Carl's guitar project.

warpedbored

So what is a go deck used for?

A go deck is a clamping device. it has a top and a bottom and you spring thin rods to make downward pressure. It allows you to put a clamp anywhere on the top or back and helps form the radius of the top. An acoustic guitar top is not flat. It is actually a dome, most commonly a 25 foot radius. I have a radius dish that I will put the top on when I am ready to glue down the braces. The go bars will put downward pressure on the braces and top to form it into a perfect radius. I am going to use it first to glue down my rosette.

Ok now I see it a few posts up. Interesting device to radius the wood.

I haven't been working on it much lately. It seems every step requires some new jig or device to do that step. To inlay the rosette for instance I needed to build the go deck. Now I'm working on my circle cutting jig so I can route the grove for the rosette but it isn't as precise yet as I need it. If it isn't right I'll ruin the sound board and that will cost me time and money. I would rather proceed slowly and not make any major mistakes.

I haven't been working on it much lately. It seems every step requires some new jig or device to do that step. To inlay the rosette for instance I needed to build the go deck. Now I'm working on my circle cutting jig so I can route the grove for the rosette but it isn't as precise yet as I need it. If it isn't right I'll ruin the sound board and that will cost me time and money. I would rather proceed slowly and not make any major mistakes.

Certainly no need to hurry. Making a guitar is a work of art IMO and better done slowly for precision purposes. Keep us up on how it is going.

Cool guitar. After I finish this one I am going to build a Martin OM similar to the ones made in the 30s. After that maybe a dreadnaught.

Martin OM circa 1929

http://www.vintagemartin.com/Martin33_OM18_front2.jpg

cool guitar. After I finish this one I am going to build a Martin OM similar to the ones made in the 40s. After that maybe a dreadnaught.

Thanks Carl.

I am a very sensitive to music and vibrations. I also appreciate woodworking.

I'd like to give it a try.

The finish on mine doesn't show very well in this pic. It is not glossy, except where my elbow has polished it. I've never seen one without a finish before.

Edited by slw268 (see edit history)

Cool guitar. After I finish this one I am going to build a Martin OM similar to the ones made in the 30s. After that maybe a dreadnaught.

Martin OM circa 1929

http://www.vintagemartin.com/Martin33_OM18_front2.jpg

I've had mine since around '94 and I play a lot.

Only a few minor scratches. Course, nobody is allowed to touch it! :ph34r:

Except this one guy who worked in a music store in Fouzhou, he did some neck work on it. Plays like silk now. I liked that guy.

But nobody else! Well maybe one or two close musician friends, But that's it!

Wow! Since '94. Spanning two centuries.

Solid ax.

• 1 month later...

Lately I've been doing stuff like making templates, working on my side bender and building more jigs. One of the frustrating things about building your first guitar is every step of the way requires making more jigs. My second guitar should be easier since I'll already have them. Well most of them anyway. Since guitar #2 will be an OM style I'll have to build a bending form and an assembly mold for it. Today I built a fret bender. Only classical guitar fret boards are flat or nearly flat. Most acoustic guitars have a 16 inch radius. Electric guitars are usually 12 inch radius. It came out pretty good and works like a champ. On eBay, Stewmac or LMI they are $65.00 and up. I built mine for about $5.00 worth of hardware and an old UHMW cutting board.

http://oi52.tinypic.com/smu13o.jpg

You have a talent, Carl. I admire people like you and my father who hold such abilities.