Going to the Chapel and I'm..

I hate to ask such a silly question but I tried to read back posts and see no mention. So forget my ignorance.

How did you meet?

How long have you known each other?

How many visits have you made to china to see her?

How many actual days together have you had with her?

These are questions that the consulate might think; well, maybe they don't care about such things for deciding on issuing a visa; I could be wrong.

I am curious as to the above answers, and what is your ultimate goal in life with her?

Based on some answers above, I can tell you whether your following a successful path or not. Or just ignore me.

-- added --

Just read your recently divorce... now it gets more important. you want to be married without a visa or married with a visa? You may find that this is not like finger paint.

The goal is to be married and then go for the CR1.

As to your questions:

How did you meet?:

Met through random Skype search on my part. Wasn't looking for her, wasn't really particularly looking. Fate works in weird ways at times.

How long have you known each other?:

For a bit more than two years as friends, as more than friends for somewhat over a year.

Current total is 4, 5 next month, 6 by the probable interview date. If the interview is pushed clear to 2012, then 7.

Not enough. 40 or so off the top of my head. It's 0144 and my brain is tired. I'd have to look at the calendar and count them up to be more accurate.

I hate to ask such a silly question but I tried to read back posts and see no mention. So forget my ignorance.

How did you meet?

These are questions that the consulate might think; well, maybe they don't care about such things for deciding on issuing a visa; I could be wrong.

I am curious as to the above answers, and what is your ultimate goal in life with her?

Based on some answers above, I can tell you whether your following a successful path or not. Or just ignore me.

-- added --

Just read your recently divorce... now it gets more important. you want to be married without a visa or married with a visa? You may find that this is not like finger paint.

As to your questions:

How did you meet?:

Met through random Skype search on my part. Wasn't looking for her, wasn't really particularly looking. Fate works in weird ways at times.

For a bit more than two years as friends, as more than friends for somewhat over a year.

Current total is 4, 5 next month, 6 by the probable interview date. If the interview is pushed clear to 2012, then 7.

Not enough. 40 or so off the top of my head. It's 0144 and my brain is tired. I'd have to look at the calendar and count them up to be more accurate.

You said you were recently divorced; yet 4-5 visits to her by next month.

If I have this obvious question, so will GUZ. Did you explain this as part of an "Evolution of Relationship" letter (EOR)?

I can tell you a lot of Americans get married over there and have yet to see a post about having problems with the certificates issued by the Consulates.

This is not something to stress about.

I also think you don't have to wait and do it at the Consulate, you can do it in the States. I am not clear on the exact procedure to do it in the States but a State or Local government office should be able to do it for you.

You can get it done stateside (I did). Here's how: write your statement that states how you are currently eligible to marry and have it notarized. Send the notarized statement to the Secretary of State's office. Your Secretary of State's office should have a section on their website that explains what to do, where to send, etc. Once you receive the statement and accompanying document back, send it to the Chinese Consulate that has jurisdiction for your state (in some cases, this is the Embassy in DC). The Consulate (or Embassy) will have instructions on their respective websites on what to do.

Aside from skipping the visit to GUZ, is there any advantage to doing it this way? Also, how long would it likely take at the Embassy? I had read that some people were having problems with people in China rejecting certs issued here in the states and that is why I was thinking of getting it at GUZ. My flight leaves for over there the middle of next month.

For us, it was considerably cheaper to do it in the States. That's why we did it that way. Once we reached the Sec of State building, it took 15 minutes. Also there was no appointment needed - you simply walked in your request. If you go to Guangzhou or another consulate, you have to first make an appointment - see link below. As far as the effectiveness - there is no difference. If you have an appointment, the actual process of getting a marriage cert will be fairly fast. I can't see it taking longer than 1 hour. If you do get it in the States, you'll need to have it translated in China before you take it to the marriage bureau (If you don't do this, it will get refused). That wasn't an issue for us, and was done relatively cheaply. If you life close to a consulate and are already in China, I'd just get one over there. For us, we wanted to do it the cheapest route possible b/c Jingjing was busy spending all of my money on our wedding/honeymoon.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/service.html

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

I also think you don't have to wait and do it at the Consulate, you can do it in the States. I am not clear on the exact procedure to do it in the States but a State or Local government office should be able to do it for you.

You can get it done stateside (I did). Here's how: write your statement that states how you are currently eligible to marry and have it notarized. Send the notarized statement to the Secretary of State's office. Your Secretary of State's office should have a section on their website that explains what to do, where to send, etc. Once you receive the statement and accompanying document back, send it to the Chinese Consulate that has jurisdiction for your state (in some cases, this is the Embassy in DC). The Consulate (or Embassy) will have instructions on their respective websites on what to do.

Aside from skipping the visit to GUZ, is there any advantage to doing it this way? Also, how long would it likely take at the Embassy? I had read that some people were having problems with people in China rejecting certs issued here in the states and that is why I was thinking of getting it at GUZ. My flight leaves for over there the middle of next month.

My wife's friend's husband from the states brought his Affidavit of Single Status from stateside and was denied, he had to go to GUZ. He was telling me how upset he was when they told him he needed to go to GUZ. The funny thing is I used his as a template when I had mine done from stateside and it was accepted.

I just came back a week ago from Guilin, LiYuan and I registered in Yulin, her hometown. I had single certificate from Guangzhou,they would not accept it without a Chinese translation of it. The lady could not read English and said she would not take it without the local University translating it to Chinese as well. Cost 300rmb to have it done and red stamped by the professor, seems he translates all the single certificates for the marriage bureau in Yulin.

I think it is up to the local marriage bureau and what they want. Good luck

How did you meet?

-- added --

As to your questions:

How did you meet?:

You said you were recently divorced; yet 4-5 visits to her by next month.

If I have this obvious question, so will GUZ. Did you explain this as part of an "Evolution of Relationship" letter (EOR)?

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear. I've been to see her 4 times since early 2010, and a fifth time next month. When I say that I was recently divorced, that means that it was final and "divorced on paper". Make sense?

I've been to see her 4 times since early 2010, and a fifth time next month. When I say that I was recently divorced, that means that it was final and "divorced on paper". Make sense?

a little more sense. I was trying to get an idea of how many visits you made still while [technically] married vs how many after divorced. The higher number of visits is always beneficial, so glad that.

I've been to see her 4 times since early 2010, and a fifth time next month. When I say that I was recently divorced, that means that it was final and "divorced on paper". Make sense?

a little more sense. I was trying to get an idea of how many visits you made still while [technically] married vs how many after divorced. The higher number of visits is always beneficial, so glad that.

I've tried to go as often as I could. My only real limit has been vacation time and thankfully my company and manager have been a lot of help in that area. The annoying bit is how long it actually took to get the divorce "final". More annoying since there wasn't anything really to fight over and all the questions were more or less resolved months ago. Bloody lawyers caused 80% of the delay.

• 1 month later...

I can tell you a lot of Americans get married over there and have yet to see a post about having problems with the certificates issued by the Consulates.

Funny you said that then... we seem to have had our certificate from the consulate rejected on the grounds it isn't one from the states... more to follow..

Funny you said that then... we seem to have had our certificate from the consulate rejected on the grounds it isn't one from the states... more to follow..

Okay... we got that sorted.. yay... so we're married now.. very happy... now.. paperwork

Okay... we got that sorted.. yay... so we're married now.. very happy... now.. paperwork

Congrats!!