Health insurance until I find a job

computerguy

Hello guys! Me and my wife will be going back to the USA sometime in November. I will be looking for a job when I get there, but something I've been thinking about is health insurance. Shes only 24, no health problems, so I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations? I've thought about just getting something for emergencies since I hope to get a job soon and have her covered anyways. If anyone was in a similar situation...let me know if you have any recommendations! (Going to Tennessee if that matters)

Hello guys! Me and my wife will be going back to the USA sometime in November. I will be looking for a job when I get there, but something I've been thinking about is health insurance. Shes only 24, no health problems, so I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations? I've thought about just getting something for emergencies since I hope to get a job soon and have her covered anyways. If anyone was in a similar situation...let me know if you have any recommendations! (Going to Tennessee if that matters)

Hi,

When I first brought my new wife to the USA, I also wanted emergency health insurance for her. We live in California and I am retired so I had to approach the insurance issue in two steps. Since I am covered by medicare I had to see about getting her her own policy at a reasonable rate. No employer insurance :( . After I contacted an independent insurance agent, he told me that she could get a comprehensive Anthem/Blue Cross policy for around $200 a month but she has to be a permanent resident for at least 3 months before we could apply for this insurance.

I wanted some coverage for these first 3 months and after researching on the internet, I came up with a compant that offered a choice of different short term limited policies. I chose a Patriot policy to cover an emergency but not doctor visits or other basic services and it cost me about $350 total for 3 months at which time I obtained her current Anthem policy. Try this website ( http://www.insubuy.com/ ) and enter your information for instant quotes for the various choices. I never had to speak to anyone to complete the process.

I hope this information helps you.

Mike

Someone posted this one:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/HealthInsurance.jpg

But I think Mikey has a better suggestion.