work issues.

I went through a few years of this, my wife working massage, and I was pulled into some aspects of the inner workings and saw just about it all... in the end, it was one of the primary reasons we divorced.

I agree with.

1. Asian/boss typically works them long hours. But the girls tend to rotate and can sleep at the shop, so they do not get as burnt out as you might expect unless they are physically not that strong.

2. Income tax not being paid by many is very true... even those who are legal.... so you will face this issue when you report her taxes (or not). If she is not an employee, she has to file as her own 'business'... you would get a 1099 (if anything).

The biggest issue I will say is to know the state requirements for being able to do massage and don't shortcut it by working without a license. That risk is not worth it. If she is licensed then it is very hard to control what other girls might do but really the only collateral damage I saw from another girl without a license is to the boss, not the other workers. But the business can be forced to shut down which would affect everyone's income.

These massage places tend to know each other and as Dennis said they will even rotate around stores... and many "friends" will tell them stories which make them want to try another place. It's a rat race that is easy for the girls to get caught up in since they find it is actually easy to make good money.

good luck.

Like David, I too have seen and been on the 'inside' of these massage businesses. Keep in mind, no matter how much you want to poo poo the notion, Massage + Asian women = prostitution in the minds of many. Massage parlors are an easy mark for police. Here in LA, County Sheriff were busted for citing women for prostitution as punishment when the women would not perform sexual acts on the officers. The officers knew the women weren't English literate and that they had little recourse but to go deeper underground and hope they didn't get busted again. Many women who begin massage with pure intent find that girls who give the happy ending get the repeat customers and the lure of easy money is sometimes too strong.

Again, unless she can work as a licensed masseuse in a city licensed establishment stay away.

little bit of an update. last night she got home around 8:30. she could tell I was a little upset when she got home. I asked her if the vietnamese boss had hired her. she told me no the woman had offered her the job but Hui said her husband did not want her working so many hours so she could not do full time. (hui often uses the "my husband said no." Excuse to get out of things....) so the vietnamese boss said she could continue to work part time being as we only live 10 minutes away from the store.

as far is the legal issues of massage in arizona they can do it as long as they call it reflex ology and not massage. Hui you starting massage school next month at the local community college near our house. it's a 9 month course 750 hours of classroom and practical time. Hui qualify for a pell grant to pay about 2 thirds of the costthe classes taught in both english and chinese. personally I think they should give way to class for free as she is responsible for the entire class being enrolled. it's kinda funny actually they need a minimum of 8 people to run the chinese speaking massage course so Hui gets on the phone with all of her friends and manages to round up 10 chinese ldys to go down to take the course together.

Hui and I have been talking about working for chinese bosses, she said she doesn't really want to. so the plan is for her to get her license then she will return to work for the doctor she was working for before who told her that once she has her license she will guarantee her 100 dollars a day if you work from 830 am to 6 pm.

I think things are moving in the right direction I'm happy she took my feelings into consideration

A Mafan:

Yeah, a Chinese woman wanting more money, you never see that!

(sorry, forgive my snark please! I couldn't resist!)

I bit my tongue hard and walked away from posting this exact sentiment :D

That's the thing, Chinese advertise under the guise of reflexology or accupressure when everyone knows that means massage. :ph34r:

Yes and No... In CA (and chinese areas), that may the case but not everywhere... but I give you a +1 for the subtlety of the point ;)

The biggest issue I will say is to know the state requirements for being able to do massage and don't shortcut it by working without a license. That risk is not worth it. If she is licensed then it is very hard to control what other girls might do but really the only collateral damage I saw from another girl without a license is to the boss, not the other workers. But the business can be forced to shut down which would affect everyone's income.

Like David, I too have seen and been on the 'inside' of these massage businesses. Keep in mind, no matter how much you want to poo poo the notion, Massage + Asian women = prostitution in the minds of many. Massage parlors are an easy mark for police. Here in LA, County Sheriff were busted for citing women for prostitution as punishment when the women would not perform sexual acts on the officers. The officers knew the women weren't English literate and that they had little recourse but to go deeper underground and hope they didn't get busted again. Many women who begin massage with pure intent find that girls who give the happy ending get the repeat customers and the lure of easy money is sometimes too strong.

Again, unless she can work as a licensed masseuse in a city licensed establishment stay away.

Cities differ in some respects... what license they require; what workers they can draw; what clients they can attract... There is a 'chinese way', a chinese solution... Some are actually legit and don't do the bad stuff but they pretend to do it. Others simply do it. It is a game they have figured out how to play... with the americans.

little bit of an update. last night she got home around 8:30. she could tell I was a little upset when she got home. I asked her if the vietnamese boss had hired her. she told me no the woman had offered her the job but Hui said her husband did not want her working so many hours so she could not do full time. (hui often uses the "my husband said no." Excuse to get out of things....) so the vietnamese boss said she could continue to work part time being as we only live 10 minutes away from the store.

Common game of 'who is boss'... eastern workers comply to this way...

as far is the legal issues of massage in arizona they can do it as long as they call it reflexology and not massage.

That is the game Dennis mentions... moving on...

Hui you starting massage school next month at the local community college near our house. it's a 9 month course 750 hours of classroom and practical time. Hui qualify for a pell grant to pay about 2 thirds of the costthe classes taught in both english and chinese. personally I think they should give way to class for free as she is responsible for the entire class being enrolled. it's kinda funny actually they need a minimum of 8 people to run the chinese speaking massage course so Hui gets on the phone with all of her friends and manages to round up 10 chinese ldys to go down to take the course together.

Game countered with another game.... chinese will 'play the system' as needed. Don't expect a free ride for a massage license. You want her to learn the skill or feel it's free?

Robert H:

Hui and I have been talking about working for chinese bosses, she said she doesn't really want to. so the plan is for her to get her license then she will return to work for the doctor she was working for before who told her that once she has her license she will guarantee her 100 dollars a day if you work from 830 am to 6 pm.

I think things are moving in the right direction I'm happy she took my feelings into consideration

This is the obvious and best choice... forget chasing money... do a decent and respectable job.

Yeah, a Chinese woman wanting more money, you never see that!

(sorry, forgive my snark please! I couldn't resist!)

Haha, that is awesome.... I suppose you are right..... Though if my wife is like that, I have not seen it yet..... Still early though...

Sometimes you gotta go for the cheap laugh, right?

Different assumptions arising from different cultures...Chinese people aren't as comfortable with the debt load we accept as normal. So most Chinese wives want to get out of debt as quickly as possible, and are willing to work to bring that about.

But it is also true that once your income/debt situation reaches the point where they feel safe or secure, then they arent going to push you to an early grave just for money.

And then, it is still (and always will be) true that there are always differing personalities and styles and situations. Your situation is such that your wife doesnt push for money.

My wife has never worked in the US either.