Advise on packing.

Ok so as I mentioned before Hui and I are brining back about 75ish USB speaker of various size and value. All total we spent about 3700RMB so Im under the $800.00 duty/tax free limit a US citizen can bring back on a single trip.

My question is how should I pack these things.Hui can fit most of them in to a mid size suitcase they should allow as a carryon bag. Would Security let this back threw screening? Or would they not like so many electronic devices in 1 carry on, when she has them all in there it's packed to the bustin point. Or should we just put them in the normal suitcases and check them? Hui wants to do carry on becasue sheis sure the Chinese bag handlers jump up and down on each bag before they load it.

Also on the custons form I just put value of item purchased at say 675.00 or do I need to list each item?

Thanks for the feedback.

Robert

Cool daddy, things often change with airport procedures but on my 7 flights home from the motherland they always had searches of our carry-ons at the United waiting area.

If it was me I'd pack lots of clothes around the goodies and pack them in a suitcase. Not that you'd get any grief from a inspection of your carry-on, but who needs the hassle, if there was one.

Gonna miss you interesting tales of travelin' in Tiny Hiney Land. Can you stay a couple of more months and file reports to us?

tsap seui

• 3 weeks later...

My bag is ALWAYS searched when I return from China. USA Customs leaves the note in my bag telling me so. My wife's bags have either never been searched by USA customs or they were searched and no note was left. Go figure.

Maybe I just have that look of trouble or aura of danger. Or maybe word has gotten around about how good my socks smell and the customs agents want to experience the euphoria for themselves. ;)

Just a note....doesn't it say something about "do you have any commercial goods" or "for resale". How can you carry them back and be honest on the customs declaration? I might have this wrong....I don't have a form in front of me.....just thinking out loud...based on my last hassle at customs when the DOG found an orange in my 2 year olds "drag on".

(Edit: Item 14 on the customs declaration form-FYI)

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)