Chinese University Degrees

computerguy

Hi guys! My wife has a degree in Psychology, we are going back to USA in 4 weeks and I'm wondering what does she need to bring in regards to her degree. She wants to go to a University in USA and study more(Maybe try to go for a Masters..dont know how possible that is, or start a new major), but I don't want her to have to start from the very beginning again. What will she need to take from China to USA so that she can have credit for the work shes done in China? Someone said I should get a transcript and have it translated just like my marriage certificate or anything else, but I'm not sure if there is more to it than that. Can anyone give me any extra information about this?

(And this is a completely unrelated question, but I didn't want to open a second topic: When you arrive with your wife to USA, do you need to get re-married or anything, or will our marriage automatically be official in USA?)

Hey, congratulations!

She will need to talk to an adviser at her school of choice, as would anyone. Yes, a translation would come in handy. The adviser would most likely review the available courses with her, and ask her what she's already covered, and what she needs more background in. They should also come up with a plan toward whichever degree she decides to pursue.

If her background is weak or not in line with US requirements, she may have to take lower level courses that may end up not counting towards a masters degree.

She shouldn't have to re-take anything she's already mastered, although she may want to take it easy until she's used to classes in English.

Yes, your marriage is good to go - recognized around the world.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Here is how some, although not Chinese Teachers, did it... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44708445/ns/today-education_nation/t/foreign-teachers-american-dreams-vanish-flash/

Probably doesn't apply in your situation, rather it points out what we already know. It depends on who you know. I seem to recall as I researched this article that the number 29,000 "imported" teachers came to mind.

Another case I have heard of involves a Chemistry Teacher, supposedly highly rated in China. In fact, her transcripts did not convert to a full BS Degree.

Consequently, in order to obtain a BS Degree she needs additional credits. She needs to meet the local College's minimun 2 year in residence graduation requirement.

And, just as was stated above, she will likely need "remedial" courses following whatever her pre-placement test result are.

Sadly, she has too many credits and is ineligible to attend local Junior College.

I'm sure I've read of success stories over the years. The devil is in getting the nitty gritty details of how it was done. Exactly.

There are authorized Agents who,for a fee, will analyze the transcripts, translating them, if necessary, and give you (and the school) a full report.4 weeks is not enough time to do this before you arrive in the US. My meaning was to try and make sure of the BS prior to leaving China.

And, I don't mean the Chinese BS, I mean the Agency Rated Equivalency.

Good Luck on this important project.

Edited by dnoblett
Fixed Hyper Link (see edit history)

My wife is also interested in graduate school in the US. One thing my wife has been working on including taking classes for the IELTS test which is the UK version of TOEFL. She is working on IELTS since Chinese conventional wisdom is it easier than TOEFL. While some schools have alternative methods for non-native-English-speaking students, if you want your overseas credits to transfer, TOEFL or IELTS is typically required especially to enter directly to a graduate program. Even if she ends up not needing it, it is only helping her English.

Even though most of my Expat friends consider my wife fluent in English, she scored in the 5.0 to 6.0 band while graduate schools typically require the 6.0 to 7.0 band. This is on a scale of 1.0 to 9.0, getting to 6.0 to 7.0 is going to take some work as it is only a matter of a few questions. In helping her study, I have taken practice tests with her and I often only score in the 7.5 to 8.0 band since a 9.0 requires a perfect score. Here is the IELTS scoring system.

Where my wife struggles is in vocabulary and grammar. The reading required is what I would consider a college level so it can take her the entire allotted 40 minutes to get through the passage. The questions are easier than what might be on the SAT but the actual reading is comparable. She told me you can give her a sentence with a grammar error and she can find it, but if you ask her to write the same sentence fresh she is likely to make the same mistake she just found.

I do have one question, does anyone know what Chinese College transcripts are called in Chinese? I have told my wife she should get them but I am not sure she knows what I mean by transcripts. (Vocabulary again :rolleyes: )

Transcript = ³É¼¨µ¥ = Cheng Ji Dan

My wife is also interested in graduate school in the US. One thing my wife has been working on including taking classes for the IELTS test which is the UK version of TOEFL. She is working on IELTS since Chinese conventional wisdom is it easier than TOEFL. While some schools have alternative methods for non-native-English-speaking students, if you want your overseas credits to transfer, TOEFL or IELTS is typically required especially to enter directly to a graduate program. Even if she ends up not needing it, it is only helping her English.

Even though most of my Expat friends consider my wife fluent in English, she scored in the 5.0 to 6.0 band while graduate schools typically require the 6.0 to 7.0 band. This is on a scale of 1.0 to 9.0, getting to 6.0 to 7.0 is going to take some work as it is only a matter of a few questions. In helping her study, I have taken practice tests with her and I often only score in the 7.5 to 8.0 band since a 9.0 requires a perfect score. Here is the IELTS scoring system.

Where my wife struggles is in vocabulary and grammar. The reading required is what I would consider a college level so it can take her the entire allotted 40 minutes to get through the passage. The questions are easier than what might be on the SAT but the actual reading is comparable. She told me you can give her a sentence with a grammar error and she can find it, but if you ask her to write the same sentence fresh she is likely to make the same mistake she just found.

I do have one question, does anyone know what Chinese College transcripts are called in Chinese? I have told my wife she should get them but I am not sure she knows what I mean by transcripts. (Vocabulary again :rolleyes: )

For what it's worth, in the current job market a BA in Psychology from a US university is also useless. She should definitely change majors in any case. A psych degree these days will jet you a job at Starbucks, Maybe. Trust me; I've got an MA, and have spent the past 20 years working in the iT industry.

If your wife wants to go for graduate study or switch to other undergraduate programs. below is what she needs to have.

1) Multiple copies (sealed) of her transcripts (Cheng Ji Dan ³É¼¨µ¥) from her graduating universities in China. The transcripts are in Chinese and English with her original scores, provided by her university. When she submits them to an US university, the admission committee will converse them into USA scores such GPA to decide her qualification. Credits which she earned in China will be accepted even you want to enroll a complete different program. After she get admission, the department adviser will let her know what courses she needs to take (or waive) to complete the degree. That will be another story.

2) Multiple notarized certificates of her degrees (bachelor/master/PhD) obtained in China from Gong Zheng Chu (probably prepare 3 copies). Some USA universities may require them especially if she wants to apply for a doctoral program.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)