Can I open a bank account that works in both the US and China?

Re: Unable to send money right now. They said it on the Chengdu forum, but, I'm not tech enough to realize what it meant: "Do not use a VPN for Paypal China Worldwide."

Huhhh? From wikipedia- "...A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across public networks like the Internet. "

Yep, I was using a sort of VPN. Logged out, logged in to Firefox with standard Trusteer Rapport protection and the send money from US to China went right through.

One problem solved.

did I mention- oh, brother, it's not worth attempting this with Paypal?

Dear >>>>>>
Recently, there's been activity in your PayPal account that seems unusual compared to your normal account activities. Please log in to PayPal to confirm your identity and update your password and security questions.

To help protect your account, no one can send money or withdraw money. In addition, no one can close your account, send refunds, remove any bank accounts, or remove credit cards.
What's going on?

We're concerned that someone is using your PayPal account without your knowledge. Recent activity from your account seems to have occurred from a suspicious location or under circumstances that may be different than usual.

That's it. I quit. Now the Paypal China Worldwide is locked.

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited. We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Begin a limitation review Date Limited Required Response Status Action 2013-Mar-30 Confirm your credit cardTo confirm you are the credit card owner, we'll charge a small amount to your credit card. After you confirm the amount, we'll credit your PayPal account for the amount charged. Waiting for your response 2013-Mar-30 Proof of AddressTo confirm your address, please send us a copy of a bill that shows your name and address. Helpful documents include a utility bill, a cell phone bill, an insurance bill, or a tuition bill. Waiting for your response

Yeah, right. As if my wife has any of those....from China, I mean. Oh, by the way, the name must exactly match the name you used to open the Paypal Account.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

... Helpful documents include a utility bil...

Yeah, right. As if my wife has any of those....from China, I mean. Oh, by the way, the name must exactly match the name you used to open the Paypal Account.

We get a bill for all utilities here in China and the mobile phone company will give you a paper copy if you go to their office.

... Helpful documents include a utility bil...

We get a bill for all utilities here in China and the mobile phone company will give you a paper copy if you go to their office.

Were it so simple & easy I would done it already. We (my wife & I) are in the US.

We no longer own a Chinese based cellphone.

The Electric Utility at the house we own is in my wife's father's name.

The house ownership paper is in her 'maiden' name. The Bank Accounts, and therefore, Paypal are in her US Passport name.

Don't overlook the Paypal Account requirement that all names for linked, verified, sending, withdrawing and proof of residence accounts or bills must match, exactly, the name used to create the Paypal account.

Even if I did successfuly verify the Credit card charges and jump through whatever other hoops Paypal requests, I still could neither take money from the CCB account into Paypal nor send money from Paypal to the CCB account electronically. It is not allowed.

The Paypal China Worldwide account allows only two types of transactions:

1. Wire transfer for $35. That is neither a bargain nor a benefit.

2. Free On line electronic transfer to a Hong Kong Bank Account. There in lies a partial answer. Go to Hong Kong and open an account that is also useful in Mainland China. Then, you will have electronic transfer from Paypal.

But, it's not for me. Later, 'somebody' can say how easy and great it all is and then, tell the rest of us how to do it.