I had no idea things like this happen in China.....

Not since the invention of guns (or weapons for that matter) have laws ever prevented criminals from acquiring them. It does nothing but raise the bar, and often not even that, while making it impossible for the law abiding to have them.

Of course, this is generally true of anything which many people want and some law or other forbids. Moral of the story, prohibition doesn't work.

Here is a link to a Chinese article about guns in China and comparing gun crimes in China to the US. I have not verified any of the accuracy myself. Just thought that I would post it here.

http://www.china.org...nt_25065310.htm

Larry

The primary difficulty with relying on government statisics, from there or here, on such things is they have a powerful motivation to cook the books. For instance, Chicago was caught cooking their books for years. Reporting things in one way so it wouldn't show up in crime stats, or in some cases just not bothering to report crimes for the FBI's stats. Of course, none of that helps the person who was stabbed vice shot. Somehow I doubt they feel any better that they were merely stabbed. :D

Edited by foobaz123 (see edit history)

Not since the invention of guns (or weapons for that matter) have laws ever prevented criminals from acquiring them. It does nothing but raise the bar, and often not even that, while making it impossible for the law abiding to have them.

Of course, this is generally true of anything which many people want and some law or other forbids. Moral of the story, prohibition doesn't work.

Here is a link to a Chinese article about guns in China and comparing gun crimes in China to the US. I have not verified any of the accuracy myself. Just thought that I would post it here.

Larry

The primary difficulty with relying on government statisics, from there or here, on such things is they have a powerful motivation to cook the books. For instance, Chicago was caught cooking their books for years. Reporting things in one way so it wouldn't show up in crime stats, or in some cases just not bothering to report crimes for the FBI's stats. Of course, none of that helps the person who was stabbed vice shot. Somehow I doubt they feel any better that they were merely stabbed. :D

I agree with that. The wife was telling me just last night that there are many many more crimes and murders commited with guns than the Chinese media are telling about. She says that they will not report about them.

Larry

Contrary to popular belief, there are some firearms in private possession in PRC.

Father In Law was issued a semi automatic by the Party, and held it for may years. The problem here, obviously, is that China has nothing like the the Second Amendment. Can you imagine a stunt like this playing out on a rural road, in say, Georgia? ---you force the mark off the road---your backup behind you--- and the mark casually steps out of his car and blows you away with his Glock 9 mm. ---So, you're the back up---then what do you do?

Larry

I agree with that. The wife was telling me just last night that there are many many more crimes and murders commited with guns than the Chinese media are telling about. She says that they will not report about them.

Larry

Wouldn't be surprised in the least. If it happens in Chicago I can only imagine the coverups that go on over in China when "Don't publish that or else" carries serious weight with it.

Contrary to popular belief, there are some firearms in private possession in PRC.

Father In Law was issued a semi automatic by the Party, and held it for may years. The problem here, obviously, is that China has nothing like the the Second Amendment. Can you imagine a stunt like this playing out on a rural road, in say, Georgia? ---you force the mark off the road---your backup behind you--- and the mark casually steps out of his car and blows you away with his Glock 9 mm. ---So, you're the back up---then what do you do?

No doubt. Though, from the rest of your post you're speaking of legally owned ones. :D

As to the second, you haul ass obviously.

Now, pull the same trick in urban areas of some states here and it is a totally different scenario. Not too different to the result in China.