"White Books" needed for AOS from K-3 interview?

We sent in our last "White Books" for our Marriage certificate and my wife's birth certificate with our AOS packet. Do we need any more copies of these documents for our AOS interview? I guess it is a pain in the butt to get them when we are not in China. Do we need these for any other steps in the process to become a USC in the future too?

Thanks for any help.

You should still have them, and sent a simple photo-copy...

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ff053d146a7ee010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Sometimes they ask to look at original docs at interview to verify the copies sent in to them, and in some cases if unable to produce the docs, they give you the equivalent of a blue slip requesting you to return with them.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-485PhotoCopy.png

I-485 Instruction Page 3 http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

We sent in our last "White Books" for our Marriage certificate and my wife's birth certificate with our AOS packet. Do we need any more copies of these documents for our AOS interview? I guess it is a pain in the butt to get them when we are not in China. Do we need these for any other steps in the process to become a USC in the future too?

Thanks for any help.

No - when my wife came to the US, we did not have any copies at all (except for what I had scanned into the computer). Fortunately, none were needed, but it might be a good idea to get new ones made the next time you're in China.

Thanks for the help guys! We will be happy when she has the green card in her hand so we can do some traveling internationally again. Where to go...

Green-card will allow visa free travel to our neighboring countries like Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

Europe, and any place that a PRC citizen needed a visa for will remain the same and still need a visa.

Are you adjusting status or Removing conditions on a 2 year conditional card??

I-130

10/10/08 Mailed I-130

10/25/08 NOA1 Recieved

01/21/09 NOA2 Received

01/28/09 Recieved by NVC

02/04/09 Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill

02/04/09 Received I-864 Package

02/05/09 Return Completed DS-3032

02/06/09 Pay I-864 Bill

02/11/09 Receive IV Bill

02/11/09 Pay IV Bill

K-3

10/26/08 Mailed I-129F

11/08/08 NOA1 Received

01/21/09 NOA2 Received

From your timeline, you paid NVC fees, did you get a CR-1 or pursued the K-3? OR are adjusting status from the K-3?? Would not make much sense to do K-3 if had paid all the CR-1 fees to NVC.

If removing conditions (I-751) more than likely there will NOT be an interview. Also the I-751 extension letter and expired 2 year green-card will allow international travel, however there have been some posts about having problems leaving China with the extension letter, so getting an I-551 stamp in passport may help there.

Are you adjusting status or Removing conditions on a 2 year conditional card??

I-130

10/10/08 Mailed I-130

10/25/08 NOA1 Recieved

01/21/09 NOA2 Received

01/28/09 Recieved by NVC

02/04/09 Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill

02/04/09 Received I-864 Package

02/05/09 Return Completed DS-3032

02/06/09 Pay I-864 Bill

02/11/09 Receive IV Bill

02/11/09 Pay IV Bill

K-3

10/26/08 Mailed I-129F

11/08/08 NOA1 Received

01/21/09 NOA2 Received

From your timeline, you paid NVC fees, did you get a CR-1 or pursued the K-3? OR are adjusting status from the K-3?? Would not make much sense to do K-3 if had paid all the CR-1 fees to NVC.

If removing conditions (I-751) more than likely there will NOT be an interview. Also the I-751 extension letter and expired 2 year green-card will allow international travel, however there have been some posts about having problems leaving China with the extension letter, so getting an I-551 stamp in passport may help there.

AOS from K-3. We got the first Visa that we could. At the time, I just moved back to the States from Shanghai. Looking back we should have just waited the time to get the CR-1 visa. Stupid!

DW hasn't needed to travel back to China because her parents were able to get visas to come stay with us. So we have been lucky.

We are looking into a cruise to the Bahamas for our 4 year anniversary and our celebration for the GC.

We should be getting the 10 year green card

Thanks for the help guys! We will be happy when she has the green card in her hand so we can do some traveling internationally again. Where to go...

Green-card will allow visa free travel to our neighboring countries like Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

Europe, and any place that a PRC citizen needed a visa for will remain the same and still need a visa.

Will it be easier for her to get the Shengen visa or a visa to the UK being a LPR?

AOS from K-3. We got the first Visa that we could. At the time, I just moved back to the States from Shanghai. Looking back we should have just waited the time to get the CR-1 visa. Stupid!

DW hasn't needed to travel back to China because her parents were able to get visas to come stay with us. So we have been lucky.

We are looking into a cruise to the Bahamas for our 4 year anniversary and our celebration for the GC.

We should be getting the 10 year green card

Probably would have had the 10 year card 2 years ago if pursued the CR-1 and held off using it to enter the USA until after 2 years of marriage, if it were approved less than 6 months prior to second anniversary.

Probably would have had the 10 year card 2 years ago if pursued the CR-1 and held off using it to enter the USA until after 2 years of marriage, if it were approved less than 6 months prior to second anniversary.

Yeah you are right on that one. At the time, I was stateside and she was in Hangzhou with our baby. I guess all we cared about was getting back together here.

Yeah you are right on that one. At the time, I was stateside and she was in Hangzhou with our baby. I guess all we cared about was getting back together here.

I understand that one, this is typically the K-3 was originally meant for, but the primary reason the K-3 exists, (WAITING for I-130 approval) no longer exists your I-130 was approved before the K-3 was issued, since then NVC has started closing K-3 because of the approved I-130.

I would have filed the I-485 just prior to 2 years of marriage, so the spouse would have green-card to be able to do things like travel, work, apply for a driver's license, etc...

I understand that one, this is typically the K-3 was originally meant for, but the primary reason the K-3 exists, (WAITING for I-130 approval) no longer exists your I-130 was approved before the K-3 was issued, since then NVC has started closing K-3 because of the approved I-130.

I would have filed the I-485 just prior to 2 years of marriage, so the spouse would have green-card to be able to do things like travel, work, apply for a driver's license, etc...

Luckily we are in AZ. Here they let anyone who has had a US Driver's License get one. Also here K-3 visa allowed her to get one but it expires the same day her i-94 expires. Normally it expires when you are 65. Tons of snow birds come here and they get their license and then go back to the midwest where they are not allowed to get a new one. Crazy!

I almost got hit by a driver with a "Pearl Harbor Survivor" license plate. That was almost 70 years ago!

We (actually more me) was comfortable with keeping an original and givng them an original, as I recall. It seems some of this was needed for Lil-One to go to school or something along the way. I know we dug them out a time or two to take with us to do something legal.

So we made 2-3 original translation of each document.

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)