Pay someone to teach your wife/husband to drive

ama537621

In my case I was the teacher for my younger siblings, I even tought a guy to drive tractor trailer. My wife was the greatest challenge, she was fairly easy to coach to the point of getting permit, but teaching her to the point of passing a road test was a nightmare, she failed two road tests, at which time she was convinced I was teaching wrong, so we paid for driving classes, after which she failed a third time.

I then continued teaching her to drive and she eventually passed on her sixth attempt. The weeks leading up to test number six she started to demonstrate that she was driving better.

The frustrating thing is they learn how they drive in China, pretty much like people riding bikes, assuming the other guy is watching out for them. My wife also wanted to memorize the areas where the road test was to be taken.

So in our case the driving class was a waste of $$ other that to show her that I was NOT teaching wrong.

I'd happily give $100 an hour to someone to teach my wife to drive. $200 if that person could speak Chinese too and help her with the test....LOL

Pluck pluck pluck cocka doodle do, I am one big chicken to get into the car with her lil' butt behind the wheel. I'd rather chase bears and wrassle alligators than do this.

tsap seui

I tried to teach my ex who is from Japan to drive. After her almost running off a cliff and killing us I sent her to driver's ed. I am a firm believer that spouses shouldn't teach spouses to drive. It causes too many arguments.

Pay someone to teach your wife to drive? Absolutely!

I've tried teaching ChunMei, and have had no success whatsoever. I think a big part of it is because she still isn't confident of language skills. We have been pracricing in a local high school parking lot on Sundays, and after four hours in the car she still has to "process" turn left, turn right, stop instructions before she executes them, and the time lag makes her very nervous.

She's talked to her brother about teaching her when she goes back to Nanning in September. Her brother's driving makes me want to leap out of the moving car when I ride with him, so I have some serious doubts about that.

Fortunately there's pretty good Chinese-language driving school here in Denver, and she's agreed to take the class from them when she gets back.

In Arizona, they MVD states a new driver should have a 20-30 hours of driving before they take their road test. I originally thought that was a lot but I started to track my wife's hours. Right around 30 hours is when my wife stopped scaring the bejeezus out of me. Up to that 30 hours, I intentionally tried to keep her on roads with little traffic and just let her get the hours. Once I felt like she had good car control and built up confidence, everywhere we went she drove. It took about 4 months and she had about 70 hours of driving before she took the test. She is actually a pretty decent driver given her experience level. The funniest part is she repeats back to me all my criticisms of her driving, it has broken a few of my bad habits.

I will play Devil's advocate on this one. I taught both my wife and her son how to drive. He was a little easier than she was. I wanted to do it because. 1. I feel they needed to be taught in English so they would think more in English and could read signs in English better when they were driving. 2. I taught them a lot of their English so I knew their vocabulary limitations and could tailor my lessons to them. 3. They need to be able to communicate effectively in English for virtually everything in America so why not re-enforce their English while they were learning to drive. Did we argue? Oh yeah, but in the end, both of them admitted I was right and both got their licenses and have become pretty good drivers.

• Like 1

I will play Devil's advocate on this one. I taught both my wife and her son how to drive. He was a little easier than she was. I wanted to do it because. 1. I feel they needed to be taught in English so they would think more in English and could read signs in English better when they were driving. 2. I taught them a lot of their English so I knew their vocabulary limitations and could tailor my lessons to them. 3. They need to be able to communicate effectively in English for virtually everything in America so why not re-enforce their English while they were learning to drive. Did we argue? Oh yeah, but in the end, both of them admitted I was right and both got their licenses and have become pretty good drivers.

That's good for you. You're an exception. And a brave one at that.

• Like 1

Same here, it was a monster Challenge to teach my wife, but in the end I feel she is a good driver, she can and has driven long distances in her nice Impala.

My Wife also wants to drive all over the testing area in town. She insists that she is ready for the test next month. Yesterday when she did things wrong I would say fail. That was not the smartest thing I could of done. LOL.

All I can say it took my wife 5 tries at the road test to learn it is not about memorization, it is about demonstrating the ability to adapt and correctly react to an ever changing driving environment.

My Wife also wants to drive all over the testing area in town. She insists that she is ready for the test next month. Yesterday when she did things wrong I would say fail. That was not the smartest thing I could of done. LOL.

Now THAT is funny!!! I'd like to see the ,look on your face when you picked yourself up off the ground...LOL

tsap seui

In my experience, you also can not fight the Chinese learner in them. Before we would go somewhere, I would verbally inform her exactly how we were going to go. We also used the GPS when she was learning because it gives about a 0.5 to 1.0 mile warning of when you need to turn. My wife will still get in the left or right lane (in a three lane road) miles ahead of when she needs to make a turn.

Also all the new roads in Arizona make it easier, it is a rare major intersection without a left turning lane(and sometimes right). I learned to drive on the roads Dan taught his wife and most of those roads were built way before the modern safety improvements.

The other thing is I bought an old used Toyota Camry for her to learn in that already had a bunch of dings, while I don't know if she has put any dings in it, I have told her I really don't care. she has driven my SUV but she really isn't comfortable driving a car that big.

In the book Outliers the author states that you need to have 10,000 hours to be an expert at something (i.e. professional musician) and you don't need 10,000 hours to drive but I would emphasize again the need for them to spend time behind the wheel and get close to 100 hours of drive time before they get their license.

@ Beachy, exactly! I bought a beat up Chevy Cavalier for my wife to learn to drive in and she had the pleasure to drive that care for at least a year and a half after getting her license. Last fall we ditched it and replaced it with a 2010 Chevy Impala, I have no fear that she will take good care of the new car.

Also the roads this way are what you say quite old, but way better than down-state, Rochester is also in the process of installing the first DDI interchange in NY State @ I-590 and Winton Rd very inovative traffic pattern, should make the pattern change sometime next month.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vxMK-YtwnwE/TE1quHSpFSI/AAAAAAAABwY/8IfpXj6kMcc/s640/divergingdiamondinterchange.jpg

Rochester is also in the process of installing the first DDI interchange in NY State @ I-590 and Winton Rd very inovative traffic pattern, should make the pattern change sometime next month. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vxMK-YtwnwE/TE1quHSpFSI/AAAAAAAABwY/8IfpXj6kMcc/s640/divergingdiamondinterchange.jpg

That is bizarre, I assume the lights basically allow traffic to flow North and then South independently like though a construction zone down to one lane. Though I am a big fan of traffic circles you see in Europe which accomplish much the same thing.