April Interview Group (Common Posting Thread)

Claim the automatic 2 month extension.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97324,00.html

U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

When to File

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien residing overseas, or are in the military on duty outside the U.S., on the regular due date of your return, you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return and pay any amount due without requesting an extension. For a calendar year return, the automatic 2-month extension is to June 15.

I would go with the flow, I doubt the consulate will demand that your joint sponsor provide copy of this year's return, but if they have done it, see about them scanning them and emailing it to you for you to print and bring to interview.

Go with what you can pull together at the time. When they expect miracles, they'll just issue a blue slip.

The catch is that they don't follow the same schedule as the IRS - they can and HAVE asked for the current year returns BEFORE April 15, regardless of your tax status. There's nothing you can do about that, except to go in with what you have and hope for the best. Any additional information you can get MAY help - current (this year's) paycheck stubs, bank deposits, etc. - but by and large, you'll know what they're looking for if you see it on a blue slip.

hmm... I guess going with what i have is all i can do... Only other thing im concerned about is relationship evidence... with my USCIS submission i included a large quantity of photos, statements from a friend who came with me when i first came to china, and all her brothers and sisters as to the legitimacy of our relationship, copy of my passport, and a lease agreement.. i have spent 11 months out of every year since we met in 2008 in china with her... this should be reflected by my passport and joint leases i would think. we dont have much in the way of emails to each other as we are always together... not really any phone records either :(... i hope they will understand that i have spent my last 4 years in china with her, 2 years of which were before we were married... domicile evidence is the deed to my house... and the address on my current drivers license.. i would imagine that is pretty air tight. idk... im not good with this Bureaucratic stuff... anxiety is really getting to me.. this forum has truly been invaluable, thanks to you all

hmm... I guess going with what i have is all i can do... Only other thing im concerned about is relationship evidence... with my USCIS submission i included a large quantity of photos, statements from a friend who came with me when i first came to china, and all her brothers and sisters as to the legitimacy of our relationship, copy of my passport, and a lease agreement.. i have spent 11 months out of every year since we met in 2008 in china with her... this should be reflected by my passport and joint leases i would think. we dont have much in the way of emails to each other as we are always together... not really any phone records either :(... i hope they will understand that i have spent my last 4 years in china with her, 2 years of which were before we were married... domicile evidence is the deed to my house... and the address on my current drivers license.. i would imagine that is pretty air tight. idk... im not good with this Bureaucratic stuff... anxiety is really getting to me.. this forum has truly been invaluable, thanks to you all

Russ, no worries with relationship when you have been living overseas as a couple and can provide this proof, in these cases they tend to focus on your ability to support an immigrant after you come to the USA, so more focus falls on financial and affidavits of support, and well as your ability to actually provide an affidavit of support which requires evidence of maintaining a domicile in the USA or strong evidence of reestablishing US domicile.

Only hitch you may face is CCP issue, is your wife now or formerly a member of the Chinese Communist party. If so she MUST not lie about that.

I was pondering the tax thing yesterday. Our interview is the day after Tax Day. When I sent everything off, EP, to NVC the 2011 taxes hadn't been prepared and the paperwork reflected that. Now, the 2011 taxes have been done. I started to wonder if not only would they want to see the 2011 transcripts (I have them in our package and ready) but may also want to see an I-864EZ with the 2011 information even though we turned in 2010 to NVC.

What we've decided to do is on document turn in day we'll give them exactly what we gave NVC, with the addition of the 2011 transcripts. However, in the package Sue will take into the interview will be a freshly made signed and dated I-864EZ with the 2011 information on it. That way, if the VO says "Oh, we'd love to give you the visa, but we need this form first" she can just pull it out and hand it to them immediately.

How does that sound?

I was pondering the tax thing yesterday. Our interview is the day after Tax Day. When I sent everything off, EP, to NVC the 2011 taxes hadn't been prepared and the paperwork reflected that. Now, the 2011 taxes have been done. I started to wonder if not only would they want to see the 2011 transcripts (I have them in our package and ready) but may also want to see an I-864EZ with the 2011 information even though we turned in 2010 to NVC.

What we've decided to do is on document turn in day we'll give them exactly what we gave NVC, with the addition of the 2011 transcripts. However, in the package Sue will take into the interview will be a freshly made signed and dated I-864EZ with the 2011 information on it. That way, if the VO says "Oh, we'd love to give you the visa, but we need this form first" she can just pull it out and hand it to them immediately.

How does that sound?

No, Signing the I-864 or I-134 is stating that the form and any evidence (1040) is true and accurate under penalty of perjury. Attaching copies of your current return + supporting docs (W2, 1099, etc...) is sufficient per I-864 directions.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-864Taxes.jpg

It's one or the other not both.

How does that sound?

No, Signing the I-864 or I-134 is stating that the form and any evidence (1040) is true and accurate under penalty of perjury. Attaching copies of your current return + supporting docs (W2, 1099, etc...) is sufficient per I-864 directions.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-864Taxes.jpg

Wait, I'm confused. If I turn in the I-864EZ as sent to NVC (hereafter known as the 2010 864), but have a copy ready of the one showing 2011 information, that would be a problem? I'm not sure I see how. We have transcripts for 2007 - 2011 available. I planned on having her turn in 2008, 2009 and 2010 (to satisfy the 2010 864) and the 2011 one (to forestall "we want the current years" issues). We'd have the 2011 864 in reserve just in case they suddenly decided they wanted it (to forestall a blue slip and delay). There'd be no mention of it unless they specifically ask for it. Is there something wrong with that?

How does that sound?

Wait, I'm confused. If I turn in the I-864EZ as sent to NVC (hereafter known as the 2010 864), but have a copy ready of the one showing 2011 information, that would be a problem? I'm not sure I see how. We have transcripts for 2007 - 2011 available. I planned on having her turn in 2008, 2009 and 2010 (to satisfy the 2010 864) and the 2011 one (to forestall "we want the current years" issues). We'd have the 2011 864 in reserve just in case they suddenly decided they wanted it (to forestall a blue slip and delay). There'd be no mention of it unless they specifically ask for it. Is there something wrong with that?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Our document turn in day is tomorrow and now I'm not sure what to do?

Also, my previous post as to what we're including for document turn-in, does it look correct?

Sorry to have missed your post with questions fooz. I reckon it's the evening of the turn in docs day. I'm sure whatever you decided was okay and your list looked complete.

Good luck tomorrow morning. I'm sure she will do well and your post after the interview will be full of happiness.

tsap seui

• Like 1

Have to believe Foobaz is going to be ok! Check out his timeline---no VO can argue that this relationship isn't sincere... You out there Foobaz? ... should be a slam-dunk ..... and its probably going on just about right now......

Whare is you Fooz? I've got a 500 foot long string of farcrackers layed out waitin' for me to light them.

tsap seui

Have to believe Foobaz is going to be ok! Check out his timeline---no VO can argue that this relationship isn't sincere... You out there Foobaz? ... should be a slam-dunk ..... and its probably going on just about right now......

Whare is you Fooz? I've got a 500 foot long string of farcrackers layed out waitin' for me to light them.

tsap seui

:D

Actually, today was just document turn-in. It went without problems, even though I spent nearly 4 hours waiting in the Super Expensive Coffee Shop. We're going back first thing in the morning for the interview. Hopefully all goes well. For now, we're off to go get drugs (I've got some kind of crud going on) and dinner. :) Thanks for all the well wishes. I'll update you guys with more tomorrow.