Questions on Medical Exam

I understand my wife needs both the medical exam and she is going to need vaccinations but I have a bunch of questions:

1. There is a list of four hospitals listed for vaccinations. If you want to do this in Guangzhou, it appears you would also want to do the medical at The Health Care Center of of Guangdong International Travel. Can you get both the vaccinations and medical all done in one day?
2. Our document intake is June 7(Tues) and the interview is June 8(Wed). June 6 is a Chinese Holiday (Dragon Boat Festival). Any experience whether these places are open on Chinese Holidays? I am going to have my wife call tomorrow.
3. Plan B would be to have her fly to Beijing next week and do it at Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center. Any experience with this hospital?
4. Has anyone had any experience with getting these vaccinations done elsewhere in China and just having the vaccinations verified? Is there any advantage to this?
5. My wife and I are covered by a Global Medical Plan through my work. Has anyone had success getting this reimbursed through their medical insurance?

Any experience/help is greatly appreciated.

This is where we went (bottom of the post)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39544-off-to-see-the-wizard-of-guz/page__view__findpost__p__526766

My wife had everything processed on Monday. Her interview, I believe was on a Wednesday. I seem to recall that the medical exam was an all day affair for her but she returned to our hotel with medical documents in hand. I know Guz hospitals can get everything processed in one day (at least the one my wife went to did). If you get the vaccs done at a hospital on this list

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/guangzhou/47024/IV/Medical%20instruction%20_GIV-8_%20-%20Dec_%2010.pdf

you will be fine We paid cash for Jingjing's vaccinations.

My wife went to The Health Care Center of Guangdong International Travel and it only took 1 hour for everything. We decided to come to Guangzhou on Thursday afternoon so she could do the health test on Friday. She went at 8am and was done by 9, then just had to wait till 2pm to pick up the results. She also had to have several vaccinations when she went. From what they said at the hospital and what I heard here, Monday is the day most people do it and therefore it takes much much longer. We stayed one night at the Victory Hotel which is a 2 minute walk from the clinic where the health test was done, worked out great. If you do it on Monday I assume it will take much longer, but I'm sure they can still get it all done in one day.

So you can get the vaccinations at any of the medical exam hospitals?

I think if you do it at the Guangzhou United Family Clinic they will bus you somewhere else for vaccinations, most likely the Health Care Center of Guangdong International Travel. But I'm not 100% sure on this?

My wife went to The Health Care Center of Guangdong International Travel and it only took 1 hour for everything. We decided to come to Guangzhou on Thursday afternoon so she could do the health test on Friday. She went at 8am and was done by 9, then just had to wait till 2pm to pick up the results. She also had to have several vaccinations when she went. From what they said at the hospital and what I heard here, Monday is the day most people do it and therefore it takes much much longer. We stayed one night at the Victory Hotel which is a 2 minute walk from the clinic where the health test was done, worked out great. If you do it on Monday I assume it will take much longer, but I'm sure they can still get it all done in one day.

My wife works the weekend so we would really like to leave Sunday night. Like I said, Monday June 6 is Chinese Holiday so I am afraid it might not be open. Waiting a while will be OK.

How many vaccinations did you wife need? I just asked my wife and she said she might have proof of vaccinations as the entire list on the sheet is 14 separate vaccinations? Suffice to say my wife wasn't thrilled to read that.

I think if you do it at the Guangzhou United Family Clinic they will bus you somewhere else for vaccinations, most likely the Health Care Center of Guangdong International Travel. But I'm not 100% sure on this?

That was correct as of one year ago, however, the reason for that is United Family at the time of our interview wasn't certified to give vaccinations. I know they were in the process of getting that ironed out back when we were there. Yes, if they cannot give the shots, then they do provide a shuttle service (to/from the hospital) so applicants can get that taken care of. The reason why we went to United Family is because it was close to the Yangs and my wife was checking out their facilities b/c she thought I might want to go there for an unrelated issue.

That was correct as of one year ago, however, the reason for that is United Family at the time of our interview wasn't certified to give vaccinations.

United Family is still not listed in the documentation from the embassy as being certified to do vaccinations.

I'd probably give the hosptials a call and inquire for yourself. I seem to remember that some hospitals charge a fee for getting everything wrapped up in one day. United Family, at the time, didn't.

My wife did medical and vaccinations at the medical center closest to the consulate general on Shamain Island. Yes can be done same day.

Vaccinations are age specific.

Age 18 - 64 are required to have:

• MMR
  • Td
  • Variccella (AKA Chicken Pox)
  • The FLU if in season

Table of required vaccinations: http://www.cdc.gov/i...tions.html#tbl1

http://www.cdc.gov/m...mmunization.pdf

The medical center knows exactly which to do.

Jingjing had just the first three on Dan's list.

My wife did medical and vaccinations at the medical center closest to the consulate general on Shamain Island. Yes can be done same day.

Vaccinations are age specific.

Age 18 - 64 are required to have:

• MMR
  • Td
  • Variccella (AKA Chicken Pox)
  • The FLU if in season

Table of required vaccinations: http://www.cdc.gov/i...tions.html#tbl1

http://www.cdc.gov/m...mmunization.pdf

The medical center knows exactly which to do.

Four sounds much more reasonable, this is good information.

I got three shots:

MMR

Td

•Variccella (AKA Chicken Pox)

Which is required by age. It does not matter if you had them before or not. The medical center did not want to look at my vaccination history. They just simply gave it to match the requirement. The good thing is the shots only bring a little sore on my arm for a few days.

You will find out everything when you walk in the medical center which you chooose to do medical check.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

Time for Plan B. My wife just called and the Guangzhou Medical Clinic is closed June 4-6(Sat-Mon) for Dragon Boat Festival.

So it looks like my wife (and maybe me - she wants me to go) has to go to either Shanghai or Beijing next week.

Can anyone share experiences with getting medical done in Beijing or Shanghai. I would be looking to get medical and vaccinations in one day.

I am going to contact International SOS in Beijing as I am a member but it is not clear if we can get the vaccination done there. What about the other choices?