Many apply for EAD just to have a handy ID card for the AOS waiting period, also can use the EAD to apply for a learner's permit in most states, also to apply for SSN if you did not apply for one within the 80 days after arrival in the USA on a K-1 visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Question regarding the AP. We are still waiting for Green Card :(

We want to go to China in November for Lili's mom 60th birthday.

1) All I need to fill out is the I-131 and send copy of our I-485 action letter?

2) I do not need to send in money for the AP? AP is free?

3) What is the turn around time to receive the AP? Is this AP a letter? We just show this to immigration at airport?

4) How long is the AP valid for?

5) How long can she stay in China with this AP?

Thanks in advance,

Matt and Lili

1) Yes

2) No fee, The $1080 paid for the I-485 also pays for I-131, and I-765

3) A month maybe as long as 4 months, in many cases I have seen people get green-card before getting AP when they filed I-485 and I-131 together.

4) 1 or 2 years, or until having green-card approved.

5) Indefinite, however, if an AOS interview happens this will cut the trip short.

Hello,

We are filling out the AP I-131. Section 7 asks to prepare a statement on a separate piece of paper explaining how you qualify for advance parole and what circumstances warrant issuance of such advance parole.

We are going back to China to celebrate Lili's mom 60th birthday. From what she told me this is a big deal in China. We are also going back to visit Lili's Aunt who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer (she had surgery to remove yesterday) Is this an acceptable reason?

Matt and Lili

This is really not a emergent personal or business reason. Is this acceptable?

Hello,

We are filling out the AP I-131. Section 7 asks to prepare a statement on a separate piece of paper explaining how you qualify for advance parole and what circumstances warrant issuance of such advance parole.

We are going back to China to celebrate Lili's mom 60th birthday. From what she told me this is a big deal in China. We are also going back to visit Lili's Aunt who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer (she had surgery to remove yesterday) Is this an acceptable reason?

Matt and Lili

This is really not a emergent personal or business reason. Is this acceptable?

The wording on the application is misleading. The AP's are awarded routinely for the most part. Don't feel like you need to write a persuasive essay.

Yes, it's acceptable. "Visiting relatives" is likewise an adequate reason.

Well, I guess I fell asleep....because it has already been 1 year since my fiance traveled to the US with me.

We were legally married in November and immediately filed for AOS (I-485, 765EAD, and 131AP).

She received EAD in February and I can't even remember what month she did her biometrics.

Her case was transferred from Chicago to California for processing.

We have heard nor received anything.

I didn't think or prepare for things to be expiring. This is crazy!

Everything else is fantastic. Planning our ACTUAL Wedding for Spring 2013.

Good news!!! We checked status again with our MSC number and green card is approved. No 2nd interview needed. The system says we should receive the green card within 7 days.

AOS Timeframe for us:

Married End of December 2011 in USA

Sent AOS 1 week later

Completed Biometrics in Mid Feb 2012

Transfered to CSC

Wait Wait Wait Check MSC many times

Checked MSC number again and green card approved Sept 7th 2012

Around a 9-month wait for us

Matt and Lili

Wow, that was fast. We received the green card yesterday :)

Quick travel question now that we have green card. What is needed when we travel back to China in November? Just China passport and green card only?

What about if we decide to go to Cancun, MX or on a cruise? Same? China passport and green card?

Wow, that was fast. We received the green card yesterday :)

Quick travel question now that we have green card. What is needed when we travel back to China in November? Just China passport and green card only?

What about if we decide to go to Cancun, MX or on a cruise? Same? China passport and green card?

If green card and passport have different name Married/Maiden, then a photo copy of marriage cert may be handy when traveling to show how name changed, also if book air tickets using passport name.

Yes just Green-card and Passport for travel to and from China, Mexico, Caribbean cruise, and Canada.

Most other countries will need a visit visa such as Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

Hobber-

Where did you originally submit your AOS documents?

Ours were sent to Chicago and later transferred to California.

When you say transferred to CSC did it go to California office?

My fiance had her biometrics done in January or February and received her Employment Authorization in February.

Still no decision on I-485.

Is anyone else experiencing very long wait times?!?

CSC is the large service center located in Laguna Niguel, CA, it is not a field office and they do not do interviews there.

Normaly a transfer to CSC = Approval without any interview, this is very common in K-1 adjustment cases.

Looking like it is taking 8 to 9 months filing to decision date.

http://www.visajourn...l&xfr=1&vtype=1