"Better than yesterday ....."

knloregon

So yesterday, it involved about a half pound of yellow, meaty chanterelles with the their deep, distinctive fragrance, fresh from the woods, One of the (very few) fringe benefits of living in a rainy climate---saut¨¦ed lightly, and mixed with pre-cooked chicken, gai-lan, sprouts and some of the last beans and small tomatos from the garden. The mistake was adding about a table spoon of extra virgin olive oil, and the same amount of Alfredo ------ both natural compliments to the chanterellies ---IF you happen to be French, or Italian---but not Chinese .. served, of course, on a bed of jasmine rice.

So as tonight's re-do, I used uncooked chicken, chopped into about 4 inch chunks, (way too big for Chinese taste, I know---and mostly without all the small bone splinters---another drawback) simmered in a covered skillet --- with carrot chunks, yellow curry, dried Mexican leaf oregano (strong) and late in the process--- celery and some long bean . (plus the rice, of course)

Her: "Hummm sort of Indian? and, the "Better than yesterday" ---compliment--- I think.... :huh: So, comments? such as: how has your wife adjusted to western cuisine (if at all)

My wife likes western cuisine. Of course, she will always go back to her "home base"

I was the same way. When I lived in China, I loved Chinese food, but every now-and-then, I just wanted a steak.

No problem here! After a year my wife pretty much likes everything I make for her including lasagna, grilled hot dogs & hamburgers, Italian sausage, Campbell soups, fish ... WITHOUT the head, tail and bones, BBQ chicken breasts .... WITHOUT bones(doesn't miss the bones in fish, chicken or beef at all ... "Western ingenuity"!), London Broil, steak, Mexican taco meat and Vermont cheddar cheese to name a few. She loves French bread, salami, ham, potato salad and pizza. Ever see a Chinese woman eat pizza with chopsticks ... you haven't lived! She never complains about the "Western food" at all and says in is "Very fragrant"! The main staple, however, will always remain her Chinese cooking... not a problem with me! Life remains beautiful!

ChunMei's adjusted reasonably well. Some things she likes; some she doesn't.

She loves western chocolate, and thinks Krispy Kreme is the food of the gods. she's trying to figure out how to take some home to her father on her next visit home.

She thinks American salad is a wonderful invention, and now puts ranch salad dressing on everything.

She loves western chocolate, and thinks Krispy Kreme is the food of the gods. she's trying to figure out how to take some home to her father on her next visit home.

She thinks American salad is a wonderful invention, and now puts ranch salad dressing on everything.

:lol: Krispy Kreme, they tried working the Rochester market a few years ago, and died a horrible death, "like eating sugared air", the local clientele prefer something more substantial like Dunkin Doughnuts, or the many other locally grown doughnuts.

You know, I was surprised that my wife liked their doughnuts. I've always been a big fan of them, but figured they'd be too sweet for her. Nope, they gave Jing2 a free one while waiting in line, and she bought three more when she got up to the cashier. Atta girl.

You know, I was surprised that my wife liked their doughnuts. I've always been a big fan of them, but figured they'd be too sweet for her. Nope, they gave Jing2 a free one while waiting in line, and she bought three more when she got up to the cashier. Atta girl.

That is one big difference between my wife and I. She does not have the sweet tooth we have as Americans. I bought some Cinnamon Buns to eat for breakfast which is one of my favorite foods. She took one bite, said it was too sweet and wouldn't touch it.

That is one big difference between my wife and I. She does not have the sweet tooth we have as Americans. I bought some Cinnamon Buns to eat for breakfast which is one of my favorite foods. She took one bite, said it was too sweet and wouldn't touch it.

ChunMei has a serious sweet tooth. She specifically asked me to teach her how to use the oven and show her how to make a cake from mix. Now she bakes about 2 cakes a week. In a year we'll probably both weigh about 700 pounds. :D

This topic is one of the common issues, for most, the BIG thing missed about China is the food, in the states we tend to Freeze, preserve, salt, sweeten... all these things make the food undesirable to most Chinese.

It is the biggest issue for my wife, even the local Chinese restaurants tend to over westernize the food, so it is hard to find something she actually likes.