Stateside translations of family member statements for I-130

Based on all the posts I've read on here and VJ, I figure USCIS doesn't really care where translations were done, just that they are done. Thinking ahead to the Consulate, might they see a stateside translation of a family member statement as something to question?

Don't remember where this cam from, but . . .

Sample letter of attestation (for a non-professional translation of a non-required document (such as a relationship letter):

Telephone:

E-mail:

Qualifications of the translator:

I, hereby, attest that to the best of my knowledge and ability, the translation of the consent and/or other relevant document(s) from [specify language] to English for the attached document is complete and accurate.

Signature of Translator

Date of Translation

[/indent]

This is a statement from one of your wife's family members in Chinese? Is there a reason why they can't get it done in China?

Correct. The statement was already sent to me and it's a good statement. While it was translated, the translation A) did not have the attestation statement required by USCIS (which Randy quoted) and B] it was just as well that it did not have the attestation statement because the translation was not a good translation. I'm looking to get it (the translation) done stateside since it's in my possession now. However, being the analyst that I am, I started thinking would personnel at the Consulate use having something as simple as where a statement was translated (stateside or China) as an "issue."

Edited by Ryan H (see edit history)

I think such statements can be notarized in either China or USA at your most conveniences. Actually in my opinion it is necessary to get them translated but not necessary to be notarized. I do not think Guangzhou would question where these documents are translated and notarized (except her birth certificate, police certificate and marriage certificate if you married in China).

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

I think such statements can be notarized in either China or USA at your most conveniences. Actually in my opinion it is necessary to get them translated but not necessary to be notarized. I do not think Guangzhou would question where these documents are translated and notarized (except her birth certificate, police certificate and marriage certificate if you married in China).

Correct if USCIS has no problem with tha translation of a document, then consulate will not second guess it. Becides if they question it, they will simply have someone at the consulate verify the translation, they do have people on staff that can read Chinese.

Based on all the posts I've read on here and VJ, I figure USCIS doesn't really care where translations were done, just that they are done. Thinking ahead to the Consulate, might they see a stateside translation of a family member statement as something to question?

Our US immigration attorney's former law partner did our Chinese to English translations (she's originally from Taiwan) and we had no problems before or during ChunMei's interview at GUZ.