant figure out how to buy a ticket on line either.

Will just buy it when we set foot in Beijing. This trip is for our Chinese wedding. We have been married already but here in the USA in the court house...

Wish us luck! Everyone take care!

Just remember that you CAN travel on the extension letter. It's unlikely that you will, but IF you run into problems, do whatever you can to talk to someone who understands what it is - ask to talk to a supervisor, THEIR supervisor, whoever can okay your passage. Someone from another airline may be able to explain to them what it is. Your PSB MIGHT help with an exit visa, although this doesn't guarantee entry to the U.S.

If ALL else fails, you would have to go to your consulate.

We have heard horror stories about the exit authority thinking the extension letter is just a receipt or other such nonsense. We could not get immigration to give her a stamp in her passport so keep your fingers crossed.

My wife and I traveled back to China this past February when my wife had an expired 2 year green card and she didn't experience any problems at all. We exited China via Xiamen and both the Korean Airlines ticket agent and the Chinese immigration official who we encountered knew exactly what the extension letter was and did not give it a second thought. Good luck and have a great trip!

• 3 months later...

Side note, even with the letter of extension on an expired green card, the airlines are morons. They are adamant you must have a letter from the embassy to board. I was about to throttle her neck, they called the embassy for approval, almost missed our flight. Common sense does NOT apply there. I'll post some wedding pics soon. Sorry it took so long.

Side note, even with the letter of extension on an expired green card, the airlines are morons. They are adamant you must have a letter from the embassy to board. I was about to throttle her neck, they called the embassy for approval, almost missed our flight. Common sense does NOT apply there. I'll post some wedding pics soon. Sorry it took so long.

The "common sense" behind that is that the airline is responsible for anyone who is denied admission. They would have to fly her back to China, were that to occur.

So insisting on unambiguous (to them) documentation makes sense. But, yes, I agree that they SHOULD be familiar with the extension letter - some are, but some will give you flack about it.

Others HAVE been denied boarding because of the expired card, even with an extension letter.

Yep we were denied boarding even with the extension letter. They wouldnt work with us at all. No valid green card - no boarding. You are lucky they worked with you. We had to wait til her 10 year was available and get it sent to china and had to rebook at that time. This was a couple years ago. Sounds like things are finally changing for the better.

Randy is %100 right on this, as is b.c --- Don't expect to enter the US --- or any other country on an expired Green card --- Regardless of letters of extension. In our case, it was US > Mexico, (wife had the wrong document -- her two year green card, not her current 10 year--) Didn't matter --- We were sent back to the US on the next flight. Airlines are on the hook for the trip back, so they are less than tolerant at the POE --- they obviously, are not in our corner.

My wife is traveling to China next month. Her 2 year card expired a while back and we will be waiting for another 6 months at least for her 10 year.

I made an InfoPass appointment and had the I551 stamp put in her passport so she will not have any issues traveling with an expired GC (which they took away at InfoPass) and Extension letter.