Income Taxes

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for the assist. We are going through the AOS now. Lili arrived in the states in late December ( k1 fiancee visa) and we married on Dec 29th. Lili doesn't have a social security number yet. I need to file married on my taxes this year. How do I do this without Lili having a SS#? What is needed? W7 form attached with my 1040?

Matt and Lili

Did you file for EAD? Once it is granted you should be able to get a SSN. If you really need to file before you have SSN for her then you have to file for an ITIN. SInce she is here, getting a copy of her passport notarized should be relatively simple. That is all you need for the W-7.

Go to the SSA office and apply for an SSN, K1 can get SSN during the 90 days after arriving in the states.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Sometimes after married get some resistance from SSA office so some simply apply for number using maiden name and after getting EAD or greencard they change name with SSA.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

We went to the SS Office on January 9th. We provided all the correct information and the lady put all of Lili's information into the computer. Something wanst matching up. However, the system wouldnt tell her what it was. She then double checked everything with us. She said the information isnt matching what is in the computer. She said she needed to send in the information and someone would verify and then if approved we will receive SS Card/Number via the mail. She said this takes 4-6 weeks :(

The only thing I can think of is the way Lili's mom name is spelled. Lian Shaung Dai vs. Lianshaung Dai. Now that I think about it I think we put Lian Shaung Dai (first/middle/last) on the SS# paperwork. We put Lianshaung Dia on all the other immigration forms. Would this cause the problem with not matching up?

Thanks,

Matt

EAD - Employment Authorization Document - normally this is not very useful as it typically is only valid as long as the I-94 so it is difficult to get a job with. However it is a valid employment authorization so it entitles the new immigrant to a SSN which is what you are worried about. I was not aware it appears you are eligible for the SSN based upon the K-1 visa alone.

EAD - Employment Authorization Document - normally this is not very useful as it typically is only valid as long as the I-94 so it is difficult to get a job with. However it is a valid employment authorization so it entitles the new immigrant to a SSN which is what you are worried about. I was not aware it appears you are eligible for the SSN based upon the K-1 visa alone.

The EAD card is valid for one year, and is free when applied for in conjunction with an AOS application

The K-1 visa includes Employment Authorization, which, like you say, allows you to apply for an SS card. Occasionally, an employer will hire based n the expectation that you will have the full employment authorization (EAD card) within 90 days.

The SSA issues SS cards to people who are authorized to work in the US, whether K-1, EAD, or green card.

Not quite, EAD card is valid for 1 - 2 years or until the green-card arrives.

It allows work while waiting for AOS approval.

In most cases the green-card arrives around the same time as EAD.

One note about form I-765 used to apply for EAD, there is a basis code, USE (c )(9 ) based on the pending I-485, NOT (a )(6 ) based on K-1, the (a )(6 ) basis is the one that expires when I-94 expires.

We went to the SS Office on January 9th. We provided all the correct information and the lady put all of Lili's information into the computer. Something wanst matching up. However, the system wouldnt tell her what it was. She then double checked everything with us. She said the information isnt matching what is in the computer. She said she needed to send in the information and someone would verify and then if approved we will receive SS Card/Number via the mail. She said this takes 4-6 weeks :(

The only thing I can think of is the way Lili's mom name is spelled. Lian Shaung Dai vs. Lianshaung Dai. Now that I think about it I think we put Lian Shaung Dai (first/middle/last) on the SS# paperwork. We put Lianshaung Dia on all the other immigration forms. Would this cause the problem with not matching up?

Thanks,

Matt

I doubt a typo or slight mixup of a mother's name is the cause of their issue.

Hav you filed the AOS paperwork yet, if so, then perhaps the married name vs maiden name is causing them issues.

Yes, we turned in all the AOS paperwork last week Thursday. I received text on Tuesday saying they received it......

We didnt want the name change issue to be a problem. So Lili kept her name. Down the road we will do the name change.

I guess all I can do is play the waiting game again.....Worst case is 6 weeks they say (Mid/Late February timeframe)

Yes, we turned in all the AOS paperwork last week Thursday. I received text on Tuesday saying they received it......

We didnt want the name change issue to be a problem. So Lili kept her name. Down the road we will do the name change.

I guess all I can do is play the waiting game again.....Worst case is 6 weeks they say (Mid/Late February timeframe)

If the SSA doesn't come through for you soon, this MIGHT be worth an InfoPass appointment to see what's in her file. The sooner you catch any glitches, the better.

What is a info pass appointment? Who is this with? Local SS office again?

This is an appointment with your USCIS field office.

http://infopass.uscis.gov/ (Pick the closest field office, the satellite offices tend to be just for Biographic fingerprinting (Application Support Center))

Made appointment Infopass to speak to a immigration officer. The nearest field office is 1.5 hours away in San Antonio, TX. Appointment is a week from tomorrow, January 27th. Will they have access to everything to clear this up? Will they have access to what my local social security office entered into the computer. I would hate to take a day off work, drive to San Antonio, and then they tell me they cant assist.

Thanks,

Matt and Lili

Hi all,

Does anyone know the phone number to field office in San Antonio, TX? I set up the Infopass appointment online. I cant find a phone number anywhere for them. I want to make sure I dont waist a day in San Antonio if they dont have access to everything to clear this issue up.

ie - Will they have access to everything to clear this up? Will they have access to what my local social security office entered into the computer. I would hate to take a day off work, drive to San Antonio, and then they tell me they cant assist.