Expecting our first Baby

Vinny

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is the right area for this question. My Wife an I are expecting our first child. Right now she is a stay at home Wife

and I'm the only income. She is a Permanent Resident of South Carolina and my question is my Wife able to apply for Medicaid for her Pregnancy?

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

For the most part can always apply, however if is a "means tested benefit" the .GOV can always go after the sponsor to repay.

Do you have a medical plan? This should cover this.

She can most likely apply, but your income will be taken into consideration when determining if she is eligible.Unless your income is very low,she may not be deemed eligible. Not sure how it works in South Carolina. Things used to be easier here in Tennessee as we had a state program called Tenncare. It is now pretty much defunct, except for benefits for children.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Vinny and Qing,

Hope you are doing well and it must be very exciting to expect your first baby.

So you live in S.C.? My husband and I are also moving there perhaps before Christmas. My in-laws live in Simpsonville. How's life there? We will have to look for a house/apartment to rent and a 2nd hand car and---jobs! Hope it's a nice place to live at.

Hope we can hang out some time after we move back.

Best

Linda

Generally speaking, Madicaid is for people with disability and low income. You may need to check your state requirements. Since you have your own medical plan covering your wife, I guess you probably are not eligible for Medicaid. Also even if your wife enrolls Medicaid, your health insurance always comes first to pay the bills until it runs out and Medicaid will cover the rest. Actually usually private health insurance provides very good coverage for pregnancy. My health insurance covered all the cost of pregnancy except $5 copayment for prescriptions.

Wish your wife has a safe and nice pregnancy!!

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)