How much Whiskey

can we take to China? Noooooooooo NOT moonshine. :lol: but store bought whiskey. The wife is having surgery done over there and she wants to bribe the doctor into doing a good job. :blink:

You can actually buy it cheaper in China on Taobao (no taxes), but it's either 1 or 2 liters.

Chinese liquor stores I've found charge around double (for western liquor) what you'd pay in the states.

If there is a limit, I don't think it is often enforced. I've taken several bottles over at a time... My wife loves Bailey's and so I have brought the large bottles (yes plural) plus other stuff like vodka, whiskey, etc... all at once. I guess they think the heavy suitcase is just clothes :D

Personal belongings will be admitted duty free, including food, two bottles of liquor and two cartons of cigarettes.

. . . and yes, David, China is very lenient toward those who don't get caught :rolleyes: :unsure:

Seriously, though, yes, they don't often check

One problem w/ buying it in China is not being certain if it's legit or not.

Another option may be the duty-free shops in the airport. I have not used them, but may cost less than buying at a liqueur store with the added taxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty-free_shop

Another option may be the duty-free shops in the airport. I have not used them, but may cost less than buying at a liqueur store with the added taxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty-free_shop

Aren't those available only when LEAVING a country? That is, you would have to buy duty-free when departing the US, and then still have to take them through Chinese customs.

Interestingly, though, Sanya has a (downtown) duty free shop which people who are flying back to the mainland can buy from and have delivered to your departing gate at the airport.

http://en.wikipedia..../Duty-free_shop

Aren't those available only when LEAVING a country? That is, you would have to buy duty-free when departing the US, and then still have to take them through Chinese customs.

Interestingly, though, Sanya has a (downtown) duty free shop which people who are flying back to the mainland can buy from and have delivered to your departing gate at the airport.

Note checked bags still go through customs.

Simply buy a bottle or two of your preferred stuff at the duty free prior to boarding the plane leaving the USA and put it in your carry on bag.

Am I the only person who's able to confidently buy genuine things in China ??!?

Depends what your buying. And once one gets reliable sources, that's good.

Since this topic is dear to my heart :drunk: the problem is that they don't sell enough western alcohol at most places that carry it. In the case of a drink like Bailey's... the 2 year expiration is easily past by a year when you look for some. And it tastes nasty. Lulu even bought some from a trip to Taiwan and in a nice box...it was really nasty.

But some of us know that chinese jiu will kill every germ under the sun before it goes bad :ph34r:

Am I the only person who's able to confidently buy genuine things in China ??!?

Depends what your buying. And once one gets reliable sources, that's good.

Since this topic is dear to my heart :drunk: the problem is that they don't sell enough western alcohol at most places that carry it. In the case of a drink like Bailey's... the 2 year expiration is easily past by a year when you look for some. And it tastes nasty. Lulu even bought some from a trip to Taiwan and in a nice box...it was really nasty.

But some of us know that chinese jiu will kill every germ under the sun before it goes bad :ph34r:

If it ain't the real thing, I don't buy it. Part of that, though, is knowing what you're looking at

This is a genuine, Chinese plain old stereo, single layer MPEG II DVD

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff367/walserrjw/China/DVD9label.jpg

...Simply buy a bottle or two of your preferred stuff at the duty free prior to boarding the plane leaving the USA and put it in your carry on bag.

Not so fast.............this is only simple if you are not reboarding for a domestic flight.

I once filled a hot water bottle at Shanghai's Pudong airport after security and prior to boarding. They made me pour it out during a carry on backpack inspection that took place after collecting boarding passes.

My wife bought duty free perfume on the way to Hong Kong. They took it away from her carry on prior to her domestic flight.

Whats the rhyme- 4 each of 4 oz in a 1 quart bag?

...Simply buy a bottle or two of your preferred stuff at the duty free prior to boarding the plane leaving the USA and put it in your carry on bag.

Not so fast.............this is only simple if you are not reboarding for a domestic flight.

I once filled a hot water bottle at Shanghai's Pudong airport after security and prior to boarding. They made me pour it out during a carry on backpack inspection that took place after collecting boarding passes.

My wife bought duty free perfume on the way to Hong Kong. They took it away from her carry on prior to her domestic flight.

Whats the rhyme- 4 each of 4 oz in a 1 quart bag?

Very good points. Yep that may be an issue if having to go through a security checkpoint as in changing airports, or going from international airport to the domestic airport.