Moving to Hangzhou

Avs81

Hello all!

I am moving to Hangzhou China from Boston, MA with my wife in October and I need to ship 4 of our boxes to our new apartment there. The boxes are large and each of them weigh 50 pounds. If anyone here can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. UPS is too expensive right now and it looks like the best option is USPS, are there any other ways to ship without have to pay a small mortgage on them?

Bill

Edited by Avs81 (see edit history)

A way to ship things to/from China is by LTL, (Less Than Truckload). There is a few brokers that I use myself, contact me if you need their contact information. This will take quite a bit of time, and if you're in rush to retrieve your belongings or if you time it properly you might need to wait only a few days after arrival in China. We're in the Boston area too, so if you need more details let me know. LTL shipments to/from China can take a month or more to arrive. This I think would be the most cost effective way to ship in/out of the country if time is not an issue.

Good luck with your move.

Be careful sending stuff USPS, it gets transferred to EMS and it is easy to get lost in customs.

DHL/UPS/FedEx at least you can track and even that way I wouldn't ship anything that you couldn't afford to have disappear. Mission critical stuff bring with you on the plane.

Did you call the airline you will be flying on to ask the charges for the additional baggage? I brought 2 boxes each 50lbs from China one time on top of regular baggage and only paid $25 each in extra baggage fees, which was way cheaper then shipping.

$25 is very cheap, what airline did you fly? When I moved over here flying United/Asiana I paid $200 a bag each - max weight 50 lbs. The only reason I paid it was I was reimbursed by my company.

Did you call the airline you will be flying on to ask the charges for the additional baggage? I brought 2 boxes each 50lbs from China one time on top of regular baggage and only paid $25 each in extra baggage fees, which was way cheaper then shipping.

No, I didnt call the airline yet, i havent booked my tickets. I am waiting for my z visa to go through next week. Thats a good idea when I book the tickets I will ask them.

Bill

Be careful sending stuff USPS, it gets transferred to EMS and it is easy to get lost in customs.

DHL/UPS/FedEx at least you can track and even that way I wouldn't ship anything that you couldn't afford to have disappear. Mission critical stuff bring with you on the plane.

Thanks for the heads up about USPS. I was going to go with them since UPS is 1,300 bucks a least and DHL is no better. My wife wants to send our stuff by boat which I am now considering since my company wont give me the money right now.