You do not have to wait till the AOS to get your SSN.

I got it before I married my husband. We simply went to the local office and filled out some forms. It was mailed to us 1 or 2 weeks later. Do not forget to bring the applicant's passport with you to the office. They need to check the visa and etc.

Guest Long_strider

Yes, you can obtain an SSN on the K-1 visa. It will indicate on the SSN that authorization to work must be provided. The process can take several weeks depending upon whether or not information has been entered into the BCIS computer. If not, the SSA will send a request to BCIS for verification of status before issuing the SSN. This slows the process down a bit. If you are here on the 90 day K-1 visa, it may take 1-3 months to obtain the SSN number. Ours took about 6 weeks and had a spelling error that required another visit to the local SSA office to obtain a corrected card.

Make sure when you apply that you have a copy of the passport, K-1 visa, and birth certificiate. If you have already married, bring an offical copy of the marriage certficate. If you have decided upon the "married name" than use this on the SSN application. If you are not married and plan on changing the name after you marry, then you will need to go back to the SSA office to have a new card issued in the new married name.

Propbably more info than you need. But this is the short version!

Hope this is helpful.

Mi

Yes, you can obtain an SSN on the K-1 visa.  It will indicate on the SSN that authorization to work must be provided.  The process can take several weeks depending upon whether or not information has been entered into the BCIS computer.  If not, the SSA will send a request to BCIS for verification of status before issuing the SSN.  This slows the process down a bit.  If you are here on the 90 day K-1 visa, it may take 1-3 months to obtain the SSN number. Ours took about 6 weeks and had a spelling error that required another visit to the local SSA office to obtain a corrected card.

Make sure when you apply that you have a copy of the passport, K-1 visa, and birth certificiate.  If you have already married, bring an offical copy of the marriage certficate.  If you have decided upon the "married name" than use this on the SSN application.  If you are not married and plan on changing the name after you marry, then you will need to go back to the SSA office to have a new card issued in the new married name.

Propbably more info than you need.  But this is the short version!

Hope this is helpful.

Mi

Great to hear from you again Mi ! We don't hear enough from you. Lost in marital bliss I presume. Any progress on bringing the inlaws over for a visit?

As with most things, each office seems to have different rules. We had to present marriage certificate before they would even begin the SSN process. In any case, you can get it before AOS. Ours took a little longer than most due to the fact that BCIS was slow in entering Li into the computer system. Even with SSN, you will need EAD to work legally.

My local SSA office told me "flat no!" when I applied for my wife. Later that day I called the SSA main office and they said the same thing. I was told that a green card was needed first.

If some of you have received a SSN with litte or no problems then how can they deny me?

This is strange indeed. I think that what they must mean is that you need EAD first. I know Robert S. had problems getting his lady a SSN card and had to first obtain EAD. Green card takes a long time in most places. I suggest you call again, not the local office, but the national one. See if you get a different answer. :unsure:

My local SSA office told me "flat no!" when I applied for my wife. Later that day I called the SSA main office and they said the same thing. I was told that a green card was needed first.

If some of you have received a SSN with litte or no problems then how can they deny me?

This is strange indeed. I think that what they must mean is that you need EAD first. I know Robert S. had problems getting his lady a SSN card and had to first obtain EAD. Green card takes a long time in most places. I suggest you call again, not the local office, but the national one. See if you get a different answer. :unsure:

I get a different answer on everything all the time it seems but you are right. At first you don't succeed....well, you know the old saying....lolol.

I found out that same day from the SSA that a SSN isn't needed to obtain a driver's license. I went to the DMV and the lady told me a SSN is needed. I told her that is not what SSA said. We went around a few minutes on this until that lady was lost and didn't know what she was talking about! She finally said, "just bring in everything your wife has and we'll take it from there."......... :(

Hmm.. this could get interesting..  In my state, you're required to have an SSN or resident alien id to get married.  If it takes more than 3 months to get our ssn, things could get rather.. difficult..

Might be a good idea to get married in another state if you have to. Maybe Vegas. You could visit Dave G. :unsure:

Go to the SS web site and you can get the form to fill out and the info that you need. If you are married and using a new name, put it on the form and take the marrage certificate.

I think that the K-1 s are all given a letter saying that they should get the SSN as soon as possible. EAD is not needed.

Well,

I will cross that bridge when it comes.

Unfortunately, each state is different.

Missouri uses the SS# on the drivers license, although I am pretty sure you can use a "generated number" if need arises.

Oregon creates their own drivers license numbers, so I would assume that all one would need is proof of residence, proof of age, and proof of identity. A passport and a letter with her address on it should be sufficient unless something has changed since I got my first DL.

----- Clifford ----

For some inscrutable reason, a K1 can get an SSN without having the EAD first. But a K3 must have the EAD beforehand. I looked up the regulations on the SSA web site. Crazy, huh?

Most states require an SSN to get a driver's license, though according to their web site the SSA has been trying to get the states to adopt another method and a few have complied.

I thought, recently, a law (although, more than likely, a procedure) was enacted that allowed for the application of an SSN to be submitted when the K1/K3 is approved. On form DS-230, page four, item 33b, there is an opportunity to have your immigration information shared with the SSA for the purpose of assigning a SSN. Maybe I'm confused, it is Saturday :blush:..