California Center 2 months behind on I-751

My I-751 app was received 9/6/11 and still hasn't been processed yet. This is incredibly annoying since we are waiting for the card before traveling to China together and neither of us wants to travel during the summer peak due to prices, crowds, and heat.

Anyway, just got off the phone with USCIS customer service rep and she said Cali is currently processing 7/16/11 apps, so they are approximately two months behind their 6 month target.

Hope this helps others who are wondering what's going on.

If you don't have card by time you plan on travel, simply schedule and info pass appointment to your field office, bring passport and extension letter and request an I-551 stamp in passport, the stamp should be marked status extend for 1 year.

The I-551 stamp will allow travel, and should prevent issues leaving China.

I know may be annoying, but waiting for I-751 is not as bad as waiting for other applications to process, because you do not lose residency status even with an expired card.

ugh...I had a feeling this was going to take a while. We've only been waiting 4 months. I guess there is a ways to go :sweating_buckets:

Silly question time-can one NOT travel w/ the 1 year extension letter? i.e. there MUST be that extra stamp in the passport pending receipt of the 10 yr greencard?

Yes - one can. The letter and the stamp carry the same significance.

- HOWEVER -

Airport clerks and/or immigrations personnel at foreign airports may not take the time to understand the letter. The stamp INSIDE the passport seems to carry more weight with some of those people.

• Like 1

I'm sending off our I-751 petition the first of April to Vermont...hope they are not as backed up. :gleam:

Sorry to tell you, but we submitted ours to Vermont in July and are still waiting 8 months later. Just a few months after we get the 10 year GC she'll be able to apply for citizenship.

I'm sending off our I-751 petition the first of April to Vermont...hope they are not as backed up. :gleam:

Sorry to tell you, but we submitted ours to Vermont in July and are still waiting 8 months later. Just a few months after we get the 10 year GC she'll be able to apply for citizenship.

Actually you don't need the 10 year GC to file the N-400, you can file it within 90 days prior to 3 years of residency, essentially file it 1 year after filing the I-751.

If the 10 year card is still pending when you qualify to file for citizenship, simply send a copy of the I-751 receipt letter and copy of expired 2 year card along with the N-400 application, this has the effect of getting them to pull the pending I-751 and process.

If the 10 year card is still pending when you qualify to file for citizenship, simply send a copy of the I-751 receipt letter and copy of expired 2 year card along with the N-400 application, this has the effect of getting them to pull the pending I-751 and process.

Thanks for that useful bit of info. We still have about 3 months before she can apply for citizenship, but you never know, it could come into play.

Sorry to confirm, BUT....we also submitted ours to Vermont in July....sitll waiting . . . . ... :sleeping:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to confirm, BUT....we also submitted ours to Vermont in July....sitll waiting . . . . ... :sleeping:

We just got the notice today that the Removal of Conditions was approved and we'll be receiving the 10 year GC within 60 days. It's nice to have.

[We just got the notice today that the Removal of Conditions was approved and we'll be receiving the 10 year GC within 60 days. It's nice to have.

Great news Honey bun...it's good to see everyone getting their 10 years cards and having a breather from the USCIS.

By the way, I like that name Honey Bun, I call the largest and most manly of the guys who I do projects with "Honey Bun" it's so hilarious....and he hasn't kicked my sorry butt yet, either....LOL

tsap seui

Thanks Tsap. No USCIS break for us just yet, though. We'll be applying for citizenship in June so we can have the ability to live in China for extended periods without the threat of GC revocation hanging over our heads, or the unthinkable rigamorale and expense of abandoning status and going through the process again. There's a bright light at the end of the USCIS tunnel for us now, at least.

Honeybun is what my wife calls me. Mostly when I'm in the other room and she needs something. Emphasis on the bun, as in honey buuuuuuunnnn! Judging by some of the stuff you come off with here, the people you work with probably have more fun on the job having a chat with you than they do on their off-hours. There was a line you wrote one time, something about riding the south end of a northbound rubber ardvark... my god, a unique mind and a tongue colorful enough to express it.

• 1 month later...

So, as a follow up to our application, today I just received my hubby's 'Notice of Removal of Conditional Basis of Lawful Permanent Residence" (I-797 NOA) and our AOS was also filed thru our friends in the CA Service Center (yet the online notice system isn't updated yet w/ the BLUE decision Ball?!)

At least per this NOA, it states that we should get his new card w/in 60 days! Hooray! So I'm assuming no interviews or additional info is required from us...*is it time to breath a brief sigh of relief yet?*

Now, our late summer trip to China may not be held up (we sort of agreed to just travel domestically if there was any added complexity b/c I'm on paperwork overload as of late and we don't anyone (= me) to blow a fuse with extra paperwork fun.....), which would be good b/c his family surely misses him.

Edited by baobeizhu (see edit history)