Update for Jun and I

JohnP

We are doing great since our arrival in the States. My wife got her SS card but took two visits to the local office to get it. She also wanted to get a job to contribute to our success in the States so with the help of my sister she has been working full time. Making very good money too. She was excited with her first check but now its not as exciting because it is the same every week. Last week to help build her credit we purchased a new car which I cosigned for. She is doing great and we are very happy. Although now that she is working I do not see her as much as I would like. But she is not lonely and bored at home while I work now. She also got her driver's learners permit about 3 weeks ago. She worked long and hard to get it as well. Going to the DMV web site and memorizing all the questions in all the practice quizzes for each unit. When she took the test she was asked if she wanted to take it in Chinese or English. She took it in English and scored a 90, I am very proud of her in all she is doing and accomplishments.

• 2 months later...

We are doing great since our arrival in the States. My wife got her SS card but took two visits to the local office to get it. She also wanted to get a job to contribute to our success in the States so with the help of my sister she has been working full time. Making very good money too. She was excited with her first check but now its not as exciting because it is the same every week. Last week to help build her credit we purchased a new car which I cosigned for. She is doing great and we are very happy. Although now that she is working I do not see her as much as I would like. But she is not lonely and bored at home while I work now. She also got her driver's learners permit about 3 weeks ago. She worked long and hard to get it as well. Going to the DMV web site and memorizing all the questions in all the practice quizzes for each unit. When she took the test she was asked if she wanted to take it in Chinese or English. She took it in English and scored a 90, I am very proud of her in all she is doing and accomplishments.

Exciting to hear your good news!

I was wondering how good was her English when you first met and how have she learned English after that to be able to get her license to drive etc. My fiancee is going to English school now (just started 1 month ago , or so) . We can talk everyday and we figure it will take about a year and a half or two years taking English classes when she gets to Hawaii in order to get really good. Is that about right you think? I want her to get her driver's license so she can do what she wants to do and go wherever she wants instead of totally being dependent on me to get her where she wants to go. Then she will enjoy life in Hawaii and with me more.

Thanks for your post.

Wilfred

It's good to hear that she's adjusting well to life abroad. I know for Jingjing, having a job that allows her to contribute to our finances is a big boost for her.