when to file the married name?

Hi,

We were wondering that when we should file the married name for the wife? Should we request it when we get married have it on our marriage certificate? Or we will have to do that after we get married with some other department? What is the procedure to do that?

And, let say if the wife name is Ling Chen who married Tim Wilsons, do they just make the wife's married name in Ling Wilsons?? How does it work usually?

Thank you very much!

Hi,

We were wondering that when we should file the married name for the wife? Should we request it when we get married have it on our marriage certificate? Or we will have to do that after we get married with some other department? What is the procedure to do that?

And, let say if the wife name is Ling Chen who married Tim Wilsons, do they just make the wife's married name in Ling Wilsons?? How does it work usually?

Thank you very much!

Chinese custom is wife's name doesn't change, she would be Ling Chen before and after you are married.

American custom is the bride adds on the husbands name, some dropping their original last name. Thus (presuming Ling is family name) could be Chen Wilson, or Chen Ling Wilson in America.

My wife just kept her original Chinese name as would be done in China. I was not concerned about this issue, and it was easier for all the documents.

Hi,

Thank you very much!

Chinese custom is wife's name doesn't change, she would be Ling Chen before and after you are married.

American custom is the bride adds on the husbands name, some dropping their original last name. Thus (presuming Ling is family name) could be Chen Wilson, or Chen Ling Wilson in America.

My wife just kept her original Chinese name as would be done in China. I was not concerned about this issue, and it was easier for all the documents.

To clarify - that's simply a custom. In the U.S, the bride has a choice of which name to adopt or to keep her original name - for a while, it was common to adopt a hypenated combination of both last names. Or the man can incorporate his bride's last name into his.

Anytime you need to change an account, green card, driver's license, credit card, etc. name simply show the marriage license if there is any question.

Depending on your state's policy, I believe the marriage license will only show the unmarried names.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

depends on where you are getting married, if in states on K1 the get married name on marriage certificate, then adjust status using married name.

If married overseas in China, then may do after arriving in the states, legally and then apply for a replacement green card.

I'm assuming you are filing K-1 and getting married here instead of China.

Here in Oregon the marriage licence is in your own name. There is nothing to fill out showing a married name. When my wife and I got married we first went to the Social Security office and filed for a SS card. We simply provided a certified copy of the marriage licence and her passport. She filled out the application in her married name. As many couples do since Chinese don't have a middle name she moved her maiden name to middle name and adopted my family name. She received her SS card in about 4 days. When we sent in our adjustment of status papers we filled them all out in her married name with her maiden name as middle name. At the AOS interview the IO told us she could use my last name, her last name or a hyphenated name. ie Smith-Jones but she couldn't use her maiden name as a middle name. We told the IO to just use my family name then. Interestingly enough when her green card came it showed her maiden name as middle name as we originally requested. I know many other couples here at CFL have done the same with no problems.

In short to directly answer your question, after you get married fill out the I-485 and supporting documents in her married name and include a photocopy of a certified marriage license.

I wonder though if you were to get married in China and filled out the I-130 in your married name if the end result wouldn't be the same. I don't know of anyone here who has tried that.

We were CR1 but made no attempt to make a name change until Lao po came to the US and applied for a SS#. That's when we used the new family name.

Also in the case of a 2 year CR-Green-card, can hold off on a name change until removing conditions, at which point can file to remove conditions using married name.