Not connected in Nanning

Hello. We are now in Nanning. We flew on Hainan Airlines. It was a nice flight.

I could use some help. I can't get my laptop or my smartphone(wifi mode) to connect to the internet at Lao po's home. She has a d link wireless router and also has a TP-Link hooked into the d link for her I PIE. (which seems redundant). Her ipad works but my gear does not. Any ideas of what i can try or get some info? It is a little difficult talking technical stuff to my Lao Po so that avenue is not working so well. I kinda think that the d link hard connection may not be working but the wireless connection is sort but there maybe some type of conflict/setup because the smart phone says that we are connected but when i go run a application ( google translate) I get a connection problem message. My gear worked in Beijing. But not here. Any help would be appreciated. Danb

Any information you could provide might be helpful. Does her existing hardware work? How do you know? Does the router show an IP address?

Are you getting an IP address from the router? Does it require a password?

Hi Randy. Her ipad thru the tp wireless link which hooks into the the dlink can access the internet. This tellls me that there is internet in the house. There are two password . Her desktop doesnot seem to access the internet thru a cable. That same cable will not let my laptop get on the net neither. I did try moving that cable to another port but did not help. I am running Window XP. If i go to start....connect to....show all connection.... I get a picture of msn, bluetooth, and local area connextion with an red X. It does show that my wireless network connection is working.... I think. It shows a green dot transmitting signals. It states connected, firewalled dell wireless 1397 wlan minicard. If i click on that icon i get info that says i have a strong signal,54.0 Mbps,strong signal, an adress assigned by DHCP, an Ip adress. 192.1xx.xxx. It also shows packet sent 1,398 and packet received 268. That all being said i go to the internet explored page and it just sits there saying connecting and showing an hourglass. Switch over to my hotmail acon and getting the same thing. I did notice that the packet sent and received updated to 1969 and 370 respectively.

But still not getting thru. The main router coming into the house is thd dlink. It does not have a password. I have said in the past that did not seem like a good idea. But on the other hand i don t know how important it is. Packet info updated to 2388 and 440 in last six or so minutes. I wonder if a new dlink router would help. Danb.

Ps . I did try to access the wireless network thru wifi with my smart phone. It is showing two networks....i think. One from the tp link and one thru the dlink....again i think.

. . .

says i have a strong signal,54.0 Mbps,strong signal, an adress assigned by DHCP, an Ip adress. 192.1xx.xxx. It also shows packet sent 1,398 and packet received 268.

. . .

This says you ARE connected and communicating with the router. Make SURE you don't have both a wireless AND a cable connection at the same time - this won't work

The 192.1xx.xxx is your LOCAL IP address that no one outside of your LAN can reference

Go to a command prompt - click on Start, Run, and enter CMD. Then in the DOS window type ipconfig /all, it should show ONLY ONE connection - it should have an IP address, subnet mask, , default gateway (the router's IP address), and one or more DNS servers with outside (NOT 192.1xx.xxx) IP addresses

Yes, you may need to change the router configuration - if so, it might be easier to make sure you only have one.

Edited by dnoblett
Changed a/ll to /all to avoid any non net savy confusion (see edit history)

you are senting 1398 and receiving 268 packets show you are on the network but did not get an ip address or wrong vlan. i see this issue very common at work and to fix it, i changed the switchport vlan to its repective subnet.

in your case, i would load the software that came with your china dsl/router/switch device. i had the same issue when i was in china last year at my wife's home. her pc works but my pc did not work, just like your issue, senting more packets then receiving. i installed the software and click on the installed application icon, click on explorer and happy surfing. i hope it will work for you and good luck.

Thank you for the replies. The computer was not hooked up in the scenario that I desribed aboved. I am reluctant to reload the software because , for one who knows where the software is. And second the computer adminstration stuff is usually handled by the lao po s daughter who is away at the moment. I don t want to be blamed for messing up the computer set up. Plus I pretty much can t read Chinese except for the numbers one thru three and the word BU. If i was going to be here much longer I would probably consider buying a new router if they don t cost that much and have the store come out and set the thing up. i would have the store make sure that the main router is password protected. I did finally figure out that on the lao po s desk top that there is a dlink icon that she goes thru when normally logging on to the computer but once again everthing is in chinese and i don t really understand exactly what they are asking. Thank you again for your help. I will probably just use her ipad for now. Danb