Document Translation and Filing in the US

Hi, I noticed that the translation of fiancee's birth certificate is no longer needed for DCF (http://www.visajourn...tent/i130guide1). Just wondering if this is true? Thanks ...

This is a consulate by consulate, VJ covers general requirements in most countries, however in China the DHS field office located in Beijing and Guangzhou still require English translations attached, they are easily obtained at the Notary office when getting a birth cert.

Also you are first dealing with USCIS (DHS) office which still has an English translation requirement for all documents, and later will be dealing with the consulate in Guangzhou which also has an English translation requirement.

Hi, I noticed that the translation of fiancee's birth certificate is no longer needed for DCF (http://www.visajourn...tent/i130guide1). Just wondering if this is true? Thanks ...

This is a consulate by consulate, VJ covers general requirements in most countries, however in China the DHS field office located in Beijing and Guangzhou still require English translations attached, they are easily obtained at the Notary office when getting a birth cert.

Also you are first dealing with USCIS (DHS) office which still has an English translation requirement for all documents, and later will be dealing with the consulate in Guangzhou which also has an English translation requirement.

Thanks! Fumbled with the time, now will have to file from back in the US (fiancee is not happy). Wondering if you might know the average time to interview for filing from the US?

Edited by jae123 (see edit history)

Thanks! Fumbled with the time, now will have to file from back in the US (fiancee is not happy). Wondering if you might know the average time to interview for filing from the US?

Yep, should have gotten hitched before leaving China and either filed there or in the states for a spouse visa, would have saved you about $1000 in fees, and gotten your spouse and instant green-card upon arrival in the states.

Time from filing I-129F for a fiancee to K-1 interview in the consulate tends to be in the 8-9 months, same would be for a spouse visa if filed in the states, if filed in China a spouse visa tends to be 4-5 months.

Good news is, we at least got hitched in China (have the little red book - should have said fiancee in the US, wife in China!). :) So, Im gonna file for the spouse visa from the US, just not sure how long it would take to get the spouse visa when filing from the US ...

If you're married, you're married - SHE'S YOUR WIFE! Hopefully, you're not talking about 2 different people here.

Good news is, we at least got hitched in China (have the little red book - should have said fiancee in the US, wife in CHina!). :) So, Im gonna file for the spouse visa from the US, just not sure how long it would take to get the spouse visa when filing from the US ...

Should have said Husband in US, Wife in China. Fiancee means not married and a different petition and visa (I-129F and K-1), you will be filing an I-130 for a CR-1 spouse visa, takes similar time to process through USCIS, NVC, and Consulate.

Study: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=i130guide1

And later when USCIS approves the petition and sends to NVC, to save time you should opt into the electronic process which involves emails to NVC rather that sending papers to them. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37703-i29fk3-changes-and-nvc-electronic-processing-for-i-130cr1/

Split this off of the DCF topic, since you are no longer in China, and will be filing the petition in the USA.

Did you get a copy of the marriage cert along with a translation of the certificate? If not then perhaps have spouse get a copy in China at the notary office along with a translation, this will be needed for filing the petition.

Also when filing a petition to USCIS, make photo copies of all original documents and send the copies to USCIS, not the originals. Bring originals into interview just in case interviewing officer requests to see them.

Split this off of the DCF topic, since you are no longer in China, and will be filing the petition in the USA. Did you get a copy of the marriage cert along with a translation of the certificate? If not then perhaps have spouse get a copy in China at the notary office along with a translation, this will be needed for filing the petition. Also when filing a petition to USCIS, make photo copies of all original documents and send the copies to USCIS, not the originals. Bring originals into interview just in case interviewing officer requests to see them.

Thanks again guys for the clarification! Spouse will soon have her birth certificate, marriage certificate, and police report translated and notarized. I take it that she should keep the originals, and email me scanned copies of those documents ...

Forget the police cert, it is not needed when filing the petition, it will be requested by NVC erhaps 6 months from now.

Docs are not "notarized" they come from a records office in China called a Notary office, typically they have a certification andstamp on them, with a certified translation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, have yet another question, appreciate any assistance (as always). When getting documents translated, must both Chinese marriage cert's (husband and wife each) be translated, or, just the wife's?

The notary office will take your wife's marriage certificate and use it to create the appropriate document. They only need hers.