A life in the day of a Foxconn employee

A day in the life of a worker bee in China. Kind of boring, sounds kind of like life in the big cities if the USA during the industrial revolution.

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/weekly/img/attachement/jpg/site181/20120525/00221917e13e112918ed2b.jpg

Li Liyan works at Apple contract manufacturer Foxconn's assembly line in Dongguan, Guangdong province. Provided to China Daily

Young factory worker makes the best out of her experience

On any given day, it is not the alarm clock that wakes Li Liyan from her sleep at 7 am. Rather it is the constant and hasty footfalls that reverberate around the corridors which function as the clock for the 21-year-old assembly line employee.

Li works at the Longhua plant of Foxconn Technology Group in Dongguan, Guangdong province, as part of the team used by the contract manufacturer to assemble Apple's iPhones and iPads, HP computers and products for several other global companies.

Though life is often tough, many like Li have learned to make the best out of the existing circumstances to fulfill their needs.

Read the rest here: http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/weekly/2012-05/25/content_15383680.htm

I have been to the Foxconn factory at Longhua subdistrict of Shenzhen (not Dongguan), Guangdong Province.

The report is pretty accurate in highlighting the bleakness of existness there. There is a palpable sense of despair in the air simply walking into the place, although the stories of the "suicide nets" the western media tries to portray is highly biased.

Reminds me too, of old black and white news reels from 1920s New York city. Massive seemingly uncoordinated activity. Could also be said of the too few places I have seen in China. Busy, busy, busy everywhere......

On my business travels I usually work at the Flextronics factory in Doumen near Zhuhai. That factory is much more civilized than Foxconn, but still quite unbearable by western standards. I chat regularily on QQ with friends who still work there and others who have since left and moved on. They are some of the nicest, most gracious people I have ever met.

The factories in China are a nice place to visit, but I sure wouldn't want to live there.

When they came in to announce reforms with working conditions by reducing over-time many workers were upset. They are here for the money and the more work the more money. Assembly line work is bleak and until the labor cost goes up enough to justify a robot it will continue to exist.