Electronic translator for drivers license

Li got her driver’s permit today. In Beaumont TX or Houston TX it depends who you talk to if you can use an electronic translator. The first time we went to Beaumont driver’s license place the lady told us what papers we would need and I asked her if Li could use her electronic translator to take her test. The lady said yes she could. We went back the next day with the correct paper work. We got a different lady there so Li asked her if she could use her electronic translator the lady asked the lady next to her and she said it is up to you. So she asked her boss the boss said no. The boss said she could use a paper dictionary. Li took her test without anything. She did not pass had a score of 65. In TX they only have Spanish and English test.

So today we went to Houston TX to take her test. I asked the lady if Li could use a electronic dictionary. She said she did not know so she went and ask someone and came back and said she could use it. So Li took her test and passed with an 84. So now comes the fun part and teaching her how to drive.

Driving privilege is granted by state so rules varry.

Virtually all require SSN, a written test, and a road test.

My wife got to do written in Chinese, however road test will always be english speaking examiner.

Li got her driver¡¯s permit today. In Beaumont TX or Houston TX it depends who you talk to if you can use an electronic translator. The first time we went to Beaumont driver¡¯s license place the lady told us what papers we would need and I asked her if Li could use her electronic translator to take her test. The lady said yes she could. We went back the next day with the correct paper work. We got a different lady there so Li asked her if she could use her electronic translator the lady asked the lady next to her and she said it is up to you. So she asked her boss the boss said no. The boss said she could use a paper dictionary. Li took her test without anything. She did not pass had a score of 65. In TX they only have Spanish and English test.

So today we went to Houston TX to take her test. I asked the lady if Li could use a electronic dictionary. She said she did not know so she went and ask someone and came back and said she could use it. So Li took her test and passed with an 84. So now comes the fun part and teaching her how to drive.

Jiaying took her test (in Houston) with a live translator, who was able to translate the questions for her. The answers were pictorial. When she took the driver's test, no translation was needed (pointing works just fine)

Li got her driver¡¯s permit today. In Beaumont TX or Houston TX it depends who you talk to if you can use an electronic translator. The first time we went to Beaumont driver¡¯s license place the lady told us what papers we would need and I asked her if Li could use her electronic translator to take her test. The lady said yes she could. We went back the next day with the correct paper work. We got a different lady there so Li asked her if she could use her electronic translator the lady asked the lady next to her and she said it is up to you. So she asked her boss the boss said no. The boss said she could use a paper dictionary. Li took her test without anything. She did not pass had a score of 65. In TX they only have Spanish and English test.

Jiaying took her test (in Houston) with a live translator, who was able to translate the questions for her. The answers were pictorial. When she took the driver's test, no translation was needed (pointing works just fine)

They told me they use to do that. That is changed now of course ask someone else might get a different answer>

They told me they use to do that. That is changed now of course ask someone else might get a different answer>

This was in 2005 - she was able to receive both her driver's license and her EAD work permit in the mail on the same day, so, yes, some things have changed.

She had a Cantonese speaking instructor, who helped her through the written test. After she got her learner's permit, he gave her one lesson on how to operate her car, then the rest was up to me. But she pretty much just viewed me as someone to occupy the front seat and tell her how to get home.

She took her written test at the DPS office near China town, and the driving test at the DPS office 2 blocks away from us.

She adapted fairly quickly to the American style of driving, and only had one accident - with a basketball pole, 5 feet into her first solo drive after getting the full license.