Child interview

I intend on going to Guangzhou to for my Son's interview in August. My wife and I are familiar with what to expect & now on how to prepare for the interview since she attended hers last year. My question is, has anyone heard of a child being refused a visa, & if so, for what reason(s)? Thanks in advance for any response. Steve

Never heard of a child refused a visa.

Only reason I could see for a refusal would be in the case of a K-2 or K-4 visa where child would age out prior to being able to use it to come to the USA and adjust status before turning age 21.

A delay may happen if sponsor's income is not sufficient to support immigrant, and in this case the consulate would simply request a joint sponsor.

Only reason I could see for a refusal would be in the case of a K-2 or K-4 visa where child would age out prior to being able to use it to come to the USA and adjust status before turning age 21.

A delay may happen if sponsor's income is not sufficient to support immigrant, and in this case the consulate would simply request a joint sponsor.

Children HAVE been turned down for a visa if their parent(s) didn't accompany them to the interview - we even had one who was able to reverse the denial the sane day by arguing they WERE there, but hadn't been allowed in by the Chinese guards.

Make sure your child has your passport, and places it on the counter where the VO can see it (if you are not allowed into the interview).

The age has never been used as a reason for denial - the visa may be awarded up to the age of 21. The USCIS processes AOS applications, not the DOS - the consulate has always followed the law. (at least with regards to the age issue).

The age 21 is a limit for admission to the US, and is no longer used as a reason for denial of AOS.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Children HAVE been turned down for a visa if their parent(s) didn't accompany them to the interview - we even had one who was able to reverse the denial the sane day by arguing they WERE there, but hadn't been allowed in by the Chinese guards.

Make sure your child has your passport, and places it on the counter where the VO can see it (if you are not allowed into the interview).

The age has never been used as a reason for denial - the visa may be awarded up to the age of 21. The USCIS processes AOS applications, not the DOS - the consulate has always followed the law. (at least with regards to the age issue).

The age 21 is a limit for admission to the US, and is no longer used as a reason for denial of AOS.

I have a question for you, A friend of mine stepdaughter will have a visa interview on Aug 21, her mom is a US citizen, should they be there for interview? I know he would hate to have her turned down because parents were not there.( note her real father will take her but he has Chinese passport) She also just had to file a I864W so no taxes were needed would that be correct?

My stepdaughter did the same thing but that was many years ago and things may have changed.

Thanks

I have a question for you, A friend of mine stepdaughter will have a visa interview on Aug 21, her mom is a US citizen, should they be there for interview? I know he would hate to have her turned down because parents were not there.( note her real father will take her but he has Chinese passport) She also just had to file a I864W so no taxes were needed would that be correct?

My stepdaughter did the same thing but that was many years ago and things may have changed.

Thanks

I'm guessing that she is exempt from filing an I-864 because

I am under 18, unmarried, immigrating as the child of a U.S. citizen, and will automatically become a U.S. citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 upon my admission to the United States.

The I-864W doesn't call for any supporting documentation.

yes, she is eligible for (automatic) US citizenship upon admission to the US, so I doubt there would be cause for denial, UNLESS there were question as to parentage.

It would be safest to have a US citizen parent there at the interview, but that's something they'll have to weigh themselves. I would like to tell you that GUZ will do the right thing and grant her the visa, but of course we can't.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I'm not sure what to believe now. My wife told me that at least some parents were NOT allowed in the interview as their children entered the consulate. My corresponence to Guangzhou confirmed the same. I wrote to Guangzhou three or four days ago letting them know that my wife and I planned on attending, Guangzhou responded back by saying parents can't accompany their children for the interview. My son is 19 so maybe age has something to do with it, but from what I'm hearing, I doubt seriously if some one would be refused because the parents were no shows.

I'm not sure what to believe now. My wife told me that at least some parents were NOT allowed in the interview as their children entered the consulate. My corresponence to Guangzhou confirmed the same. I wrote to Guangzhou three or four days ago letting them know that my wife and I planned on attending, Guangzhou responded back by saying parents can't accompany their children for the interview. My son is 19 so maybe age has something to do with it, but from what I'm hearing, I doubt seriously if some one would be refused because the parents were no shows.

Parents are REQUIRED at the actual interview below a certain age - I forget what, but it's something like six or eight. Generally, only the person being interviewed is allowed to attend.

Above that age, you can give your child your passport to prove that you are there - in the building, but not actually at the interview.

Yes some children have been denied because their parents weren't there - one on the day of my wife's interview was able to get it reversed the same day. Another was denied the day her son interviewed because his parents weren't there. This was in 2005 and 2006

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14262-ir-2-denied-1130-am-112105/

It's not clear if this was an actual policy, an over-zealous VO, or if it's still followed. It's up to you to evaluate your own circumstances as to whether having the parent(s) accompany their child to the consulate is reasonable.