air plane ticket

If you have already booked your own flight as in a RT ticket, then first look at what your airline shows on their site, for example Continental or United (Essentially the same thing)

Other option in China would be visiting the travel agents on the 4th floor of the consulate building.

In my case years ago I booked my RT flight on United.com Then booked my wife's one way picking same flights and seats as my return trip.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

My wife always handled the purchase of tickets inside China. With rare exception, if any, the 'local' people's ticket price was far below the major carriers' fares, even when we bought the ticket from a major carrier ticket office in the big city.

Furthermore, for no fee, 'they' will sometimes deliver the ticket and then collect the money. (or used to do that, anyway)

In the case of e-tickets purchased on-line this is not an issue.

That it is one of the busiest times of all to book planes between China and America is the factor here.

My one way ticket back in June to here in China was only a couple of hundred of dollars cheaper than one way....it was during the start of the busy season.

Buying a ticket in March, say, is lots cheaper than "in season". One way or roundtrip. Gotta wait until later in September to get deals. :)

tsap seui

the price they quoted me is actually for beginning of Oct. around $1000 for one way is just a rip off.

I just put in Oct 6th for Guangzhou to George Bush in Houston, one way. 2 stops $795....on Travelocity

If it helps ease your pain any, In July I had to pay $1,400 each for 3 tickets one way leaving August 15th from Beijing to Washington, DC.

It's nonstop....and we didn't want to wait until September to go. Round trip for us would have been more.

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

maybe I am looking at the wrong place because all the prices we got from travel agent is more expensive than round trip ticket.

This is commonly reported on VJ, you can buy RT and not use return trip, just make sure you cancel the return trip trip after arriving in the USA.

... just make sure you cancel the return trip trip after arriving in the USA.

And, with some airlines, the unused portion of the r/t is good up to one year from the original purchase date. Change Fee, Penalty Fee and available seat price differential may be charged. Check with the airline.

... just make sure you cancel the return trip trip after arriving in the USA.

And, with some airlines, the unused portion of the r/t is good up to one year from the original purchase date. Change Fee, Penalty Fee and available seat price differential may be charged. Check with the airline.

Good point.

I will just add, the reason to make sure you cancel is there have been posts on VJ where a person runs into a snag when adjusting status or other with USCIS, sometimes the Airline screws up and shows the RT ticket being used by the original traveler, and when adjusting status it looks like the original traveler left the country.