Stupid name situation

Here's the quick rundown. We've been doing paperwork for my wife since 2005. She came here in 2007 on a K-2 visa. She got her greencard 2 years later in 2009. I wrote her name as FIRST NAME: YING YING LAST NAME:ZHAO on EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF PAPERWORK!

She is now looking at the N-400 I typed up to send in and is angry and offended by the space in her first name. I've done it that way for 8 years of marriage, she had no problems.She's had the greencard for 3 years with no problems.

After getting talked to like an idiot and breaking a door to spare her I need to ask. If we mail in her N-400 as YINGYING ZHAO instead of YING YING ZHAO does it matter? Her greencard shows Ying Ying. She has no middle name.

Please advise as soon as possible. Personally I could care less if they deported her right now.

• Like 1

Becoming a naturalized citizen is one of the easiest times to do a name change. Technically she can change it to whatever she wishes, first and last name. It's been a while since I read the N-400 but there is a section in it for a name change. I believe the Immigration judge at the swearing in ceremony grants it.

Actually will not matter, when filing N-400 this is an opportunity to legally change name.

N-400 Sections A, B, and C should be the way it has been. However notice section D on the form, there is where you can make the name change to one without a space.

She called me again today at work. Says she's looking at her social security card and it says Ying Ying Zhao (which is something SHE did back in 2002, but that's ok...) and wonders if we change it to Yingying Zhao will she need to change it on her social security card, will we need to amend the marriage certificate, will we need to etc, etc. She wonders if we need to just leave it alone now, then she wonders about "maybe I need an American middle name so people won't call me Ying Yang". I told her just to tell those people who did to s.t.f.u.

Anyway...I really don't know, anyone have any idea about needing to change anything with Social Security if we change her name on that form, or having to notify any other agencies?

• Like 1

And finally she insists I am wrong and I may be about the below topic:

When it says How many times have you been married? That should = 1 ? When it says how many times has your spouse been married, that also should = 1?

Assuming this is the only marriage both of us have been in, and it is. We should write one time for both of us being married right? Just asking, as I am wrong sometimes and nothing sucks more than a returned form from USCIS...well maybe a denial sucks more, but returned form is way up the "this sucks" scale. Plus if I am right I can print it out and frame it.

And finally she insists I am wrong and I may be about the below topic:

When it says How many times have you been married? That should = 1 ? When it says how many times has your spouse been married, that also should = 1?

Assuming this is the only marriage both of us have been in, and it is. We should write one time for both of us being married right? Just asking, as I am wrong sometimes and nothing sucks more than a returned form from USCIS...well maybe a denial sucks more, but returned form is way up the "this sucks" scale. Plus if I am right I can print it out and frame it.

You cannot be married ZERO times then you would NOT be married and NEVER married. The correct answer is ONE time for each, unless you were married before.

On my Wife's N-400 we put 1. Also notice Part 8 Question A where it says if Never married got to part 9 skipping spouse, this is because if 0 and NEVER married there is no spouse to mention.

Just one note on the name change thingy.....If it has been some time since you got married and want to alter her to your last name you will have some difficulty at the SSN office if the marriage occurred more than 2 years ago. It is a classic expiration date on the "chicken and egg" scenario. We are going through the process and SSN sent us packing to get other documents - if you can believe this a "Note from a Doctor" where she has been under his care in the recent past. Then the Marriage certificate is good enough for the name change. If you want, as others have said to change her name to "Rotten Chinese Wife" - then you may need other documentation depending on your state - but as others have said...nows the time to do it. Best of Luck!