When you speak, watch your tone!

Guest ExChinaExpat

how is the tone when saying this.... 妈个逼的 as I hear this phrase frequently.

How is the tone? I guess it depends on who you say it to. Does your wife often say this to you?

...not to me....but when she is playing this very popular QQ game she says it quite often...and when talking with her friends in China and describing how cold it is here in the winter, it is also referenced often.....sorry for the delay on the answer to your question, but have been having a lot of trouble just pulling the candle page up on my computer for the last few days.

My wife says this when she gets very very angry at me.She talkin my momma and gettin me pissed off.

She also throws in the word 臭 for good measures.

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

how is the tone when saying this.... Âè¸ö±ÆµÄ as I hear this phrase frequently.

My wife says this when she gets very very angry at me.She talkin my momma and gettin me pissed off.

She also throws in the word ³ô for good measures.

It is a very bad dirty word in China. Please do not say it to a Chinese in China unless this person knows you well and she/he knows it is your common words. The rule in my family is no any dirty word at any circumstances.

"³ô" Chou, has both positive and negative meaning, depends on how it is used.

• 1 month later...

Lived in China for 4 years - went over to China without knowing a single words of Chinese (didn't even know how to say hello!) ...

First things I learned were the basics - hello, counting from 0-10 and the hundreds (100, 200, 300), simple colors (red, yellow, blue, green, brown, black, white)

Next thing I graduated to was directions such as turn left, turn right, and go straight (which I still have problems saying to this day)

Finally I went on to food items because I got tired of pointing and showing fingers. My goal was to be able to go into McDonalds or KFC and be able to order without them having to pull out the dinky english menu which they often lose. I was successful at this. Then I wanted to be able to order something on the street which I was able to do, then I wanted to be able to order BBQ on the street without pointing - which I can do unless I want something I see and don't know what it is.

From here I just started expanding in random orders - I can understand way more than I can speak, and I can't read or write. For newbies going to China, I'd recommend having someone (native) write the name of your street next to your apartment / the main street near it on a piece of paper and keep it in your wallet. or have the phrase written in Chinese "Please take me to <Street Name> Road." If you're having a hard time with the taxi drive, just pull it out and let them read it. In the beginning I was often afraid to go out for fear of getting lost and not being able to get back - having this piece of paper came in handy a couple times.

Also if the taxi driver is having problems understanding you, they will often put their hands up and wave no - which is key for I don't want to take you, you can either get out, or call someone to help you at that point if they're willing to wait a moment, but if other people are standing near fighting for the taxi they'll probably just take someone else.

I learned everything on my own, from listening to people speak, asking people how to say this or what this meant and just being involved. I'd often just stay outside listening to people converse so I could get an idea of how it's used. I bought a beginner book, and while it was helpful for learning some new vocabulary, I found it difficult to study on my own since I woldn't know how to pronounce the words (even if it was written in pinying) or I'd pronounce it wrong and learn it the wrong way which was harder to fix then learning it right the first way.

Missing China - hoping to go back soon.