Something really bothers me

Stone

I am lucky that my girls learned to drive here in the country. There are unique problems, but nothing like the insanity of big city driving.

Daughter Yawen put on many miles this summer driving to and from the hospital (150 mile RT). She let her mom drive sometimes and gave her good Chinese instruction. ...but mom, Lao Po, is a scatterbrain - which terrifies me.

Lao Po's driving is much better now than it was. I just hope she becomes competent without killing herself or anyone else...and driving only in Eureka gives her the opportunity to do that.

To you guys teaching your wives in big cities, may you have guardian angels with you and yours.

Edited by griz326 (see edit history)

I am in the same postion for driving. I have no problem with local driving but scared with driving on the highway. My husband said, you did good before you went back China, why not now? I argued "I did not drive for a long time and I need to practice more." Last weekend he pushed me into highway, which drove me and him crazy. I may end up with hirng a tutor to recall my driving ability in highways :-))

I am in the same postion for driving. I have no problem with local driving but scared with driving on the highway. My husband said, you did good before you went back China, why not now? I argued "I did not drive for a long time and I need to practice more." Last weekend he pushed me into highway, which drove me and him crazy. I may end up with hirng a tutor to recall my driving ability in highways :-))

xiao zhu,

highway driving is actually easier than city driving, no stop lights, no side streets.

The only challenge really is the speed.

Go out on Sunday morning when the roads are empty, and just drive.

What you'll find is your body/mind naturally adapt to the speed over time.

So, 45 may seem fast when you first get on the highway, but 30 minutes later it seems normal.

Then you push yourself a little to 50, then on up to whatever speed you wish to achieve.

One warning, just as you adjust up, the mind takes some time to adjust down, so when you exit OFF the highway, make a conscious decision to slow way down, and watch your speed.

It is very easy to drive 45 in a 35 when you have been driving 60 for an hour.

xiao zhu,

highway driving is actually easier than city driving, no stop lights, no side streets.

The only challenge really is the speed.

Go out on Sunday morning when the roads are empty, and just drive.

What you'll find is your body/mind naturally adapt to the speed over time.

So, 45 may seem fast when you first get on the highway, but 30 minutes later it seems normal.

Then you push yourself a little to 50, then on up to whatever speed you wish to achieve.

One warning, just as you adjust up, the mind takes some time to adjust down, so when you exit OFF the highway, make a conscious decision to slow way down, and watch your speed.

It is very easy to drive 45 in a 35 when you have been driving 60 for an hour.

Good advice.

I have seen this too many times. And, it invariably will be an Chinese woman doing it.

That's slowing down on the freeway with the blinker on, trying to get over to the slow lane to exit while cars are piling up behind and wizzing around her. :sosad:

I stressed to my wife to always go with the flow, never slower than the other cars. And, when needed, to speed up and not slow down to merge to the next lane.

I drove with my wife for over a year. first helping her prepare for the driver test. which she took about 9 months after she started to learn, she passed 1st attempt. I would let her drive to work and then oneday, she drove herself to work. I would ask her to call me once she got there so I would she was ok. It wasn't as easy as it sounds, it was stressful and difficult. but what in life worthwhile is easy?

One night she called about 11:30pm and said the put up a detour :blink: ... good thing I knew the area and was "eventually" able to tell her a different way home. Now she gets on the highway by herself, her son told me, she drives slow. I don't ride with her when she drives, she says I make her nervous. she has been driving for about 2 years now and she does well.