United Raises Baggage Fees

UAL is increasing International baggge fees from $70 to $100. They have now double the price in just 2 years. So this will mean $100 x 2 for round trip. Service of course will not improve nor reduce the number of lost bags. This is pure greed by the airlines.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/06/12/united-airlines-raises-bag-fees-to-100/

United has been disappointing overall since their merger... Anyone notice in all the talk-up, the CEO NEVER once mentioned lower or more affordable prices... guess why?

And they made their award program more difficult to acheive... they claimed "because we want members to know they 'earned' it"... BS.

They offered a credit card to get free baggage and early boarding... since when is buying your way into such perks 'earning' it ???

I guess Wall Street likes such BS while consumers get socked in the wallet... Welcome to airline Shenanigans...

I would not go so far as say greed, it is a way to keep ticket price down, and offset this to those needing excessive baggage.

Other option is to raise ticket prices across the board, first checked bag is part of ticket price, with charge for additional bag, and simply offer those not checking bags a discount.

Other option is to raise ticket prices across the board

I know the airlines have talked about ideas like making people pay who use something; or pay by your weight (to offset the gas usage)...

The simply fact to me is: It is much simpler to spread out the price in some silly 'tax' and accept that on average some are using more than others but it tends to keep the silly factor down.

Thomas, then it makes perfect sense to get the Mileage Plus Visa card, with a $95 annual fee, which (according to the membership guide----I haven't used it yet---gives you a $50.00 checked bag discount (roundtrip) ... with language thats a little vague, however, this is more specific: 'Your first checked-bag fee is waived for you and one other person on your itinerary.'' So there is $200.00 saved...

Priority boarding is also probably worth something, except of course, you aint going anywhere until the last person of 'non-priority' is seated and buckled... Yeah, if the other airlines weren't pulling the same kind of crap --- United wouldn't be either...

Of all the airlines at Logan (I work there), UA's baggage usually come out the quickest (within 5 to 7 minutes). Also, the Priority bags always come out first (domestic). Priority bags do not come out first for other airlines on domestic flights. US Air baggage is the worst at Logan.