ESL Beginner Class for Chinese spouse

Have you checked w/ your local community colleges? I know that several colleges, where we're at, offer free ESL courses

Check with The International House in Charlotte..

http://www.ihclt.org...-are.php?cat=52

Great bunch of people that can help y'all out.

I was at massage class registration this weekend, and the man who runs it said my wife's english was fine, but we asked how he deals with people who cannot speak english well.

He said he had a couple who the wife spoke almost no english, and he told her she could not attend because there is no way she could keep up.

She went to a private english class (he didn't know the name) and 2 years later she came back speaking and understanding excellent english.

We are going to check into this for one of our friends daughters. She is only 22, but with no hope of getting a good job without english, she needs to catch-up.

I hope this private class can accelerate her to be proficient quickly.

Our experience (in Austin) with community ESL classes is terrible. The Chinese people learn more spanish than english, and after 2 years have learned almost no english.. certainly not proficient enough to go to school.

Good luck

If you check with a local community college or university, if they offer free or cheap ESL or English classes, cool!

However, I know that at many universities, the ESL and English classes are ungodly expensive, like in the range of $6500USD at my former university. I don't know if it's because some foreign exchange students have to take the class and are willing to pay high prices, there's that much demand, or what the deal is. Not that you wouldn't, but definitely look at the price first and see if "it really makes sense" to fork out that much cash for a 2 or 3 month class.

Whatever the path, I know in studying Chinese myself, and seeing others study English, a base knowledge has to be obtained - you can't start from scratch. But after that, friends, family, and living in the English environment will become her best teachers and classroom. Obviously going to class won't hurt, but in my experience, actually putting your language of study to use is the best method.

We went through the Adult Education Program in our community (Spotsylvania, Virginia) for a registration fee of only $20 and a work book that cost $20. This is a branch of the community social service programs. At registration they gave each person a brief spoken test for placement within either the beginning, intermediate or advanced level classes. Classes are from 6:00 p.m to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays. I found these excellent classes through the local library. It was the best ESL classes I found so you might want to give it a shot with your local community service adult education programs.

Www.usalearns.org is a great website my wife uses it. It's free. Also my wife brought some ESL books with her from china called New concepts in English it has work books and a website in Chinese.

Robert, I gave my son and wife the wesite you mentioned and Wenyan really likes it. She has been using another website and she uses both of them now. She said to tell you she really thanks you for the site. Fengqi gets help from those sites also as he critiques his mom's english pronunciations....it's hilarious to watch or listen to them working together.....a ton of laughs (and I never knew that a mother and son could get along with each other so well) but they cover a lot of territory together and it's a great learning experience for them both.

Thanks for posting that site......

See, no matter what your wife says about you, you're an okay guy. :lol:

tsap seui

anyone has recommendation of excellent classes to enroll for Chinese who speaks no English ???

I want to get mine jump started so she can start blending into the US sociey.

We live in the Charlotte NC area.

Thanks

Hey I somehow thought you guys were Yankee's and here I see you live in Charlotte. I live on the east coast of NC. My wife liked Charlotte when we had to do all the old INS trips there, as they have a few tall buildings and she is definitely a tall building huger but loves the beach too.

anyone has recommendation of excellent classes to enroll for Chinese who speaks no English ???

I want to get mine jump started so she can start blending into the US sociey.

We live in the Charlotte NC area.

Thanks

Hey I somehow thought you guys were Yankee's and here I see you live in Charlotte. I live on the east coast of NC. My wife liked Charlotte when we had to do all the old INS trips there, as they have a few tall buildings and she is definitely a tall building huger but loves the beach too.

Heck, I was born in Mercy Hospital in Charlotte. All my relatives around there lived in Mt. Holly and Gastonia. Pretty much grew up in Guilford College (back before it was taken over by Greensboro), and a couple of years in Cary before my folks moved us up to Maryland. I loved all the seafood places, or "Fish Camps" as we called them....fried flounder and catfish, cole slaw, fries, hush puppies, and sweet tea. :lol: Still got a brother who is a dentist in Greensboro but pretty much the rest of the clan has passed on. Took me 45 years of living in Maryland, Harpers Ferry, WVA, and now Pennsyltucky to stop thinking of NC as home. :) Everybody up here thinks I am a foreigner, what with the way I tawk 'n all. :lol:

tsap seui