International Driving permit from China

Looking ahead I want my fiancee to get an international driving permit from China.

Her Chinese drivers license is valid in my home state of Florida.

However, if she is stopped and they do not know it is a drivers license she can be cited.

So my question is where would she have to go in order to obtain the international driving permit before she leaves China.

Looking ahead I want my fiancee to get an international driving permit from China.

However, if she is stopped and they do not know it is a drivers license she can be cited.

So my question is where would she have to go in order to obtain the international driving permit before she leaves China.

Heck, Red, I've only gotten those permits from AAA when I traveled down under, I'd have no idea where in China to get one, but I'll bet ya can.

If you can't find out how to get one legally....

E-mail me a AAA form for one and I'll get the distinguished law firm here in Fushun of Zhang, Feng, and Wu (the Chinese version of the 3 Stooges' Beatem, Cheatem, and How) to print you up an "official" Chinese one lickity split....Would ya like red stamps all over it? No problem. It's China. :lol:

tsap seui

China doesn't recognize the International Driving Permit

The document is slightly larger than a standard passport and is essentially a multiple language translation of one's own existing driver's license, complete with photograph and vital statistics. It is not a license to operate a motor vehicle on its own.
However, a translation of the license may come in handy IF your state recognizes a Chinese driver's license.

Take a look at her license. Mine has both Chinese and English, and wouldn't need a translation ("Driving License of the People's Republic of China"), except for the name, ironically. :blink::lol: It does have a picture, though.

Heck, Red, I've only gotten those permits from AAA when I traveled down under, I'd have no idea where in China to get one, but I'll bet ya can.

If you can't find out how to get one legally....

E-mail me a AAA form for one and I'll get the distinguished law firm here in Fushun of Zhang, Feng, and Wu (the Chinese version of the 3 Stooges' Beatem, Cheatem, and How) to print you up an "official" Chinese one lickity split....Would ya like red stamps all over it? No problem. It's China. :lol:

tsap seui

Ok, here's how I did it in CHina. I went online to a place, I think in Texas, anyway it was an "International Drivers License Mill" (THink VISA MILL) printed off the instructions - complied with the instructions sent my money....and BINGO, I had both my wife's and my Chinese Drivers License - Internationalized. Too Easy! Also, my wife used it along with her CHinese Drivers license - which must be carried along with the International one - for the first year in the United States - or I should say...under her 3rd drivers test - which she finally passed! (As I remember the first time was not stopping at a stop sign and the second time was not putting on the seat belt...UGH)

Thanks everyone! She is scanning her license for me to verify. It appears that there is enough English on it that she will not need the international permit. Florida allows the use of a foreign license as long as it can be identified as a drivers License.

The thought of her and her son driving in the U.S. just scares the Bejezus out of me at this point.

I sure hope driving school isn't very expensive. :unsure:

The thought of her and her son driving in the U.S. just scares the Bejezus out of me at this point.

I only have one to worry about, but I know what you mean. Qin makes right turns onto major thoroughfares without slowing down or even turning her head left to view the oncoming traffic. She says she can see well enough through the corner of her eye. I live in a small town with a very active traffic enforcement force. I may have to add "traffic citations" into the yearly budget.

If your wife's DL is in the same format as mine, it is clearly recognizable as a Chinese drivers permit. Though it doesn't have the licencee's name in English, it does have a photo and birth date. If you want to be safe, bring a copy of it to your local DMV and ask them if it is acceptable. If they say it is, ask them to enter into their database that you appeared before them, or at least get the officer's name and ID number. Is your wife's English good enough that she can take the written drivers test in English? Unfortunately, they don't have a Chinese version of the test in Florida, but she can have an interpreter present to translate the questions for her.