How much Whiskey

Am I the only person who's able to confidently buy genuine things in China ??!?

The best indication something is genuine is it costs about 150% of what it would cost in the US. I am thinking NorthFace Jackets, Nike Sneakers.

However, I have also see some good fakes that I wouldn't be surprised if they came out of the same factory the real ones are made in.

Interestingly, though, Sanya has a (downtown) duty free shop which people who are flying back to the mainland can buy from and have delivered to your departing gate at the airport.

One more example of the Chinese government changing the rules when it serves their purpose. Sanya is competing with Thailand, Bali, etc. so they don't want the availability of duty-free goods to be a factor in the choice.

Does the Sanya Duty-free have goods not normally available on the mainland?

What..... no Evan Williams? Maybe this will be good to bring.

• 3 weeks later...

STORY #1: Carried a pair of Nikes to my nephew because his mom didn't trust that she could get genuine Nike shoes in China.

STORY #2: Just before spring festival, I carried several boxes of cigars and several bottles of hootch over in my checked baggage. Crossing over from Hong Kong to China, they were checking bags (the only time in all of my trips). When I saw that, I took one of the inspectors aside and told her that I had more tobacco and liquor than the signs said that I could have. She and another inspector walked me into a room and searched my bags, inspecting the cigars and the booze. They smiled and said, "It's okay. Go now." MORAL: If they're checking bags, be honest and don't expect to slide through. :)