Computer in Zhanjiang

Sometime ago a post on the topic of buying a Dell computer for fiance/wife to use. I have gone back to the posts around the time I thought was correct but I was unable to find the post.

I would like to purchase a computer for my wife to use and then bring to the US when the time comes.

Any recent experience out there??

Ru tells me that she is not comfortable with the quality of the locally available computers in the retail shops. I didn't do enough research while I was there. I understand "Legend" has the edge as the major domestic manufacturer, they claim 30% of the market is theirs.

I'm not sure if Ru's concerns are more of a reliability of the machine issue or maybe a self-confidence issue. She uses computers in her work but her work has a relatively narrow focus on the technology used.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you, Monte

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a Dell from the Dell web site here in China. The process was pretty painless. I paid with a credit card and they faxed me some paperwork to complete and sign. They sent the PC via China Post and I got it in about 5 days. No problems at all. I even had a English speaking sales rep help me through the process. The funny thing is my wife knows one of the sales managers there. So she contacted her and got me a bit of a discount.

All in all I'm pleased with the service and prices. However, there is a 17% "value added tax" they tacked onto my bill....that sucked.

-Tim

Li and I bought a Toshiba laptop in China and brought it to the States when we came over. So far no real problems to speak of.

By the way Tim, that 17% value added tax is getting China a lot of grief from the US and the WTO. According to the WTO agreement they signed, the value added tax was to be phased out over three years. It ain't happening and there could be a fracas over this issue.

I just bought a Dell from the Dell web site here in China. The process was pretty painless. I paid with a credit card and they faxed me some paperwork to complete and sign. They sent the PC via China Post and I got it in about 5 days. No problems at all. I even had a English speaking sales rep help me through the process. The funny thing is my wife knows one of the sales managers there. So she contacted her and got me a bit of a discount.

All in all I'm pleased with the service and prices. However, there is a 17% "value added tax" they tacked onto my bill....that sucked.

-Tim

Ok,

Dell makes all of their computers in China.

What is the purpose of a value added tax?

Is it because it is a US company selling Chinese products?

Is it just a high sales tax?

----- CK -----

• 2 weeks later...

My fiancee recently bought a computer in china--(she also lives in zhanjiang) it seems she has a lot of trouble with it-I used it on a recent trip there---she had the repairman in---the computer was a mess-they had split the hard drive and the computer "master" did not even know how to defragment it--(57% fragmented)--i don't even want her to bring it to the US---but she has a nice 17" flat panel monitor that is worth while. I guess the point is it seems difficult to find anyone who really know computers in zhanjiang.

Computer prices are higher in Zhanjiang than in the states. I bought Jingwen a Legend - cost about $700, but she sold it before she left for about $400. The hardware seemed reliable, but Win98 appears to be the OS standard, and she had to re-install the software three times over the course of a year.

I did not think about buying an "American" brand such as Dell. At the time, I thought there might be problems with the electrical supply conversions with a computer configured for the US market.