About Paypal in China, you can use the Paypal Debit card in various ATMs. So I put the money in the account via the website, she pulls it out there at the ATM next to the apartment. Handy location that.

On the statements, I can get them to write them easily enough. I wonder how necessary it be that they be sworn and notarized. I don't exactly have a notary laying around here. :)

Ok, I see, it's a debit card, not a download to a bank account.

I know that some have just submitted written statements but the instructions said "sworn". It's up to you.

I wonder if it could be possibly useful to have a certified copy.. if even a slight chance.. hmmm...

Instructions said "photocopy". I would go with that.

On bio page: Here is a link Dan provided in another thread:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

•  
  • Birth Certificates
  • Court and Prison Records
  • Deportation Documentation
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Marriage Termination Documentation
  • Military Records
  • Petitioner Documents
  • Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page
  • Photographs
  • Police Certificates
  • Adoption Documentation

But the passport pictures are apparently not needed for NVC but for GUZ.

This say above "photocopy", for this purpose. For the ITIN application, it needs to be a certified copy.

I wonder if it could be possibly useful to have a certified copy.. if even a slight chance.. hmmm...

Note that list is what is needed at the NVC stage, if doing electronic processing you will be scanning and emailing this stuff to NVC, no certified copies needed, and becideds if not doing electronic process it still only needs to be a plain photo copy.

•  
  • Birth Certificates
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Military Records
  • Petitioner Documents
  • Photographs
  • Police Certificates
  • Adoption Documentation

This say above "photocopy", for this purpose. For the ITIN application, it needs to be a certified copy.

Note that list is what is needed at the NVC stage, if doing electronic processing you will be scanning and emailing this stuff to NVC, no certified copies needed, and becideds if not doing electronic process it still only needs to be a plain photo copy.

Got it, so not so useful. Why wouldn't someone do the electronic processing?

Concerning money: Married couples generally do not live in separate countries. So it's hard to apply a simple rule that married couples generally co-mingle. Is she sending any of her money to the US to co-mingle? I could as easily say a sham marriage will expect the man to send money. I think most arguments are really hard to make. We should keep historical cases in mind.

Concerning sworn statements: What would they say? Have they meet her? If people want to use sworn statements, they should have meet or talk directly with her (preferably on a phone, IMO).

As David said persons supplying affidavits need to have interacted with both of you as a couple.

The sworn statements my family is writing on our behalf are now starting to arrive. Reading what David wrote about talking over the phone, only my mom has done that. As for everyone else it has just been email or Facebook. A friend of mine also wrote a statement but he has never interacted with her so given what Dan and David have written, perhaps I should not use his statement.

As for the finances, I have added my wife as an authorized user to my credit cards, although she will not be using them until after her arrival since they are here with me.

I've also thought of adding her as a beneficiary to my 401k plan and putting her name on the title of my vehicle.

Concerning money: Married couples generally do not live in separate countries. So it's hard to apply a simple rule that married couples generally co-mingle. Is she sending any of her money to the US to co-mingle? I could as easily say a sham marriage will expect the man to send money. I think most arguments are really hard to make. We should keep historical cases in mind.

Concerning sworn statements: What would they say? Have they meet her? If people want to use sworn statements, they should have meet or talk directly with her (preferably on a phone, IMO).

I forgot to mention I'll be adding her to the 401k, life insurance, health insurance, and all those other things you usually do for a wife.

As David said persons supplying affidavits need to have interacted with both of you as a couple.

The sworn statements my family is writing on our behalf are now starting to arrive. Reading what David wrote about talking over the phone, only my mom has done that. As for everyone else it has just been email or Facebook. A friend of mine also wrote a statement but he has never interacted with her so given what Dan and David have written, perhaps I should not use his statement.

As for the finances, I have added my wife as an authorized user to my credit cards, although she will not be using them until after her arrival since they are here with me.

I've also thought of adding her as a beneficiary to my 401k plan and putting her name on the title of my vehicle.

I'm not sure about putting her on the car. I'd like to, just not sure how to do it. As to the 401k, that sounds like a good idea. Also life insurance and medical insurance of course. In short, all the things you'd do for any other new wife.

Edited by foobaz123 (see edit history)

•  
  • Birth Certificates
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Military Records
  • Petitioner Documents
  • Photographs
  • Police Certificates
  • Adoption Documentation

Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page is just a copy of her Valid Passport Biographic Data Page. It does not need to be certified/notarized for NVC and GUZ. Guangzhou will look at her passport at interview and verify its validity. Photographs in the list refer to her recent pictures for visa purpose. If you do electronic processing, scan her pictures and send them together with other required documents to NVC.

As for adding her to your credit card/housing etc, we did not do that. What we have is marriage certificate and joint tax return. Certainly married for three years and having a baby are the plus to us.

Got it, so not so useful. Why wouldn't someone do the electronic processing?

A few reasons.

• Using a lawyer, and lawyer does not know about the electronic process that is unique to only a few consulates, Guangzhou, and Montreal are the few that I can think of, most consulates do not have a optional electronic NVC process.
  • Petitioner is not aware either, and did not see mention of this either on the consulate or state department websites
  • Uncertainty with the process, is still indicated to be in a "testing" phase, even-though has been offered for nearly two years now.
  • K-1/K-2 visa, then nothing is sent to NVC anyway.

Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page is just a copy of her Valid Passport Biographic Data Page. It does not need to be certified/notarized for NVC and GUZ. Guangzhou will look at her passport at interview and verify its validity. Photographs in the list refer to her recent pictures for visa purpose. If you do electronic processing, scan her pictures and send them together with other required documents to NVC.

As for adding her to your credit card/housing etc, we did not do that. What we have is marriage certificate and joint tax return. Certainly married for three years and having a baby are the plus to us.

Copy of baby's birth cert is one of the things mentioned as something to include in the I-130 petition, for bonafide marriage relationship. That one slam-dunks the petition, no way for a denial on bonafide relationship grounds.

Copy of baby's birth cert is one of the things mentioned as something to include in the I-130 petition, for bonafide marriage relationship. That one slam-dunks the petition, no way for a denial on bonafide relationship grounds.

Yes, you are right, dnoblett. We have a copy of our baby's birth certificate in the petition and it was approved smoothly. We are so grateful of having him. Actually when we started the process, we were thinking if it was necessary to do something like opening joint bank account. But both my husband and I were confident with our petition. Now I think it over, I still think creating joint account/property etc may be helpful but not necessary, especially before you are married. My husband owns a condo. I never thought to add me into it after we married. In my view it is his own property before our marriage. What we own jointly is what we get/gain/work for as a couple. I may be wrong since I am not quite familiar with US relevant laws. It is just my thought. Maybe I should take some actions now :D

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)