Two Fly Rule

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

Anyone who has traveled to China, knows that the restrooms can be a very uncomfortable experience. I got a good laugh from the new two-fly rule just initiated in Beijing:

Beijing sets 'two-fly' rule for public restrooms

Published May 23, 2012

NewsCore

BEIJING – Public restrooms in Beijing must contain no more than two flies per stall, according to a bizarre new directive issued to washroom attendants.

The Beijing Municipal Commission of City Administration and Environment issued the rule Monday as a "new standard for public toilet management," the Beijing News reported.

Xie Guomin, the official in charge of the initiative, told the newspaper that the two-fly rule was not compulsory, but was a new benchmark to improve the Chinese capital's notoriously unpleasant public restrooms.

Online critics pounced on the new initiative, questioning how officials planned to enforce it and whether inspectors would actually visit the restrooms to count the number of insects per stall.

Xie said, "We will not actually count fly numbers. The regulation is specific and quantified, but the inspection methodology will be flexible."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/23/beijing-sets-two-fly-rule-for-public-restrooms/?test=latestnews

I agree

It may depend on who is using a particular stall . . .

Right you are Randy. :rotfl:

As an example, when I was in the military in Nam I noticed that the higher rankin' the officer the more flies he had followin' him. We had these 3 and 5 hole out houses in Phu Loi and good gawd man, if anyone over the rank of a left handed salutin' warrant officer walked in the trail of flies in his wake was jes downright awful. Enlisted men, no problem but you git some higher rankin' desk jockey and WOOO...you'd have to go outside to finish yore business...they wuz "fly hives" I tells ya.

tsap seui

I agree

It may depend on who is using a particular stall . . .

Right you are Randy. :rotfl:

As an example, when I was in the military in Nam I noticed that the higher rankin' the officer the more flies he had followin' him. We had these 3 and 5 hole out houses in Phu Loi and good gawd man, if anyone over the rank of a left handed salutin' warrant officer walked in the trail of flies in his wake was jes downright awful. Enlisted men, no problem but you git some higher rankin' desk jockey and WOOO...you'd have to go outside to finish yore business...they wuz "fly hives" I tells ya.

tsap seui

LOL

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/beijing-s-two-fly-limit-toilet-rule/16itfgdy7?from

Does this mean more paper will be available? I mean with paper toiletting would be more efficient. Productibity would go up and thus save the econmy and curb inflation.

Fly cleaning takes awhile. what a wait.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)
Guest ExChinaExpat

On the one hand, it's pretty comical, but one can often find unclear standards of law and measure everywhere.

Xie said, "We will not actually count fly numbers. The regulation is specific and quantified, but the inspection methodology will be flexible."

In the same breath, Xie disregards the only stated method to quantify cleaning up. That is, count the flies in the stalls. As far as being specific, well, you be the judge. To retrofit the countless homes, bathrooms, showers, toilets and sinks in China with the a water trap in the pipe will be astronomical. That's right, most of the pipes are a straight shot right into the sewer line, which means the lighter than air, sweet smelling and explosive sewer gas contributes to a pungent fly perfume. Also, I don't think there yet exists a way to accommodate small stature pee pees, that can't quite reach what they are shooting at.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...